Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 11:12 AM

676 posts, read 2,797,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
lol I see you have a negative view on police officers. What did you do? Chances are you did something stupid, acting as if you know what you were doing, then got in trouble because you endangered others. Quit the whining.

People will hate police when they get in trouble, but when they're robbed they love the police. Maybe if you abide by the law, you wouldn't get pulled over. Grow up.
Lol I would love the police too. If they actually helped out. This past summer I was assaulted on the street and called 911. They told me someone was on the way an hour later I had to call again and I was put on hold... then told to flag down a cop.... Maybe its a fluke thing but when you are bleeding on the street it doesn't help their rep when nobody comes when counted on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 11:12 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Shave their moustaches and mandate 1 hour of daily exercise. This will get rid of the garbage and get some reasonable people into cadet training.
Yeah, I doubt that will make a noticeable change. Who's gouing to watch them exercise for an hour to make sure they do it?

Old 11-21-2007, 11:23 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveco. View Post
Lol I would love the police too. If they actually helped out. This past summer I was assaulted on the street and called 911. They told me someone was on the way an hour later I had to call again and I was put on hold... then told to flag down a cop.... Maybe its a fluke thing but when you are bleeding on the street it doesn't help their rep when nobody comes when counted on
Oh, I know there are police out there that will do things like that. But to generalize them as if they're all lazy, uncaring bums is ridiculous. If I saw a car wrapped around a tree on the side of the road I'd stop, I'd call for emergency help, then go help the person. If I saw someone getting a beating on the street, I'd call for help, and then go help the victim.

lol I know for a fact I'm one of the most disliked members on here, but I don't care. I brush it off when I leave this site. That's something you're going to have to do as a police officer - When it's over, it's over. Forget about it. Most things I say on here are not what I would say in reality.

Old 11-22-2007, 03:38 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,525 times
Good to know. And no, you're not hated at all. Trust me.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:52 AM

61 posts, read 119,970 times
Default Philadelphia vs. Cal, Texas or AZ.

West Coast cities are much larger in land than East coast cities for those who like to compare populations. However, the population density and big city feel are not even close.

Phoenix covers the largest area of land in the country which is why it hardly resembles a "city". It's actually an extremely spread out suburb with strip malls, walmarts and restaurant chains OVER and OVER again. I lived there for three years until 2007 so I am well aware of the differences.

It's not your fault, I realize the East Coast cities were created before the invention of the automobile, but our style creates much more energetic and vibrant cities where you can actually walk or get around by train in a quarter of the time it takes for you to drive from one side to the other.

Philadelphia, Chicago, NYC, even Portland and Seattle are "real cities". You have vibrant downtowns in cities.. Cities are Urban, not suburban sprawl and anexed land. It's too established on the East coast to just anex land because you want to grow your numbers. Cities are more like the East Coast anywhere you go in the World. Not to mention the Western United States lacks heavily in character, history and architecture compared to the older East Coast, Europe, Asia and other vibrant urban destinations.

That's just Philly, don't even get me started on NYC.

The West coast has it's natural beauty and definitely has great things about it, but great cities aren't one of them.

The Difference in L.A., Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, or anywhere over there is the energy and population density. You can draw a big enough circle to try and make your population large, but there is really no comparison to center city Philadelphia, Chicago, or New York City to anywhere else in the United States when it comes to a **** load of people living in one area.

If you count the square miles around Philadelphia that Phoenix claims as it's city limits, Philly would dwarf Phoenix and the metro area in Philly is still larger. In fact, we have as many people living in a quarter of the space.

Philadelphia has the 3rd largest downtown in the country and if you went there you would see that it feels multiple times bigger than Phoenix or ANYWHERE out West because of the population density.

I am originally from Portland Oregon and even Portland feels like a much bigger and more vibrant city than Southern cities. It doesn't count when you annex five hundred plus square miles of land and call it a "city".. Downtown areas of all of those cities suck ass.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:42 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,525 times
How would you know that they suck what you said?

Old 12-19-2007, 03:23 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
I'm from the east coast but live on the west now for several years. I will never live on the east coast again. I had my fun but the west coast imo moves at a slower pace, has a more relaxed feel and is just more beautiful. Love the west coast major cities more especially Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Fewer bugs, less humidity, far more beautiful natural beauty. I am so glad I moved out west.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:30 PM

333 posts, read 467,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuan demarco View Post
Wow i just googled Scarsdale, New York and that place looks like something out of a Steven King film. lol i wouldnt blame you for wanting to move from that boring lifeless place. it looks like nothing interesting goes down in ur town. i would be somewhere in a basement begging someone to put a bullet in my head out of boredum. hahha no wonder you want to live in LA.
Actually Scarsdale is one of the most affluent and desirable communities in the country.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:18 PM

307 posts, read 1,397,482 times
I think the West Coast has better weather, but in my opinion I think East Coast is more diverse. So it is 50/50 for me.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:05 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Fewer bugs, less humidity, far more beautiful natural beauty. I am so glad I moved out west.

This is one of the biggest misnomers going imo.^^ All you have to do is look at Google live earth for 45 seconds and the proof is in the satellite imaging.

Concerning natural beauty I'll give you the wests icons are exceptional(Ranier,Tahoe,Yosemite etc) and the coastal landscape is impressive but overall the east coasts natural beauty surpasses the west and its not even close.

You go 30 miles west of Mount Ranier/Tahoe for instance and its completely uninhabitable.If you put a blindfold on someone and transported them to central wash/oregon and asked them if they are in Wash/Org.or if they were on Uranus they would have to think long and hard about the answer. Whereas the east goes 300-400 miles deep of incredible uninterrupted valleys/woodlands,mountains from the coast until the midwest.

No contest acre per acre. East Coast hands down.

Vermont

Maine

Key West
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City