Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 08:15 AM

348 posts, read 1,021,182 times

Advertisements

They both have different things to offer..it's hard to say which is better. But I do think the beaches in the southeast are more beautiful and cleaner than the beaches in So Cal, plus the water is warmer, imo..the beaches in the northwest are beautiful and rugged, and I can not comment on the beaches in the north east since I've never been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 08:18 AM

348 posts, read 1,021,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happymom4 View Post
They both have different things to offer..it's hard to say which is better. But I do think the beaches in the southeast are more beautiful and cleaner than the beaches in So Cal, plus the water is warmer, imo..the beaches in the northwest are beautiful and rugged, and I can not comment on the beaches in the north east since I've never been.
haha, silly me, I have beaches on my mind and didn't read the whole topic,lol...so as far as west coast/east coast in general...well my first sentence stands the same...but I do prefer the east coast. It has so much history.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:56 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Los Angeles can use empty claims to make themselves sound greater, but we all know the truth. Los Angeles is suburban, New York is urban. The density of Los Angeles is about 2,000 people per square mile, the density of NYC is about 11,000 people per square mile… Big difference if you ask me. Buffalo, NY is even more dense than LA, and half their buildings are abandoned!

LA, also known as LaLa Land to New Yorkers, is nothing but an overpopulated, sprawling, polluted, hideous, unsophisticated mess. New York is the better city because we WALK instead of sitting on our lazy asses in a vehicle (*cough* Angelenos *cough*), we have actual buildings with character and beautiful, historic architecture, we have more theatres per capita and in raw numbers than any other city in the World, we have the largest financial district in the World, we have the largest business district in the World, we have the most diverse city in the World, we have the “**** you” attitude that I love, we have everything LA wishes they had… A functioning city than can accommodate a large population well. Los Angeles doesn’t know how to control a large population which is why they’ll fall soon, and which is also why NYC is gaining more population in the CITY than Los Angeles is.

Sure, if you want scenery, LA is your place… Scenery is nice…. WHEN IT’S ****ING VISIBLE. Maybe if Angelenos would use the thing they pay tax money for called PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION or if they used the things below their ankles called FEET you might be able to see the mountains.

Beaches is a classic. Last I checked there were no beaches in the City of Los Angeles, but there are in NYC (Brooklyn and Staten Island). And best part is, they’re cleaner! Los Angeles METRO beaches were ranked as he most polluted in the country. So you can throw that idea out. We have you beat at your own game!

End of story. Next.
And one big thing that has ruined the Los Angeles area for me is that stereotypical 'hardass' NYC attitude.

Funny how few of that subset of NYC people try that here in Arizona.....maybe because many of us have the means to defend ourselves------legally.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:57 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Funny how few of that subset of NYC people try that here in Arizona.....maybe because many of us have the means to defend ourselves------legally.
The murder rate in Phoenix must be as high as New Orleans. So Phoenicians kill rude people? I'll be sure never to visit. It's too hot anyway. L.A. is habitable.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:19 AM

125 posts, read 578,513 times
Default CAN we PLEASE get back on topic

can you two take the NYC vs. L.A. arguement elsewhere, like in pm's? Thanks.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,893 times
Default If you already know everything, move to the east.

I've lived in Washington DC, New York City, Las Vegas NV, Phoenix AZ and many places in between. I'll also mention that I am from Illinois, so I am not bias due to growing up in one of these areas. So let's get to it.

Climate - if you have an issue with climate in the west because there is no snow then you have never been there. Just take a 30 min to 2 hour drive in any direction and you will find a snow-capped mountain with beautiful sceanary. Everything you could possibly want as climate is there, except the humidity. You could probobly even find that if you looked hard enough.

Cities - Growth in the west in unprecidented compared to the east. Anything that is not there currently will be there within 5 years. This is only if it is not already there, which it probobly is.

People - In the east, when you talking about personality and ability, you are guilty intill proven inoscent. Quick to place judgement (if you are given the chance to be judged) is what drives the east. No matter what you do, it is a huge production. Everyone thinks they are a god just because they made it to the grocery store and back. This makes life miserable because everybody is upset, overworked, and stressed. Furthermore, there is no such thing as small talk because there is no time. Agenda is made to be driving factor which eliminates all small talk. No one will really know anybody unless you think someones financial statement defines an individual. If someone has any personality at all besides paycheck and agenda, the east is not where you want to go.

Culture - If you think 2 hours of trafic to pay $95 for parking and a $150 for 1 ticket to a show that you can watch on TV culture, the east is for you. If hot headed political viewes sputtered out by a 19 year old with no ears that hasn't experienced anything but CNN is culture, the east is for you. If having a conversation with a compleate stranger that lasts for more then 3 minutes is culture, move to the west. Personally, if it takes $300 for 6 hours of culture, I don't think that is culture, I think that is good marketing. If you want to enjoy life without financing your first born, move to the west.

