Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 12:30 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,006,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Whatever, this is useless becuase I'm not disagreeing with you about DC being nothing like Manhattan. When I said rival Manhattan in consistent downtown development, I was talking about consistent development meaning lack of parking lots and open space. Why would I compare actual buildinds? DC has height limits. You guys are amazing.

I do beleive many area's will have a density around where Logan Circle is today in 15 years. That's from plans in place. DC is it's own city and doesn't have to be anything like NYC, Philly, or Boston. I was making a land comparison, that's it. The island of Manhattan is 23 miles. I was making a comparison to that. The DC Core is bigger than 23 miles. It will always have peaks and Valleys just like any other area. There is huge potential in Mt. Vernon Square, Northwest One, NOMA, Mid City, Shaw, Capital Riverfront, SW Waterfront, Atlas District, and Logan Circle. These area's will be the most densely populated. We can wait to see what the official numbers are in the 2020 census and 2030 census. Either way, DC is changing.
Fair enough but again you said MOST of the this new core will be between 40 and 70K, splitting the difference at 55K that is like over a million people in those 23 sq miles. This is where the logic seems to fall apart. Lets say today that 65% of people live there, you are rationally saying this space is going to add 1.5 people for every one that lives in this space and within 15 years. Are you insane, that is an add equivelent to the whole population of DC today. This doesnt even come close to passing any reality test.

Those assertions are beyond outlandish and why many people react.

On your criteria and footprint I guess there are similarities, though to be fair DC stretches further because of the height limits honestly so either way there is not a good apples to apples on footprint in this regard.

No matter what the amount of developement is astonishing (taxpayer and economy subsidy withstanding)

I enjoyed my time this week in DC, find it great city though find a slightly different reality on the whole to what what you and DCfinast at times proport. A great city though and getting better all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 12:33 PM

13,741 posts, read 15,813,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
There are relatively few three story structures in Manhattan. The predominant built form consists of dense midrises and higher, with no front yards, and no alleys or back yards.

In contrast, in what you are calling "core" DC, there are tons and tons of 2 and 3 floor structures, including single family homes with front yards and back yards. The built environment has nothing to do with Manhattan, even in the densest parts.

There are tons of three story buildings all around Central Park in Manhattan. I'm not going to argue this with you though becuase I agree DC is nothing like and never will be anything like Manhattan. Simple as that.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:42 PM

300 posts, read 525,546 times
Quote:
There are tons of three story buildings all around Central Park in Manhattan. I'm not going to argue this with you though becuase I agree DC is nothing like and never will be anything like Manhattan. Simple as that.
Where are there "tons of three story buildings all around Central Park"?

That's simply false. There are very few such buildings. Most buildings surrounding Central Park are highrises.

Offhand, I can't think of one three-floor building on Central Park, though one probably exists somewhere.

Three-floor buildings aren't common anywhere in Manhattan. Even in the least dense neighborhoods, the building stock is in the 5-10 floor range, with the occasional highrise.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Fair enough but again you said MOST of the this new core will be between 40 and 70K, splitting the difference at 55K that is like over a million people in those 23 sq miles. This is where the logic seems to fall apart. Lets say today that 65% of people live there, you are rationally saying this space is going to add 1.5 people for every one that lives in this space and within 15 years. Are you insane, that is an add equivelent to the whole population of DC today. This doesnt even come close to passing any reality test.

Those assertions are beyond outlandish and why many people react.

On your criteria and footprint I guess there are similarities, though to be fair DC stretches further because of the height limits honestly so either way there is not a good apples to apples on footprint in this regard.

No matter what the amount of developement is astonishing (taxpayer and economy subsidy withstanding)

I enjoyed my time this week in DC, find it great city though find a slightly different reality on the whole to what what you and DCfinast at times proport. A great city though and getting better all the time
Did you even study the density map I showed you of DC? Most census tracts are already between 20,000 and 50,000 now north of the CBD. All the growth is happening in the core. DC is projected to be over 800,000 people by 2030. That is more than enough people to push density that high. Add 200,000 people to those core neighborhoods and you will have that kind of density. The streetcars China will be building in DC is going to be a major catalyst for even more infill in the core.

I don't see DC for what it is today, I see DC for what it can be in the future. Do you know any planners? We all think in future tense. We know it takes years and even decades to do anything which is why we are always focused on the future. In 2030, I will be talking about 2050. It's the nature of the business. I said DC's built environment stretched becuase of the height limits, go back and read.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:

That's simply false. There are very few such buildings. Most buildings surrounding Central Park are highrises.

Offhand, I can't think of one three-floor building on Central Park, though one probably exists somewhere.

Three-floor buildings aren't common anywhere in Manhattan. Even in the least dense neighborhoods, the building stock is in the 5-10 floor range, with the occasional highrise.
Whatever, 3-5 stories, my point is every building is not 12 stories.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM

Let's not act like Midtown Midhattan is the norm in NYC. This is how many area's in NYC look. It's built denser than DC but who said it wasn't?

Manhattan, New York, NY - Google Maps

Old 08-02-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Let's not act like Midtown Midhattan is the norm in NYC. This is how many area's in NYC look. It's built denser than DC but who said it wasn't?

and nearly everything even in your links is 5 stories plus take a look at those brownstones a lttle closer

Old 08-02-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
and nearly everything even in your links is 5 stories plus take a look at those brownstones a lttle closer

Woops...you must not have read this first.

Quote:

Quote:
Whatever, 3-5 stories, my point is every building is not 12 stories.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Woops...you must not have read this first.

no I did and most are 5 and above

I agree its not all midtown highrises, actually am glad for that personally

Old 08-02-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
no I did and most are 5 and above

I agree its not all midtown highrises, actually am glad for that personally
So if you read that first, why did you say that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City