Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 08:14 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,557,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't think Portland and Seattle have more character than cities like New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston, or even Richmond.
That's true in terms of historic character but honestly I don't think Houston or Atlanta has as much character as New Orleans or Savannah or Charleston either.

But Charleston and Savannah are great, but they're fairly small as far as entire cities go. Once you get outside the historic areas they're a little more average, though the historic areas are a large chunk of both cities.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:03 AM

798 posts, read 1,036,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That's true in terms of historic character but honestly I don't think Houston or Atlanta has as much character as New Orleans or Savannah or Charleston either.

But Charleston and Savannah are great, but they're fairly small as far as entire cities go. Once you get outside the historic areas they're a little more average, though the historic areas are a large chunk of both cities.
I don't think Atlanta, Houston, or Seattle should be compared to Savannah or Charleston. These cities are not in the same class and are not going for the same type of character. Atlanta and Seattle want to seem progressive and looking toward the future. Savannah and Charleston want people to remember their prominence in history. So the real question is, do Savannah, Charleston, Mobile, Biloxi etc. have more character than Eugene, Spokane, Pocatello, Yakima, etc.? From reading about them online and learning about their impact in history, I would say "yes". How much more? Well, (subjective) I wouldn't say much, but enough to get name recognition in the US.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:51 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,166,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I don't think Portland and Seattle have more character than cities like New Orleans, Savannah, Charleston, or even Richmond.
More? Of course not. They just have different character.

But Richmond? As in Virginia? How's that come into this thread?

Unless you're talking about Richmond, BC. The town with the largest immigrant population in Canada.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:42 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,368,879 times
Quote:
If you want to include Texas and Florida go ahead, but at the same time you might as well start your own thread and compare it to an area of comparable size and just include the entire West Coast(and maybe Arizona and Nevada as well). The distance from Charlotte to Houston is farther than driving from Portland to Los Angeles. The distance from Miami to Dallas is like driving from Seattle to San Diego.

So I mean, sure you can include a entire swath of the Southeastern US and compare it to just the Northwest coast(a much smaller chunk of the West) and not surprisingly the bigger area is going have more large cities.
Well, we're talking about the Deep South, here, so I'd take out Atlanta and include Houston. Neither Miami, Dallas, or Charlotte have ever been the DS.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:09 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,827,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Sheesh. You just can't address the topic of a post can you. You always ignore when it's something you've been proved wrong on, and bring up something that wasn't said.

I said I only cared about the ones that I saw that I knew were posted illegally. If you know of others, then you deal can with it. I'm not going to bother.

And what on god's green earth does what you responded to someone else's post have to do with me. My post. Or my opinion about the superiority of the scenery of the Pacific Northwest to that of the Deep South? Or is that the only way you feel you can support a position, by obfuscating everything so badly everyone will just give up?
What was I proven wrong on that I have not admitted?I dont have a huge ego like some on here.

Last edited by afonega1; 06-27-2013 at 09:23 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Okay... Nothing un-calm about my post. Just posting a response to what you wrote. Don't get all worked up there, pardner...

Just curious though, what other amazing cities(besides Atlanta or New Orleans possibly) in the the region specified by the OP truly surpass Portland or Vancouver BC in anything. Birmingham, Alabama? Jackson, Mississippi? Columbia, South Carolina?
Nothing except Atlanta beats Vancouver.But Nashville and Charlotte beat Portland IMO.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Don't worry, they all started as separate cities. And still, today, are separate cities. History didn't happen differently in the PNW than it did in the south. Towns were established. Over time, towns expand until their borders are adjacent.

And the PNW cities, just because you don't know them, don't have any less "character" than southern cities.
Wouldn't they be know if they were worth going into?(That statement was not meant as a n insult to those cities but just raising the question about popularity and what drives it..Culture?History?Scenery?Economics?

Old 06-28-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Wouldn't they be know if they were worth going into?(That statement was not meant as a n insult to those cities but just raising the question about popularity and what drives it..Culture?History?Scenery?Economics?
Not at all. People on the east coast, national news outlets, etc., don't give two figs about anything on the west coast that isn't Los Angeles.

Conversely, out here in the west, we hear EVERYTHING about the east coast from national media.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:08 AM

798 posts, read 1,036,860 times
Quote:
If you want to include Texas and Florida go ahead, but at the same time you might as well start your own thread and compare it to an area of comparable size and just include the entire West Coast(and maybe Arizona and Nevada as well). The distance from Charlotte to Houston is farther than driving from Portland to Los Angeles. The distance from Miami to Dallas is like driving from Seattle to San Diego.

So I mean, sure you can include a entire swath of the Southeastern US and compare it to just the Northwest coast(a much smaller chunk of the West) and not surprisingly the bigger area is going have more large cities.
First off, I want to point out that the trip from Seattle to San Diego is pretty much a straight shot, while Dallas to Miami is more of a two-directional trip, first going north and then going west. Not exactly a fair comparison.

Also nobody was including the entire states of Texas and Florida. The Wikipedia definition stated that EAST TEXAS and NORTH FLORIDA are generally included. That means the Florida panhandle, Tallahassee, and Jacksonville in FL (nothing south), and anything east of Tyler, TX and Houston, TX, including both.

Plus, if we don't include those areas and also take BC out, the PNW is larger than the Deep South in land area (PNW: 253, 250.36 sq. mi. vs. Deep South: 244,133.88 sq. mi.). And even if we included the ENTIRE states of Florida and Texas, it would still be smaller than the combined area of the PNW with BC, and people from the PNW have consistently stated that BC is part of the PNW.

Enough with the victimization.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Nothing except Atlanta beats Vancouver.But Nashville and Charlotte beat Portland IMO.
And neither Nashville and Charlotte are in the designated area now, are they? You know what? New York City beats it, too.

But that, too is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.