Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:51 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Speak for yourself. Not everyone in Texas loves the heat. It's HOT here. Taking off clothes still doesn't help. I've been through a July with no A/C and stripping and box fans wasn't cutting it.

Best/worst is subjective.

I for one am a cold weather fan. The more accessories I can wear the better. I LOVE seeing my breath breathing outside. 30s-40s as a high is LOVELY.

I could so take 3 months of continuous cold cold weather. I've been living in continuous months of hotter than hell and I'm more irritable and depressed in the summer. My mood is more calm in the winter.

I use to want to live in Denver but that would have me committed. Snow and sunshine = stupid and annoying for me. Gloomy weather is actually pretty IMO and snow doesn't mix with the sun shining.

Whatever city gets the most evened out weather is my vote for best. 3 months snow/cold as the North Pole, 3 months breeze crispy fall, 3 months 80s-90s summer and 3 months of mild 60s-70s of spring. Give or take a month but whatever city(s) that gets snow AND heat is perfection. If it gets both then it's tolerable because IMO you have some relief if you hate the snow or relief if you hate the heat.

I live in Houston. I get no relief from the heat on a continuous basis. Winter is sporadic. It gets cold but over a 3 month period of a few days here, a day here, a hour here. A months straight of a continuous weather type then a 180 switch is perfect IMO.
You'd like most weather in the "North" (Upper Midwest and Northeast).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 09:39 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,216 times
To me, Dallas was the worst combination of hot, drought-stricken, stormy, prone to insects and periods of deep freeze I could imagine. It even edged out Houston for being miserable.

San Francisco is the exact opposite-- seven months of Spring and three months of Fall, with a month of Summer in April and again in October to keep it amazing. From May to September we are also treated to a nightly show of fog rolling in through the Golden Gate, which cools the air and provides a little moisture for the plants, since it never rains during that time. Large groves of eucalyptus trees scent the air on warm days. The air is clear and clean. Skies are typically cloud-free. There's usually a cool breeze from the west-an ocean breeze, that counters the warm sun.

Today, for instance--we took in a Giants day game. It was 68 degrees and sunny at game time, but because there were no clouds, the sun was hot. It was T-shirt and shorts weather. By 2:30pm, our seats were in the shade and it was much more comfortable. Now, at 8:30, the sun has set and the breeze is coming in off the Pacific. It is 62, with very little humidity. It smells clean and fresh. I have my window open with no A/C and my apartment is perfectly comfortable.

I'm not sure what could be much better.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:40 PM

23,518 posts, read 23,995,040 times
San Diego - best
Worst - Phoenix (too damn hot), or Minneapolis (too damn cold)

Old 04-25-2014, 11:26 PM

95 posts, read 117,719 times
Best: san diego

Worst: some where in alaska

Old 04-26-2014, 12:45 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
BEST (in order):

1) El Paso, TX - 4 seasons, but none opressive in the least; winter highs in the high 50s to low 70s and summer highs top out generally only in the low 100s with no humidity and cooldowns at nights.
Someone needs to teach you what winter weather is like, if you're counting that as "four seasons."

As for everyone picking San Diego as "best" ... if what you're looking for is the same, nice, weather year round, you're right. If you like the change in the seasons, it's deficient.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:43 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Exclamation Seattle and Portland's risk of soil liquefaction in an earthquake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Jesus you Seattlites need to get over yourselves! Seattle's weather is far from the best, it's pretty terrible actually. Yes it's mild but it's on the colder side of mild compared to LA or SF. It's dreary and drizzly and gray a LOT, and it's never cold enough to skate or ski outside (nearby) and it's rarely warm enough to swim (comfortably) outside.

You're entitled to your opinion though.
Another reason that San Diego gets my vote of where to relocate over Seattle and Portland.....their risk of soil liquefaction in an earthquake!
Northwest States Mapping Liquefaction Susceptibility » News » OPB

Plus, I could certainly be happy with year round pleasant weather,over 8-9 months of dreary skies and drizzle or rain,and having to get your Vitamin D from a pill sure isn't healthy physically or mentally!

Old 04-27-2014, 10:23 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,044 times
In my opinion:

Best (in order)
Providence, RI - Four seasons, nothing too extreme, a fair snow but not too much of it. Thunderstorms in the summer.
Boston, MA - Much like Providence, but some years there's a touch too much snow. Almost perfect.
Boise, ID - Almost perfect, a touch too dry.
Spokane, WA - Almost perfect, but lacking regular summer thunderstorms.
Omaha, NE - Weather can get a little extreme from time to time, but it generally represents what I'm looking for.

Worst:
Bakersfield, CA - Absolutely the worst in the country. Heat + humidity from the farms + pollution + lack of natural vegetation + no snow
Phoenix, AZ - Second worst. Hotter than Bakersfield. Not as polluted. Nicer sunsets.
Las Vegas, NV - Slightly cooler than Phoenix
El Paso, TX - Ditto

Old 04-27-2014, 12:59 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
Speak for yourself. Not everyone in Texas loves the heat. It's HOT here. Taking off clothes still doesn't help. I've been through a July with no A/C and stripping and box fans wasn't cutting it.

Best/worst is subjective.

I for one am a cold weather fan. The more accessories I can wear the better. I LOVE seeing my breath breathing outside. 30s-40s as a high is LOVELY.

I could so take 3 months of continuous cold cold weather. I've been living in continuous months of hotter than hell and I'm more irritable and depressed in the summer. My mood is more calm in the winter.

I use to want to live in Denver but that would have me committed. Snow and sunshine = stupid and annoying for me. Gloomy weather is actually pretty IMO and snow doesn't mix with the sun shining.

Whatever city gets the most evened out weather is my vote for best. 3 months snow/cold as the North Pole, 3 months breeze crispy fall, 3 months 80s-90s summer and 3 months of mild 60s-70s of spring. Give or take a month but whatever city(s) that gets snow AND heat is perfection. If it gets both then it's tolerable because IMO you have some relief if you hate the snow or relief if you hate the heat.

I live in Houston. I get no relief from the heat on a continuous basis. Winter is sporadic. It gets cold but over a 3 month period of a few days here, a day here, a hour here. A months straight of a continuous weather type then a 180 switch is perfect IMO.
Nothing in my post said anything about loving the heat. I was referring to the likelihood that most native Texans wouldn't be able to tolerate a upper Midwestern winter. I enjoy the cold as well, but not at the level I would get in Minneapolis.

I've also survived Texas summers with no A/C. I don't know about you, but staying hydrated and sleeping nude seemed to do the trick.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:11 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Jesus you Seattlites need to get over yourselves! Seattle's weather is far from the best, it's pretty terrible actually. Yes it's mild but it's on the colder side of mild compared to LA or SF. It's dreary and drizzly and gray a LOT, and it's never cold enough to skate or ski outside (nearby) and it's rarely warm enough to swim (comfortably) outside.

You're entitled to your opinion though.
Yeah, I used to think so too but Seattle actually has something that resembles more of a proper summer topping out at around 76 for average highs in Jul/Aug. Not the best, but better than SF IMO. San Francisco is annoyingly mild, barely hitting a 70 degree average high in its warmest month, September. If I lived in the Bay Area I'd have to live in Alameda County or somewhere a bit further inland. I do agree about LA though...I really loved the summer when I lived there.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:50 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,867 times
Best: San Diego, LA, and parts of the Bay Area

Worst: Chicago, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City