Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:59 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,159,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The Deep South:
Deep South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funny how you did not have a problem when those pics of he PNW were posted but soon as I post one with my own pics,you have a problem?
For the 150-millionth times ... THE OP SET THE PARAMETERS OF THE DISCUSSION.

Is that just too hard to comprehend?

Neither Texas, Florida, nor NC were part of it. Besides, your Wikipedia cite says "Most definitions include the states of Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina.[4][5]"

As for someone else's pictures ... who cares. You deal with it. Yours had no labels. I was curious just where each was taken, so had looked at the sites from which they came.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually East Texas is considered to be Deep South. The Deep South is really more of a region that cuts across parts of different Southern states as opposed to consisting of whole states (although MS and LA are pretty much included in totality, and most of SC).
Actually, it's not in terms of this thread.

Besides which ... I don't recall seeing any deserts in East Texas. Which was where this discussion of Texas arose. And I think I pretty much drove most of it.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:41 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,819,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
For the 150-millionth times ... THE OP SET THE PARAMETERS OF THE DISCUSSION.

Is that just too hard to comprehend?

Neither Texas, Florida, nor NC were part of it. Besides, your Wikipedia cite says "Most definitions include the states of Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina.[4][5]"

As for someone else's pictures ... who cares. You deal with it. Yours had no labels. I was curious just where each was taken, so had looked at the sites from which they came.
A poster I responded to stated that there were o universities in THE SOUTH that ranked as jigh as some schools in the PNW. Obviously I'm not the only one who cannot comprehend.

Once again it was YOU that brought up where my pictures come from so YOU must care!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:41 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,546,955 times
Quote:
I don't recall ever eluding to the South having nice parks.

Quote:
The South incorporates the natural environment in with its built environment better than any other region of the U.S. in my opinion.
So basically a natural landscape within an urban environment--or as some would call it "parks"...

Quote:
However Savannah is unique.Savannah is the only city in America that has square- like parks incorporated inside its city infrastructure.
Savannah has been called the most beautiful city in North America by Le Monde of France.
It is a beautiful city. I'll agree with that. Very unique city layout preserved from the original Ogelthorpe Plan. Between that Savannah, Charleston, and New Orleans you have three of the most historic cities in the country--there's nothing on that level of historic neighborhoods in the Northwest to compare to those places. On the other hand, I'd probably take Portland, Seattle, or Vancouver over Atlanta and any other major cities in the Deep South region, though I do enjoy Atlanta.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Since when was NC part of this poll? lol Granted Ill give you the Georgia Tech one which is a great school. If I knew Duke could be counted as the Deep South then I would of said its alot more even
Did you also forget about Emory University?

Old 06-24-2013, 12:29 AM

37,251 posts, read 39,538,577 times
Quote:
Did you also forget about Emory University?
Tulane's also a good school in the region.

In most international rankings (since the PNW here includes British Columbia), some combination of UW and UBC is generally higher than the combination of Georgia Tech and Emory. They are all good schools though, so it's much more dependent on your specific field of study and research.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Tulane's also a good school in the region.

In most international rankings (since the PNW here includes British Columbia), some combination of UW and UBC is generally higher than the combination of Georgia Tech and Emory. They are all good schools though, so it's much more dependent on your specific field of study and research.
True.I was just showing that depending on what rankings are used the poster who stated should not have made a blanket statement about the schools in PNW out rank everything in the South.Simply not true.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
So basically a natural landscape within an urban environment--or as some would call it "parks"...

It is a beautiful city. I'll agree with that. Very unique city layout preserved from the original Ogelthorpe Plan. Between that Savannah, Charleston, and New Orleans you have three of the most historic cities in the country--there's nothing on that level of historic neighborhoods in the Northwest to compare to those places. On the other hand, I'd probably take Portland, Seattle, or Vancouver over Atlanta and any other major cities in the Deep South region, though I do enjoy Atlanta.
Nothing wrong with your choice as I would choose Atlanta or New Orleans over anything in the PNW.Just too far and not sunny enough for me.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:33 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,467,918 times
Quote:
True.I was just showing that depending on what rankings are used the poster who stated should not have made a blanket statement about the schools in PNW out rank everything in the South.Simply not true.
It was not a blanket statement? Did you really ignore everything I said? I said in many publications UW and UBC out rank the schools in the south. I never said the PNW complete blows away the south. I said slight lead on education to the PNW.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:
A poster I responded to stated that there were o universities in THE SOUTH that ranked as jigh as some schools in the PNW. Obviously I'm not the only one who cannot comprehend.

Once again it was YOU that brought up where my pictures come from so YOU must care!
Sheesh. You just can't address the topic of a post can you. You always ignore when it's something you've been proved wrong on, and bring up something that wasn't said.

I said I only cared about the ones that I saw that I knew were posted illegally. If you know of others, then you deal can with it. I'm not going to bother.

And what on god's green earth does what you responded to someone else's post have to do with me. My post. Or my opinion about the superiority of the scenery of the Pacific Northwest to that of the Deep South? Or is that the only way you feel you can support a position, by obfuscating everything so badly everyone will just give up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.