Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Premier US city without NYC
Washington, DC 38 8.00%
Boston 19 4.00%
Philadelphia 73 15.37%
Chicago 179 37.68%
Los Angeles 142 29.89%
San Francisco 24 5.05%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 01:41 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times

Advertisements

My vote would be for Chicago or Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 03:24 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,647 times
If New York NEVER existed then I think Boston would be the Premier city in the US. Well, perhaps it would just be a massive metropolis between D.C and Boston with Boston being the hub. Trans-Atlantic trade went through Boston as much as it did New York way way way back then. Of course there was more parity among the Northeast Powers back then. But if New York was never there I think Boston would have been that "alpha" city.

Obviously, if New York just vanished. IE, Sunday night 19 Million New Yorkers went to sleep and Monday morning they were all gone. Of course the top city in the US would be Los Angeles. It's easily the most influencial and wealthy American city not named New York. I think the gap between LA and Chicago would remain the same but the Bay Area, DC and Boston would overtake Houston in importance as NYC's absence means the more historically powerful cities pick up the slack. At least that's how I see it.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:01 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,115 times
Los Angeles is not set up to handle such an influx. Chicago would take most of the industry if New York just disappeared.

If New York never existed either Boston or Philadelphia would be number one.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:47 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
Los Angeles is not set up to handle such an influx. Chicago would take most of the industry if New York just disappeared.

Not set up to handle an influx of what? And in which ways is it less set up to handle this influx than Chicago or Philly (even more ridiculous, Boston?)

Old 07-22-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Not set up to handle an influx of what? And in which ways is it less set up to handle this influx than Chicago or Philly (even more ridiculous, Boston?)
Industry.

And even though there is so much more I could say, I'll quote myself since the two lines were too much.

Quote:

Old 07-22-2012, 06:07 PM

502 posts, read 717,686 times
I've always thought of New York and Los Angeles as the gateways of America and Chicago as the hub of America. Without New York, we'd be down to only one mega-city gateway (L.A.) and Chicago would remain the hub. L.A. would probably scoop up some of NY's gateway thunder and Chicago would be the new financial metropolis.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:16 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
No, the premier city would stay in the most populous and developed part of the country. Now if Mexico was looking for a new capital then LA would have a shot.
But the Los Angeles area is the 2nd most populated area. The LA area is more populated than Chicagoland. So you kind of contridicted yourself with that statement.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 07-22-2012 at 06:43 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 06:49 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistGorilla View Post
Ok I voted for Chicago but that has nothing to do with the fact that I am born and raised (and currently living) in Chicago. Chicago is called the "Second City". I voted strictly on the concept of what I think of as a "city", and we only have 2 of those in the USA - NYC and Chicago. L.A., S.F., Houston, etc. aren't there yet, I'd consider them mid-sized cities not full scale cities. Now I am speaking of the cities themselves strictly not the entire metropolitan areas.

Chicago is the next closest to the city experience of NYC, but it lacks a lot of things as many of the posts reflect. I am personally moving to the Bay area. I can only imagine living in 3 places in the USA; NYC, Chicago, or California. To me California as a state is a package deal and if NYC didn't exist Chicago would be the biggest "city" experience but California as a state would actually be the new crown jewel of the USA.
I'm confused. How are LA, SF and Houston "midsized cities"? Okay okay, maybe if you just count city proper sure, you can argue SF is Midsized. But LA and Houston? LA is BIGGER than Chicago, so I'm not sure how it's not at Chicago's level yet. Maybe I misunderstood your post.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:36 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Industry.

And even though there is so much more I could say, I'll quote myself since the two lines were too much.
Hate to break it to you but the LA area is a huge industrial hub. one of the biggest in the world, and certainly heads and shoulders above Boston and Philly.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Hate to break it to you but the LA area is a huge industrial hub. one of the biggest in the world, and certainly heads and shoulders above Boston and Philly.
Wow, I guess two times and bolded words were not enough to reach you so here is the third and final time.

I also never said that Los Angeles wasn't. You are either taking what I am saying one step further or completely ignoring what I explained.

I hate to break it to you, but if New York City never existed then Philadelphia would have become much larger than they are now to fill that gap. America was settled East to West not East and Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City