Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 06:34 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,131 posts, read 7,581,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
All of these other cities claiming Kanye.. There was another thread recently where the ATL posters were claiming Kanye = ATL too.

Chicagos rap and blues scene punches way above DC. Chicago is one of the few capitals of black music.

As for the thread itself - Modern day, DC gets my vote.
I'm not talking about rap music. I'm referring to an interview Kanye did back during the College Dropout years on DC radio, where he mentioned going to visit his dad on the East Coast (I believe Delaware or somewhere near). He talked about how they would drive to Silver Spring, MD and he got a lot of inspiration on clothing styles etc., then went home to Chicago looking "brand new". The video has been posted on C-D before but I have no idea which thread. Probably DC's Finest or someone else can post it.

Also DC puts out just as many R&B/ soul artists, comedians, and athletes as Chicago per capita, it's not really all about "rap music" influence. I hate what the modern rap game has become to be quite honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2021, 01:05 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,425,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'm not talking about rap music. I'm referring to an interview Kanye did back during the College Dropout years on DC radio, where he mentioned going to visit his dad on the East Coast (I believe Delaware or somewhere near). He talked about how they would drive to Silver Spring, MD and he got a lot of inspiration on clothing styles etc., then went home to Chicago looking "brand new". The video has been posted on C-D before but I have no idea which thread. Probably DC's Finest or someone else can post it.

Also DC puts out just as many R&B/ soul artists, comedians, and athletes as Chicago per capita, it's not really all about "rap music" influence. I hate what the modern rap game has become to be quite honest.
Kanye would visit his dad in Takoma Park.

Old 04-27-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
All of these other cities claiming Kanye.. There was another thread recently where the ATL posters were claiming Kanye = ATL too.

Chicagos rap and blues scene punches way above DC. Chicago is one of the few capitals of black music.

As for the thread itself - Modern day, DC gets my vote.
Haha. DC is one of the last cities to try and "claim" people with their own Black culture. It's more so the other way around.

Here's the video from the horses mouth on live radio in DC. "In Chicago we were always a bit behind DC"... "So basically I'm saying is I got my swag from out here". - Kanye West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-YD9NWjnU0

Old 04-27-2022, 09:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,290,358 times
DC Black community is almost certainly more powerful within it's city. But, nationally/globally Chicago probably has probably has a more influential black community. Jessie Jackson, Oprah, Michael Jordan, Kanye West, the Obamas to name just a few. Not too surprising consider it's a much bigger city/MSA.

Old 04-28-2022, 12:36 AM

340 posts, read 176,508 times
Only thing i'll say is Obama is from Chicago and became President Obama in DC.

Edit - I want to add that I think Obama will be the last "normal" president we'll have from the way things turning up.

Old 04-28-2022, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
DC Black community is almost certainly more powerful within it's city. But, nationally/globally Chicago probably has probably has a more influential black community. Jessie Jackson, Oprah, Michael Jordan, Kanye West, the Obamas to name just a few. Not too surprising consider it's a much bigger city/MSA.
Both are very influential tbh. What's interesting is that all of those people you named literally had some level of ties to DC also.

Jessie's 2nd home back in the 90's was in upper NW DC around the corner from some family of mine. He used to spend a lot of time there in addition to Chicago.

Oprah's first big break in TV came in the area at least (well Baltimore), and her best friend Gayle King is from DC suburbs.

Michael Jordan's only other franchise played for was the Wizards, and his agent David Falk was from DC.

Kanye's ties to the DC area are in the above video, and the Obama's still live mostly in upper NW DC today post presidency.

There's plenty of intermingling between the two cities, even with some of their most notable names from Chicago.

Old 04-28-2022, 06:52 AM

21,661 posts, read 12,808,075 times
Dc is certainly more important and within its own city too. And very likely brokers more power nationwide.

But Chicago is more known amongst black people- no doubt. In *some* black circles people don’t know about DC like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City