Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 08:44 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,192,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
Yes, most of Kalorama consists of single family, detached homes with yards and driveways. Some streets don't even have sidwalks. Check out any of the streets.

kalorama, washington dc - Google Maps

This is typical Kalorama. It's the same on Belmont Rd., Tracy Place, Wyoming Ave., Kalorama Rd., California St., etc. etc.

You're comparing an area that looks like a nice, older suburb, with Manhattan of all places. This is why everyone is challenging the comparison. It's crazy. It's like comparing Greenwich, CT to K Street in downtown DC.

Dude, you are losing your credibility. Plus, your link isn't focusing on the neighborhood streetview. It shows an overview. Kalorama is bordered by Connecticut Ave to the West, Columbia Rd to the east and Calvert Street to the North. There isn't a southern border because where Connecticut and Columbia splits, it forms a V shape for the entire neighborhood. Kalorama is a small neigborhood full of rowhouses and apartment buildings. On the Conn Ave and Columbia Rd side, its all apartment buildings. In between these two areas are big a$$ rowhouses. Calvert Street crosses the Duke Ellington Bridge. The entire neighborhood is filled with expensive a$$ rowhouses and condos. I THINK YOU ARE CONFUSING KALORAMA WITH SHERIDAN, which is on the west side of Connecticut. It's filled with mansions. I zeroed in on your streetview and I only saw what I just stated. Plus, I lived a few blocks from there on Lanier Place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2V2S...eature=related

Last edited by DC's Finest; 08-03-2012 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 09:04 AM

120 posts, read 209,570 times
DC is not really comparable to any other city, especially NYC (other than if you're comparing the top two cities for power and influence). Planning, architecture, street scape, etc. are completely different. Apples to Oranges. DC is unique with its height restrictions, design restrictions, set-back regulations, etc. It is a beautiful city and one of the most influential cities in the world (possibly only behind NY, London and Tokyo), but when you think of the city from this architecture and layout perspective, it really isn't comparable to any other city due its uniqueness.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:21 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,735,046 times
No contest Chicago takes it by a long shot.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:38 PM

13,780 posts, read 15,866,441 times
People wondering what kind of retail is going into downtown DC at City Center DC's 400,000 sq. feet of retail space on the bottom of all 7 buildings. Here are some hints the developer gave a few months ago:

"As for the remaining retail space at CityCenter, Riker said he is a month or so away from announcing the first leasing deal and has several signed letters of intent. He declined to disclose names. Riker did make it clear that he is talking to established retailers that are looking to roll out concepts with a limited amount of locations—think Ralph Lauren’s Rugby or J.Crew’s Madewell.

The VP also said the company has had discussions with Japanese retailer Uniqlo and British apparel chain Top Shop. Both stores are in expansion mode and have said that D.C is one of the top five markets on their list. Each store typically takes anywhere from 20,000 to 30,000 square feet of space."

When City Center is all leased up, Downtown DC will have over 1 million sq. feet of retail in Penn Quarter alone. That should really change downtown DC for the forseable future.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:43 PM

32,195 posts, read 34,923,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
People wondering what kind of retail is going into downtown DC at City Center DC's 400,000 sq. feet of retail space on the bottom of all 7 buildings. Here are some hints the developer gave a few months ago:

"As for the remaining retail space at CityCenter, Riker said he is a month or so away from announcing the first leasing deal and has several signed letters of intent. He declined to disclose names. Riker did make it clear that he is talking to established retailers that are looking to roll out concepts with a limited amount of locations—think Ralph Lauren’s Rugby or J.Crew’s Madewell.

The VP also said the company has had discussions with Japanese retailer Uniqlo and British apparel chain Top Shop. Both stores are in expansion mode and have said that D.C is one of the top five markets on their list. Each store typically takes anywhere from 20,000 to 30,000 square feet of space."

When City Center is all leased up, Downtown DC will have over 1 million sq. feet of retail in Penn Quarter alone. That should really change downtown DC for the forseable future.
That's not exactly premium retail.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not exactly premium retail.
I don't think this area is going to have Gucci or Prada etc. We already have that in Friendship Heights and Georgetown. I think this area is going to comprise of shopping normal young people actually wear while complimenting the stores already there in Penn Quarter. It's also supposed to be signature type places I think. You should be able to get things at the downtown store you can't find in the suburbs etc. etc. Keep in mind, Douglas Development is trying to fill the entire F street frontage with retail also. The entire Penn Quarter/East End area of Downtown will be bursting with retail soon.

On a side note, what kind of shopping would you want to go into City Center DC?

Old 08-07-2012, 01:21 PM

27,786 posts, read 28,897,876 times
Quote:
On a side note, what kind of shopping would you want to go into City Center DC?
Anything and everything

Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Anything and everything
That didn't exactly answer the question. Specific stores?

Old 08-07-2012, 01:48 PM

27,786 posts, read 28,897,876 times
Quote:
That didn't exactly answer the question. Specific stores?
It should be at least competitive with the stores in Tysons Corner, I would think, since that's the premier shopping mall in the DC area.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It should be at least competitive with the stores in Tysons Corner, I would think, since that's the premier shopping mall in the DC area.
I think many of the stores will only have one or two location's in the entire country. Many stores opening may only be in NYC and DC or the UK and DC etc. The stores in Tyson's Corner are chains. These will be very exclusive stores I beleive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City