Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:02 AM

798 posts, read 1,035,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The OPs points of comparison was "proximity to other regions." So you think that the Northwest isn't just as close to "other regions" as the Deep South is? In what way is it further from it's adjacent regions? It wasn't proximity to "better" cities. And I'm sorry to hear you don't find the things in Milwaukee that you need, but have to travel to other cities to find it.
Tbf, if you want to watch a NFL game live and you live in Portland, you'd have to go to Seattle. And (unfortunately) if you want to watch an NBA game live in Seattle, you'd have to go to Portland. So in this way they aren't different from Milwaukee.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:06 AM

542 posts, read 1,109,113 times
Boise trounces any city in South Carolina? Please explain this.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:01 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,171,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
Tbf, if you want to watch a NFL game live and you live in Portland, you'd have to go to Seattle. And (unfortunately) if you want to watch an NBA game live in Seattle, you'd have to go to Portland. So in this way they aren't different from Milwaukee.
Right, and I was just using my personal experience to shed light on why proximity to other metros can be a legitimate plus. People from Chicago (which has more to offer than any city in either region being compared here) come up to Wisconsin all the time, I've never understood putting down stakes in a 5-mile radius and never leaving when there's a whole world out there. Not even NYC/Tokyo/Paris can give you everything.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
Yeah, Tennesssee, North Carolina, and Florida should've been included in this argument. Lets be real, I live in the deep south and outside of Atlanta; Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, and even Boise trounces on any city in South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, and maybe Louisiana. New Orleans can possibly compete with Boise possibly *maybe* Portland, but even they probably have a bit more going on economically than New Orleans would. And although I love ATL to death, even Seattle seems to be able to compete well with Atlanta. So, if you can add at least maybe one of the extra three states(Florida is definitely deep south geographically), then the PacNW beats us out in most of these. If you add at least Florida, then we would have a fair argument.
Let's be honest though, New Orleans is a lot more interesting than Boise. I'd take New Orleans over Portland in some categories as well. Charleston is better than Boise as well...

I'll take Boise over somewhere like Columbia, South Carolina or Augusta or Macon, Georgia however...

Last edited by Deezus; 06-19-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 11:27 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,690,100 times
Born and raised in the deep south, have been all over every southern state except South Carolina. Have family in MS, AL, GA, FL, TX, LA, NC, and TEN. Pacific Northwest wins by a mile.

I see some false information. "Deep south because I don't like cold". Seattle does not get cold. Portland does not get cold. They have moderate wonderful temps year around. The coastal towns in Oregon and WA do not get cold. Tennessee and North Carolina may not be Minnesota cold, but they are pretty cold in the winter. Not to mention the hot humid summers of all the southern states. Big bugs, mosquitos, etc. Not to mention the ultra slow pace of life in the south. Give me the Pacific North west 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

On a side note, I find Dallas winters to be more bone chilling than say a Butte, Montana winter, which I've experiened. 10 degrees in the arid dry climate of Montana was easy. I walked to work in the snow during the months of November and December and it never bothered me. Meanwhile, the humid and windy 30 degree winter in Dallas to me feels miserable.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:19 PM

798 posts, read 1,035,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Born and raised in the deep south, have been all over every southern state except South Carolina. Have family in MS, AL, GA, FL, TX, LA, NC, and TEN. Pacific Northwest wins by a mile.

I see some false information. "Deep south because I don't like cold". Seattle does not get cold. Portland does not get cold. They have moderate wonderful temps year around. The coastal towns in Oregon and WA do not get cold. Tennessee and North Carolina may not be Minnesota cold, but they are pretty cold in the winter. Not to mention the hot humid summers of all the southern states. Big bugs, mosquitos, etc. Not to mention the ultra slow pace of life in the south. Give me the Pacific North west 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

On a side note, I find Dallas winters to be more bone chilling than say a Butte, Montana winter, which I've experiened. 10 degrees in the arid dry climate of Montana was easy. I walked to work in the snow during the months of November and December and it never bothered me. Meanwhile, the humid and windy 30 degree winter in Dallas to me feels miserable.
Have we been to the same Dallas? The lowest it usually gets is around low 40s except for a week in December and February. Within days, it rises back up 50-60s. I have witnessed this for at least 12 years, since I can't remember anything past that. And humid? Yeah compared to Arizona maybe.