I'm done. Thanks for reading, sorry about the spelling.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:57 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthoughts View Post
I've lived in Washington DC, New York City, Las Vegas NV, Phoenix AZ and many places in between. I'll also mention that I am from Illinois, so I am not bias due to growing up in one of these areas. So let's get to it.

Climate - if you have an issue with climate in the west because there is no snow then you have never been there. Just take a 30 min to 2 hour drive in any direction and you will find a snow-capped mountain with beautiful sceanary. Everything you could possibly want as climate is there, except the humidity. You could probobly even find that if you looked hard enough.

Cities - Growth in the west in unprecidented compared to the east. Anything that is not there currently will be there within 5 years. This is only if it is not already there, which it probobly is.

People - In the east, when you talking about personality and ability, you are guilty intill proven inoscent. Quick to place judgement (if you are given the chance to be judged) is what drives the east. No matter what you do, it is a huge production. Everyone thinks they are a god just because they made it to the grocery store and back. This makes life miserable because everybody is upset, overworked, and stressed. Furthermore, there is no such thing as small talk because there is no time. Agenda is made to be driving factor which eliminates all small talk. No one will really know anybody unless you think someones financial statement defines an individual. If someone has any personality at all besides paycheck and agenda, the east is not where you want to go.

Culture - If you think 2 hours of trafic to pay $95 for parking and a $150 for 1 ticket to a show that you can watch on TV culture, the east is for you. If hot headed political viewes sputtered out by a 19 year old with no ears that hasn't experienced anything but CNN is culture, the east is for you. If having a conversation with a compleate stranger that lasts for more then 3 minutes is culture, move to the west. Personally, if it takes $300 for 6 hours of culture, I don't think that is culture, I think that is good marketing. If you want to enjoy life without financing your first born, move to the west.

I'm done. Thanks for reading, sorry about the spelling.
Traffic in the NE may suck, but I've sat in LA traffic before so it isn't exactly a 'coastal' characteristic, it is perhaps more of the size and density of a city.

I certainly don't know how anyone can generalize an entire coast of the continent. i.e., NYC and ATL share the same coast, but are so unlike in many ways. Just like LA vs. maybe Seattle

As someone stated earlier, East and West just suit different people and different needs.
Even if one was to say the East is 'driven by finance, and/or the West is driven by the hopes of stardom, it only sounds like LA and NYC

Old 11-20-2007, 07:12 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
I don't agree with that. Where on the West Coast will I find beautiful snow in places people actually LIVE IN (a city)?
Big Bear City and Lake Arrowhead, in the San Bernardino Mountains.

Quote:
Well, this is an opinion. If you're Italian, the East Coast has better food, if you're Chinese, the West Coast has better food... And the East Coast Chinese can equal West Coast Chinese. So for dining diversity, East Coast has West Coast beat. I've yet to meet a person from the West that can say they have a pizza joint that can equal NY's worst. It ain't gonna happen, folks
The secret is to find a pizza place owned by former New Yorkers. One such place out here is "Pizzaola," in Chatsworth.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:50 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Big Bear City and Lake Arrowhead, in the San Bernardino Mountains.
I meant a CITY, not some freaking ski resort.

Quote:
The secret is to find a pizza place owned by former New Yorkers. One such place out here is "Pizzaola," in Chatsworth.
I've heard about that place, but never have I been there. One place isn't gonna cut it, either.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:14 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
FutureCop, Portland and Seattle.

Those are two cities that receive snow in the winter.

Portland receives an average of 6.5 inches/year. Seattle receives an average of 7.1 inches. That certainly isn't a lot of snow when compared to cities on the East Coast north of a line from Norfolk, Raleigh, and through Charlotte.

The fact is the no matter where you live on the West Coast, you can access mountains that have the potential of receiving significant snowfall. Snowqualmie Pass, a 45 minute drive from Seattle, receives 440 inches of snow a year. That's nearly 40 feet. The pass gets 107 inches of snow just in the month of January ALONE. There's no place on the East Coast that receives ANYWHERE near the amount of snow a year.

Even in Southern California, Big Bear receives nearly 65 inches of snow a year.

I am kind of baffled by your obsession with snow in actual major population centers. Snow is pretty while it's falling, sure. However, it quickly turns into a slushy, dark brown mess with everyone walking all over it.

The East Coast can keep it's snow. I'll keep the fact that it will be 70 degrees here in January, but I can drive 1.5 hours to access a ski resorts where 101 inches of snow falls annually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City