Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is better?
Pacific Northwest 50 70.42%
Deep South 21 29.58%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:09 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes.Texas.And I stand corrected in swamps lacking in the PNW>i suppose its a technical definition of what people consider "swamp land".
Texas isn't part of the Deep South. You know if you throw New Mexico and Arizona in, too, it'd be a shoe-in.

Technical? Yeah, I guess that the U.S.G.S. gets to be the final word on what's classified as what. And those all are classified as swamps.

And I must say, congratulations on being a photographer for Conde Nast. Does that pay well?

Old 06-23-2013, 06:14 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Texas isn't part of the Deep South. You know if you throw New Mexico and Arizona in, too, it'd be a shoe-in.
Actually East Texas is considered to be Deep South. The Deep South is really more of a region that cuts across parts of different Southern states as opposed to consisting of whole states (although MS and LA are pretty much included in totality, and most of SC).

Old 06-23-2013, 06:20 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,803,733 times
Quote:
No, people don't live on glaciers. And yes, I've more-or-less been to all those places (not necessarily stood on the spot the photo was taken). Heck, one of the photos is about 20 miles from my home. My home in downtown Portland. But assessing the scenic nature of two regions is not only talking about the scenery in the heavily populated areas, now is it?

Notice how I post links (since posting copyrighted photos on C-D is against the TOS) to scenery in urban areas of the PNW.

Neighborhood in NW downtown Portland.

A street in the downtown business district of Portland.

Seattle cityscape.

Here's a house on Queen Anne Hill, Seattle.

English Bay Beach in Vancouver BC.

I'll just link to this page of thumbnails of Portland homes because I can't decide which one I like best.

Here's one of Oregon's lighthouses.

Here's Forest Park, in the West Hills that bound downtown Portland. It's the largest urban park in the U.S.

And perhaps next weekend, I'll be sitting on the balcony of our condominium at the beach looking at this view.

Is that enough scenery in urban areas? I know it's Portland heavy, but it's what I'm most familiar with. Trust me, the other cities are just as scenic. A local photographer has a great site with his photos of the area here. His interest is more in strictly architecture, but it's a pretty good overview.
A few palm trees that are not native does not constitute a natural environment within a built areas.Sure its nice bu its not apart of the fabric of the community.

Savannah's downtown area, which includes the Savannah Historic District, the Savannah Victorian Historic District and 22 parklike squares, is one of the largest National Historic Landmark Districts in the United States.So a few "nice" houses dont compare when most of the whole city is a delight to the eyes.

Im don't mean to suggest that the PNW does not have it's charms.obviously it does but the South is not so monolithic in its offerings either.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:45 PM

635 posts, read 1,510,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
University of Washington and University of British Columbia are both ranked higher in the world by many publications then the deep south, not that the universities are bad. There is definitely more of a selection in the south but the Liberal Arts schools in Washington and Portland are very strong. Simon Fraser is a great institution as well. U of O, Ore st, and WSU are fair/good state universities that excel at certain programs. Cant give much of a preference on Idaho colleges. For me I would give a slight edge to the pacific northwest. Huge edge if your just talking about overall public education. For urbaness, ive found portland one of the most walkable cities in america, better the New Orleans many because crime is less up here. Seattle is fair, it's neighborhoods are more walk-able then parts of downtown. But ive never been to Charleston or savannah so I can't really give a rating off walkability. But i disagree with the food. Seattle has some of the best crab and oysters in the world. The freshest salmon you can find. Nice cod and halibut. I think the Seafood here is better and fresher. Plus we have great asian cuisine. The south definitely has good seafood and comfort food but I think the food here is fresher and better.
That's perfectly fine you think that, but freshness I would have to say does not favor one or the other considering these places I mentioned for here as our major coastal port cities are just as fresh as the pnw cities and yes I have had amazing seafood in the pnw...not taking anything away from it, but the crabs, shrimp, salmon (pecan crusted salmon from the pirates house in savannah)...they just do it better for me don't know why I just feel its better we do need more Asian cuisine though that's a definite edge to the pnw in that regard. Public education I agree with you, but I just gotta give the edge to the deep south in universities, they may not be on the higher tiers as say the university of British columbia or university of Washington, but they are all (at least the ones I mentioned aren't slouches in their own rights. My urbanity argument was based off of the walkability of multiple cities not just their sizes, because we all know Atlanta leaves a lot to be desired in this catagory.

Last edited by Bizurko; 06-23-2013 at 07:12 PM..

Old 06-23-2013, 06:49 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
My point is thats no where the population lives.If people waned to live on a glacier then we would have cities there.Atlanta actually sits in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains.

Notice how I posted pics with beautiful scennerey in urban areas.Those pics posted earlier of the PNW were great but how many of have actually visited those places first hand?Those places are remote.Im sure I am seeing those pics without ever having being there same as some of the people on here who actually live in the PNW that have never seen those areas.
Well guessing from how you view wilderness you're obviously not much of an outdoorsman... But no, except for maybe a couple of those places--like the Blue Glacier/Mt. Olympus and the vista from the North Cascades which require a hike in--none of the photos posted were of particularly remote locations. The Columbia Gorge is reached by I-84 just minutes outside of the edge of the Portland metro for example, Mt. Hood is only an hour away from Portland and has popular ski areas and Timberline Lodge, the North Oregon Coast is about an hour or so away from Portland(all three of these places are much closer to Portland than the Blue Ridge or coast is from Atlanta), the Hoh Rainforest in the Olympics and Crater Lake are both part of popular national parks frequently visited as weekend trips. The Eastern Oregon and Washington pictures are of little less travelled areas--but that's sort of the point of getting out in the country...

