Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 05:44 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Why would Idaho be part of the Pacific NW? Phoenix is closer to the ocean than Boise, is it part of the Pacific SW? There's the NW(Montana included) and the PNW (Oregon, Washington).

As far as whats Deep South, East TX and the FL panhandle are about as Deep South as you can get.
Pacific is often used loosely for the region, but more commonly Northwest is used, or sometimes you will see it broken down to be Pacific Northwest for the coastal areas and Inland Northwest for eastern OR, WA and all of Idaho.

Idaho is included as part of the Northwest because the mountains in Idaho, from the north to the south of the state, feed the rivers that begin on the western side of the Continental Divide (which accounts for a lot of Idaho's eastern state line), through all of Idaho and into the Snake and Columbia river systems. Salmon spawn in the wilderness of Idaho, swim to the Pacific Ocean and then come back home to Idaho to die. That alone ties the region together imo. It is amazing and sacred to see a huge Idaho born salmon that swam back from the Pacific Ocean dodging whitewater rapids on one of Idaho's many rivers looking for their home so that they die. Redfish Lake in the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho gets its name from the red salmon.

There is a inland seaport town in North/Central Idaho named Lewiston in which ocean barges actually utilize the Columbia River and on to the Snake River and ship goods to and from the Port of Lewiston. This is the furthers inland seaport in the USA, all tied together with Portland and the ocean by water.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:48 PM

604 posts, read 1,521,911 times
Quote:
Why would Idaho be part of the Pacific NW? Phoenix is closer to the ocean than Boise, is it part of the Pacific SW? There's the NW(Montana included) and the PNW (Oregon, Washington).

As far as whats Deep South, East TX and the FL panhandle are about as Deep South as you can get.
Idaho panhandle is part of the PNW. As someone else already stated the PNW depending on who you talk to stretches from Southern Oregon up into British Columbia and even SE Alaska, and as far east as western Montana.

PNW is not just defined by its culture, it is defined by its geography, shared history, aboriginal history, biomass, and geology. Even before white settlers came the people stretching from the panhandle of Alaska down to Oregon shared a pretty common culture.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:

It's already been established that the OP's definitions of each region aren't official, but just his/her interpretation.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:28 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Yep. Culturally I'd also include western TN, eastern NC, and maybe even Tidewater VA.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:48 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
BigCityDreamer, you asked for the maps - what do you think?
I think they're impressive for the the size of those cities. How fast is the rail transport typically in Seattle and Portland?

Old 06-23-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep. Culturally I'd also include western TN, eastern NC, and maybe even Tidewater VA.
Neither of these are typically considered to be the Deep South, though; certainly no part of Virginia.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Neither of these are typically considered to be the Deep South, though; certainly no part of Virginia.
I know, but culturally they are. Memphis is considered to be something of a capital of the Mississippi Delta region and you don't get much more "Deep South" than that. Eastern NC and Tidewater VA share the characteristics of being agricultural regions with extensive rural areas populated by Blacks, although that's changed a bit for Tidewater VA.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I know, but culturally they are. Memphis is considered to be something of a capital of the Mississippi Delta region and you don't get much more "Deep South" than that. Eastern NC and Tidewater VA share the characteristics of being agricultural regions with extensive rural areas populated by Blacks, although that's changed a bit for Tidewater VA.
Um, nevermind. I don't want to hi-jack the thread with this discussion.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Um, nevermind. I don't want to hi-jack the thread with this discussion.
For me, Deep South essentially equals the so-called "Black Belt":

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...County.svg.png

I can definitely say that culturally, there's not a world of difference between eastern NC and the coastal plain regions of SC and GA in particular.

Last edited by JMT; 06-15-2013 at 02:51 PM..

Old 06-08-2013, 01:59 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,462,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
Economy: Deep South easily.
History: How does one rank history? Did one place exist before the other?
Natural scenery: Tie I prefer the Pacific NW but the Deep South has more variety
Urbanness: PacNW
Education: Deep South pretty easily
Museums: Um.... tie? I guess maybe Seattle helps PacNW win but if we say Fine Arts in general (Concert Halls/Galleries/etc) its a tie.
Public transportation: Pac NW
Weather: Deep South
Food: Deep South
Proximity to other regions: Tie

Overall for me I'd rather live in Pac NW than Deep South but not for any of the reasons above. Deep South by all means should win this if people are honest, of course this is C-D so Seattle will single handedly win because its seen as more perrty.
I disagree with alot of your notions.
History: Would give it to the South though the PNW has a Strong Native American History and Lewis and Clark

Natural Scenery: PNW, From Untouched Pacific coastline, Majestic Olmpic Mountains, Beautiful islands on the sound, Rolling hills of the palouse, Canyons and of the Inland northwest, Peaceful flowing rivers cutting through the land, I would say the PNW has way more variety.

Urbaness: Outside of Atlanta, the South isn't that urban while Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver could be argued as more Urban they Atlanta

Education: Public education is cities? PNW, But Higher Education? Toss up. PNW has great Liberal Arts institutions, and great state schools but the south was more variety and a few very good schools. I would lean towards pacific northwest though

Museums: Seattle Area has a few world class museums but I can't talk for Portland and Vancouver. Atlanta has some really good museums with with more Historical relevance the the PNW

Public Transportation: PNW Takes this

Weather: Pick your poison, Mild Winters but extremely hot summers? Or cooler (Not Cold) winter and fall but extremely nice summers in the PNW. Matter of opinion

Food: PNW has some of the Best Seafood is the world but the south has a strong comfort food and BBQ culture. So again, matter of opinion

Proximity to other regions: This is interesting to me, The South has Proximity the the Carribean and Eastern Seaboard. But the the PNW is Closer the California, Alaska, Short plane ride to Hawaii, and is a gateway the Asia. To me the PNW is that Isolated and I actually prefer being in area that isn't connected to alot of cities. Makes traveling feel like an Adventure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City