Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Premier US city without NYC
Washington, DC 38 8.00%
Boston 19 4.00%
Philadelphia 73 15.37%
Chicago 179 37.68%
Los Angeles 142 29.89%
San Francisco 24 5.05%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:26 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,745,615 times

Advertisements

Did you see the link I posted? That's more credible than your ignorant comments

Do you know what New York, Tokyo, London, Paris, Chicago, Singapore & Hong Kong have in common? A major financial center. Those cities influence the global economy. They lead the world...LA is just a follower.

Keep bragging about the GDP. It still does not change the fact that Chicago is an Alpha+ city (one level above LA). You can't fool the experts and educated people who know how the global economy works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I don't know what's more embarrassing...the dozens of sock puppet votes for Chicago, or you lumping it with Tokyo, London and Hong Kong. Sure thing buddy.

Very little of what I wrote could be called opinion either. L.A.'s economy is over 40% larger than Chicago's, and it has been growing at a faster rate for a good three years now. Yup, beleaguered L.A. is outpacing Chicago in GDP growth percentage-wise, quietly growing fast the national rate these days. Look for the Southland to join the $1 trillion club by the end of the decade, while CHI struggles to top $600 billion.

L.A. is also more culturally influential, it's a more international city, it is a more visited city.

Without NY, Chicago becomes the Frankfurt of the United States. An important financial center, a regional power, but #1?! Nah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:39 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,433,423 times
Those Alpha rankings overrate Chicago even more than the sock-puppet accounts do. Does anyone seriously think Paris, Tokyo and Chicago are peer cities? GaWC does.

Like I said, Chicago = Frankfurt. It pushes paper, while the real innovations take place elsewhere.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,017,204 times
Quote:
Those Alpha rankings overrate Chicago even more than the sock-puppet accounts do. Does anyone seriously think Paris, Tokyo and Chicago are peer cities? GaWC does.

Like I said, Chicago = Frankfurt. It pushes paper, while the real innovations take place elsewhere.
Few people think LA is a peer city with Paris and Tokyo when it comes to finance and economics, who are you kidding? Economically, most people would put Chicago second to NYC. Chicago has a pretty major financial center. That list downtown1 posted seems pretty good to me.

Worldwide, LA is more tied to Hollywood, celebrities, the beach, and big mansions than it is to economics and finance. Ask any foreigner, and even many Americans, what they think of when they hear LA. An overwhelming number would mention the entertainment industry as number 1. I'm not saying LA isn't important, but it's not as important as other world leaders and isn't thought of on the same level in some degrees.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:08 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,745,615 times
Still having an excuse? Are you going to make fun of The Economist also?

Are you really ignorant or pretending to be ignorant? I'd like to know

JC, I wish a few LA boosters could be a bit like Munchitup.

According to the report, the 10 most competitive cities in the world in 2025 are forecast to be: New York (1st), London (2nd), Singapore (3rd), Hong Kong (4th), Tokyo (5th), Sydney (6th), Paris (7th), Stockholm (8th), Chicago (9th), and Toronto (10th).

News and Events -

Quote:

Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 PM

9,174 posts, read 13,275,539 times
Default I made a mistake....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceisforAce View Post
Imagine the US without NYC for a second.

What would be the premier US city?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
If NYC disappeared today, probably Los Angeles. It's our #2 city that would then become our #1 city.

If NYC never existed to begin with, probably Philadelphia. NYC became what it is due to its importance as a major east coast port and port of entry for 19th century immigrants, and transportation connections to the west. If there was no NYC, that stuff would have happened in another east coast city, probably Philadelphia.
Quote:
This is basically the premise.

Not re-writing history and speculating on what would have developed and what wouldnt have.

Just take NYC out for a second and look at the US. What is the go to, premier city?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
If we look historically, it would most likely be Philadelphia. Philly was the premier city for a good stretch of the time before the rise of NYC.
Quote:
I agree, but im looking at it just as it is today.