Ultra slow pace of life? I'm sure in most small towns everything is slower, but I do not see that in bigger cities like Atlanta and New Orleans. You drive on GA 400 during the day? Traffic is moving at least 75 mph when the conditions are good. I would guess that cities like Yakima and Eugene would be similar to Augusta and Shreveport. The mosquitos really aren't that bad, and if you put on bug spray they don't even come near you. The stuff is almost like lotion now, feels good on the skin. And big bugs? They seem pretty normal-sized to me

Those commenting negative on the PNW weather were more concerned with the drizzling and cloud cover. There is a difference between the type of storms that each region receives. The South generally receives a thunderstorm that lasts for a relatively short period of time. The PNW, as I have heard, tends to get showers that can last well into the day.

Again, my reasoning for choosing the South is because of the friendliness of the people, economy, food, and weather. Seattle was voted the city with the rudest people 2 years ago. But aside from that, nothing in the South really beats the PNW IMO. And the scenery in the PNW is lightyears better than the South.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:30 PM

644 posts, read 1,019,868 times
Seattle may be the coldest city that doesnt snow. The rain and misting makes colder than most people make it out to be.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:00 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,690,100 times
Quote:
Have we been to the same Dallas? The lowest it usually gets is around low 40s except for a week in December and February. Within days, it rises back up 50-60s. I have witnessed this for at least 12 years, since I can't remember anything past that. And humid? Yeah compared to Arizona maybe.

Ultra slow pace of life? I'm sure in most small towns everything is slower, but I do not see that in bigger cities like Atlanta and New Orleans. You drive on GA 400 during the day? Traffic is moving at least 75 mph when the conditions are good. I would guess that cities like Yakima and Eugene would be similar to Augusta and Shreveport. The mosquitos really aren't that bad, and if you put on bug spray they don't even come near you. The stuff is almost like lotion now, feels good on the skin. And big bugs? They seem pretty normal-sized to me

Those commenting negative on the PNW weather were more concerned with the drizzling and cloud cover. There is a difference between the type of storms that each region receives. The South generally receives a thunderstorm that lasts for a relatively short period of time. The PNW, as I have heard, tends to get showers that can last well into the day.

Again, my reasoning for choosing the South is because of the friendliness of the people, economy, food, and weather. Seattle was voted the city with the rudest people 2 years ago. But aside from that, nothing in the South really beats the PNW IMO. And the scenery in the PNW is lightyears better than the South.
We have ice storms (as everyone loves to call them), usually twice a year. Which ultimately shuts down the entire city. Dallas average 14 days below freezing in Jan and 8 in Feb. That's not alot by any stretch, but what I'm saying is it feels colder than places i've been where it's drier. Even the 40 degree average just feels colder. I've had some transplants from colder places make the same comment.

As far as bugs, man the mosquitos and roaches in my hometown in MS can carry small children away!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times
Quote:
Well, considering this thread is about the REGION, what difference does it make what's available in Seattle and what's in Portland? They're both in the same region.

And Milwaukee is in neither region, so really ... who cares.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:45 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
Right, and I was just using my personal experience to shed light on why proximity to other metros can be a legitimate plus. People from Chicago (which has more to offer than any city in either region being compared here) come up to Wisconsin all the time, I've never understood putting down stakes in a 5-mile radius and never leaving when there's a whole world out there. Not even NYC/Tokyo/Paris can give you everything.
But it's not metros being discussed ... it's regions. Two whole different things. Chicago and Wisconsin are in the same region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City