Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 08:20 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,496,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
FutureCop, Portland and Seattle.

Those are two cities that receive snow in the winter.

Portland receives an average of 6.5 inches/year. Seattle receives an average of 7.1 inches. That certainly isn't a lot of snow when compared to cities on the East Coast north of a line from Norfolk, Raleigh, and through Charlotte.

The fact is the no matter where you live on the West Coast, you can access mountains that have the potential of receiving significant snowfall. Snowqualmie Pass, a 45 minute drive from Seattle, receives 440 inches of snow a year. That's nearly 40 feet. The pass gets 107 inches of snow just in the month of January ALONE. There's no place on the East Coast that receives ANYWHERE near the amount of snow a year.

Even in Southern California, Big Bear receives nearly 65 inches of snow a year.

I am kind of baffled by your obsession with snow in actual major population centers. Snow is pretty while it's falling, sure. However, it quickly turns into a slushy, dark brown mess with everyone walking all over it.

The East Coast can keep it's snow. I'll keep the fact that it will be 70 degrees here in January, but I can drive 1.5 hours to access a ski resorts where 101 inches of snow falls annually.
Whoa, I totally forgot about Portland and Seattle. Then we're pretty much equal in terms of climatial diversity.

Yes, I will gladly keep my beautiful snow that gets me out of school even when none is falling on some days. I will gladly keep it, I will gladly love it. If I want to get away from it, I can head down to Miami and be in a tropical paradise. Doesn't take away the fact that the Northeast is still so densely populated and probably the most beloved region of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 08:38 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Whoa, I totally forgot about Portland and Seattle. Then we're pretty much equal in terms of climatial diversity.

Yes, I will gladly keep my beautiful snow that gets me out of school even when none is falling on some days. I will gladly keep it, I will gladly love it. If I want to get away from it, I can head down to Miami and be in a tropical paradise. Doesn't take away the fact that the Northeast is still so densely populated and probably the most beloved region of the country.
I don't think we're equal in terms of diversity of climate at all. You don't know how many microclimates are in the West compared to the east. There are mountains here in Arizona that experience the typical desert climate at the bottom, but experience a near alpine climate at the top. You don't have any mountain like that back east.

The fact is that if you want to get warm you have to hop on a plane for three hours to reach Miami. With San Francisco, despite the fact that is often around 55 degrees in the middle of the summer, you can drive inland 15 miles and it will be 90+ degrees, guaranteed. That kind of climatic variance just does not occur on the East Coast.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:43 PM

Okay, it really doesn't mean that much to me.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:53 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
I don't think we're equal in terms of diversity of climate at all. You don't know how many microclimates are in the West compared to the east. There are mountains here in Arizona that experience the typical desert climate at the bottom, but experience a near alpine climate at the top. You don't have any mountain like that back east.

The fact is that if you want to get warm you have to hop on a plane for three hours to reach Miami. With San Francisco, despite the fact that is often around 55 degrees in the middle of the summer, you can drive inland 15 miles and it will be 90+ degrees, guaranteed. That kind of climatic variance just does not occur on the East Coast.
Or...just wait til summer

Old 11-20-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Or...just wait til summer
Yeah, or that. 4 seasons are nice to have.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:57 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times
That 'beloved' comment was awesome! Thanks, Futchie!

Old 11-21-2007, 01:47 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
I lived on the east coast most of my life. Never again. I love the west coast cities, the vibe, the beauty so much more. The U.S. has beauty all over, but I love living on the west coast.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:38 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
There are mountains here in Arizona that experience the typical desert climate at the bottom, but experience a near alpine climate at the top
There are only a few of those in AZ, the rest of the state's "mountains" are dirt and rock, very ugly and boring, hardly majestic. And if you want to talk about weather on mountains, the east coast claims the mountain with the craziest weather patterns (possibly on earth): Mount Washington. You dont get that crap in AZ, so AZ's mountains are hardly as diverse weather-wise.
Mount Washington Observatory – White Mountains, New Hampshire (NH)

Old 11-21-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I lived on the east coast most of my life. Never again. I love the west coast cities, the vibe, the beauty so much more. The U.S. has beauty all over, but I love living on the west coast.
Stay there. We'll keep the exciting, yet relaxing vibe that BosWash offers.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
FutureCop- your name is appropriate and it hardly comes as a surprise that you want to be a police officer. Those who have ever had to deal with cops will know what I am talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City