Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Premier US city without NYC
Washington, DC 38 8.00%
Boston 19 4.00%
Philadelphia 73 15.37%
Chicago 179 37.68%
Los Angeles 142 29.89%
San Francisco 24 5.05%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:41 PM

541 posts, read 914,659 times

Advertisements

Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,437,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
word jayp

greatest cities by default

there was one roman empire and it moved to new york

the rest are followers
Comparing NYC to the Roman Empire...the lulz. It isn't even our nation's capital.

I swear, if there was a line to drink that city's bathwater, it would be full of 'city vs city' posters.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:46 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,437,516 times
Chicago is holding on to it's 3rd City status by the slimmest of margins as is...exactly how does it vault all the way to #1 in this hypothetical scenario?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,025,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Chicago is holding on to it's 3rd City status by the slimmest of margins as is...exactly how does it vault all the way to #1 in this hypothetical scenario?
Chicago may be the "3rd city", but IMO it's second behind NYC and most similar in the country to NYC in almost every way. Chicago's like a lesser NYC but still an extremely respectable city, obviously. This is my opinion by the way.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:59 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,464,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Chicago may be the "3rd city", but IMO it's second behind NYC and most similar in the country to NYC in almost every way. Chicago's like a lesser NYC but still an extremely respectable city, obviously. This is my opinion by the way.
chicago trumps every city but new york. the only thing la has on chicago is population

Old 07-30-2013, 09:01 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,746,347 times
Chicago easily. LA can't compete with other powerful world cities without a financial center. Experts on this subject do agree

What Is the World's Most Economically Powerful City? - Richard Florida - The Atlantic

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ive-city/?_r=0

Last edited by downtown1; 07-30-2013 at 09:09 PM..

Old 07-30-2013, 09:06 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,340,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Lol no. Everything you said is wrong. Without New York, Newark wouldn't exist. It is basically a suburb of New York and would not be able to function independently. Those shipyards are there because of NYC actually if I'm not mistaken, those shipyards were moved from NY to NJ because there was no room in NYC and there was plenty of room in NJ. All of the business in Newark is there because they want a cheaper alternative to NYC but still want to be close to NYC.

As for Newark being older than Philly? Wrong again. The earliest developments in Newark were in 1666 and Newark was originally founded as a township in 1693 but was not incorporated as a city until 1836. There were developments in what would be called Philadelphia as far back as 1623 but the name recognition of 'Philadelphia' was founded by William Penn in 1682 and was incorporated as a city in 1701.

Philadelphia was the economic and government powerhouse in the beginning of the US for a long time. If New York was never there the economic powerhouse would remain in Philadelphia and there would probably be a large ship yard just South of Philadelphia in the Delaware Bay.
Not necessarily, I mean I suggested Philly for this case, but I see where the poster was coming from suggesting Newark, and I wouldn't call him wrong. If the Dutch built a fort on the left bank of the Hudson instead of right bank, everything we know New York to be would be in what is now Hudson County, NJ. The NYC we know is what it is because of this harbor. If NYC was never founded where it is today, a major city would have grown up somewhere else in this harbor, and it would be an enormous city because it would be on the same harbor that made NYC. Arguing about what Newark is now in relation to NYC, in an imaginary scenario where there never was a NYC, is not relevant.

And truthfully, this whole discussion is off topic because the OP came back and said the assumption is that NYC disappears suddenly today. So I'll stop there.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:

What do you mean 3rd city status?

Judging by the poll, LA is 3rd city status.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:13 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,561,811 times
Quote:
how about a hypothetical scenario where you stop riding my a ss?

Old 07-30-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
how about a hypothetical scenario where you stop riding my a ss?

LA is losing the poll, he may not sleep tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City