Imagine if the US had developed as it stands today, but without NYC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
(RESPONSE to LAMMIUS) Agreed on both accounts. Philly had a better port than Boston (and Baltimore the time up the Chesepeake was very long back then) and was also competing with NYC as the financial hub which it took the lion share of by the mid 1800s.

If NYC was not there and did not have the great port, yes would have likely been Philly but it does and the rest as they say is history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
(RESPONSE to LAMMIUS) I agree with this 100%. I'd imagine if NYC disappeared today, part of its influence would be dispersed to Boston, Philadelphia and D.C., but without the concentration, America's premier city would definitely shift. IMO, it would easily be Los Angeles, with Chicago as the 2nd spot.

If New York never existed, I think it would be Philadelphia or another large east-coast city. The Atlantic was the most important ocean until the late 20th Century, so America's growth would have reflected that.
I went to the OP and then looked through the whole page and it looks like I made a mistake. And if you look above at some of the posts from the first page, I am not the only one.

If you look above to the third section the OP says "Not re-writing history and speculating on what would have developed and what wouldnt have". In other words, all he wants is if we took New York out today - which American city would be the Premier City? Its nothing to do with history so sorry to Philadelphia.

This is the same thing as asking what is the number 2 city in the USA. To the OP (SpaceisforAce) - why didn't you simply ask it like that instead of making it so freaking complicated???

Old 07-31-2013, 10:36 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,433,423 times
A few years from now, when L.A.'s economy tops $1 trillion, surpassing the output of most countries (it would rank #16 worldwide in GDP right now if it were a country) Chicago will still be the larger financial center, and only the pencil pushers in the financial industry who create these GaWC lists, and Chicago's merry band of boosters will still think its #2 in the country.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 07-31-2013 at 10:58 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,017,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

I went to the OP and then looked through the whole page and it looks like I made a mistake. And if you look above at some of the posts from the first page, I am not the only one.

If you look above to the third section the OP says "Not re-writing history and speculating on what would have developed and what wouldnt have". In other words, all he wants is if we took New York out today - which American city would be the Premier City? Its nothing to do with history so sorry to Philadelphia.

This is the same thing as asking what is the number 2 city in the USA. To the OP (SpaceisforAce) - why didn't you simply ask it like that instead of making it so freaking complicated???
Exactly. People are thinking so hard on this thread and the question really is: in your opinion, what city is second to NYC (America's premier city - therefore if it's gone for whatever reason, what comes next) in most aspects?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,548,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Did you see the link I posted? That's more credible than your ignorant comments

Do you know what New York, Tokyo, London, Paris, Chicago, Singapore & Hong Kong have in common? A major financial center. Those cities influence the global economy. They lead the world...LA is just a follower.

Keep bragging about the GDP. It still does not change the fact that Chicago is an Alpha+ city (one level above LA). You can't fool the experts and educated people who know how the global economy works.
Most U.S. cities are absurdly high in their "global" rankings b/c of the United States financial prowess. This doesn't make them better cities though. Basically any large population center is going to be alpha/beta b/c our per capita incomes are high in the U.S.
LA is definitely not a follower.

The obvious answer I think is DC, it's already the capital.

If we are talking about cultural output, it's definitely LA.

If we are talking about population size, it's definitely LA.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:33 AM

555 posts, read 592,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Most U.S. cities are absurdly high in their "global" rankings b/c of the United States financial prowess. This doesn't make them better cities though. Basically any large population center is going to be alpha/beta b/c our per capita incomes are high in the U.S.
LA is definitely not a follower.

The obvious answer I think is DC, it's already the capital.

If we are talking about cultural output, it's definitely LA.

If we are talking about population size, it's definitely LA.
Not much to argue about here.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:41 AM

669 posts, read 917,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If we are asking which is city the #2 in the country is definitely LA, no two ways around it. It was rightfully winning the poll too. Until Chicago miraculously received dozens of votes in a matter of few minutes after the thread was bumped. Whoever is doing this is not being very smart about it to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City