Quote:
The South incorporates the natural environment in with its built environment better than any other region of the U.S. in my opinion.
That's nice--there's some very nice parks and landscapes in Southern cities... Savannah is a beautiful city, no one is claiming otherewise. However don't pretend you have the only cities in the country to have nice parks. Portland and Seattle and Victoria are overflowing with large parks and greenery...to the point where we take it for granted.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
University of Washington and University of British Columbia are both ranked higher in the world by many publications then the deep south, not that the universities are bad. There is definitely more of a selection in the south but the Liberal Arts schools in Washington and Portland are very strong. Simon Fraser is a great institution as well. U of O, Ore st, and WSU are fair/good state universities that excel at certain programs. Cant give much of a preference on Idaho colleges. For me I would give a slight edge to the pacific northwest. Huge edge if your just talking about overall public education. For urbaness, ive found portland one of the most walkable cities in america, better the New Orleans many because crime is less up here. Seattle is fair, it's neighborhoods are more walk-able then parts of downtown. But ive never been to Charleston or savannah so I can't really give a rating off walkability. But i disagree with the food. Seattle has some of the best crab and oysters in the world. The freshest salmon you can find. Nice cod and halibut. I think the Seafood here is better and fresher. Plus we have great asian cuisine. The south definitely has good seafood and comfort food but I think the food here is fresher and better.
Here are 2 different World Rankngs of sthe top universities and both have Duke,UNC and Georgia Tech ranked WAY higher than anything in the PNW.

World University Rankings 2012-2013 - Times Higher Education

World's Best Universities; Top 400 Universities in the World | US News
Granted higher education is better by far in the South as 1-12 are far superior in the PNW.

Food is relative to taste but the diversity in food ranges from more than just Seafood.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Well guessing from how you view wilderness you're obviously not much of an outdoorsman... But no, except for maybe a couple of those places--like the Blue Glacier/Mt. Olympus and the vista from the North Cascades which require a hike in--none of the photos posted were of particularly remote locations. The Columbia Gorge is reached by I-84 just minutes outside of the edge of the Portland metro for example, Mt. Hood is only an hour away from Portland and has popular ski areas and Timberline Lodge, the North Oregon Coast is about an hour or so away from Portland(all three of these places are much closer to Portland than the Blue Ridge or coast is from Atlanta), the Hoh Rainforest in the Olympics and Crater Lake are both part of popular national parks frequently visited as weekend trips. The Eastern Oregon and Washington pictures are of little less travelled areas--but that's sort of the point of getting out in the country...

That's nice--there's some very nice parks and landscapes in Southern cities... Savannah is a beautiful city, no one is claiming otherewise. However don't pretend you have the only cities in the country to have nice parks. Portland and Seattle and Victoria are overflowing with large parks and greenery...to the point where we take it for granted.
Pretend?I don't recall ever eluding to the South having nice parks.However Savannah is unique.Savannah is the only city in America that has square- like parks incorporated inside its city infrastructure.
Savannah has been called the most beautiful city in North America by Le Monde of France.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Technical? Yeah, I guess that the U.S.G.S. gets to be the final word on what's classified as what. And those all are classified as swamps.

And I must say, congratulations on being a photographer for Conde Nast. Does that pay well?
The Deep South:
Deep South - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funny how you did not have a problem when those pics of he PNW were posted but soon as I post one with my own pics,you have a problem?

Old 06-23-2013, 10:14 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,463,373 times
Quote:
Here are 2 different World Rankngs of sthe top universities and both have Duke,UNC and Georgia Tech ranked WAY higher than anything in the PNW.

World University Rankings 2012-2013 - Times Higher Education

World's Best Universities; Top 400 Universities in the World | US News
Granted higher education is better by far in the South as 1-12 are far superior in the PNW.

Food is relative to taste but the diversity in food ranges from more than just Seafood.
Since when was NC part of this poll? lol Granted Ill give you the Georgia Tech one which is a great school. If I knew Duke could be counted as the Deep South then I would of said its alot more even

Old 06-23-2013, 10:53 PM

635 posts, read 1,510,604 times
Quote:
Since when was NC part of this poll? lol Granted Ill give you the Georgia Tech one which is a great school. If I knew Duke could be counted as the Deep South then I would of said its alot more even
I can see the the argument he/she has, however seeing as its not following the specified criteria North Carolina schools are out, but growing up down here in metro ATL I've always seen Charlotte as our little brother who we pick on, but really defend when we need to and culturally I have looked at it very similar to ours. Same as the other cities I mentioned earlier in my first post that were later taken out. Culturally I've never seen a difference between us so I can see people's arguments to include these places like North Carolina, TN, East Texas and such. I personally see north carolina as a part of the region Georgia is in. But for the thread I will agree with you about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City