Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 09:47 AM

300 posts, read 525,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
If you don't want to talk about the future, you shouldn't have responded to my post since that is all I was talking about.
I don't think that 15 years in the future, Shaw rowhouses (or any of these rowhouse areas) will be demolished for highrise density. I doubt that would even be legal.

The highrises I see going up in DC are all on major arterials (Mass Ave., NY Ave., etc.) but the side streets are remaining lowrise and low density.

I don't see any side streets in DC where townhouses are being demolished for big buildings. Only the major avenues are getting the greater density. And even those major avenues aren't Manhattan-like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:32 AM

13,758 posts, read 15,844,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
And I provided data for Logan Sq you are saying different borders

I am also talking in reality and the here and now, you are the one with the OUTLANDISH future (i.e. not reality today) claims not me

And yes I have and as usual you continually move the criteria

Huge footprint here but let me explain with a small one here and the will say hmm you are not in reality, yep I follow completely

Whatever Kidphilly....you are a waste of my time. You stay in Philly and I will remain in DC. Good luck to you.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:37 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,187,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
You are making a comparison with Manhattan, and these neighborhoods are nothing like Manhattan. That's the reason some folks are incredulous.

Shaw isn't the "downtown core" anyways. Even Dupont isn't "downtown core". You go one block off Connecticut, and there are detached single family townhomes in Kalorama.

Connecicut Ave. is Brooklyn-like in density, even in the heart of Dupont. That's about as dense and vibrant as non-downtown DC gets.

Yet you're going much, much farther, and saying less dense areas, like Southwest, will be Manhattan-like in a few years, which sounds ridiculous.
Not in Kalorama?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I don't think that 15 years in the future, Shaw rowhouses (or any of these rowhouse areas) will be demolished for highrise density. I doubt that would even be legal.

The highrises I see going up in DC are all on major arterials (Mass Ave., NY Ave., etc.) but the side streets are remaining lowrise and low density.

I don't see any side streets in DC where townhouses are being demolished for big buildings. Only the major avenues are getting the greater density. And even those major avenues aren't Manhattan-like.
I was talking about major avenues. Haven't you been paying attention? Didn't you see my reference to 7th street, 9th street, 14th street, U Street, Florida Ave, North Capitol street etc. All those are main roads right next to each other which is all I have been talking about this whole time. Lining those streets with buildings in the 200-300 unit range creates the urban canyon environment I have been talking about and greatly increases density. When did I ever reference a side street? And once again, who said anything about any of this being built like Manhattan?

Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,958,270 times
Quote:
I was talking about major avenues. Haven't you been paying attention? Didn't you see my reference to 7th street, 9th street, 14th street, U Street, Florida Ave, North Capitol street etc. All those are main roads right next to each other which is all I have been talking about this whole time. Lining those streets with buildings in the 200-300 unit range creates the urban canyon environment I have been talking about and greatly increases density. When did I ever reference a side street? And once again, who said anything about any of this being built like Manhattan?
When you say the downtown footprint will be larger than Manhattan, wouldn't it be assumed you would be talking about side streets as well?

Old 08-02-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
When you say the downtown footprint will be larger than Manhattan, wouldn't it be assumed you would be talking about side streets as well?
There are three story structures in Manhattan too. We mainly focus on the big avenues though. Aren't most downtown's a mixture of housing types? My point is, there will be a consistently built environment in the DC Core. That's pretty much all I said.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:55 AM

300 posts, read 525,888 times
Quote:
There are three story structures in Manhattan too. We mainly focus on the big avenues though. Aren't most downtown's a mixture of housing types? My point is, there will be a consistently built environment in the DC Core. That's pretty much all I said.
There are relatively few three story structures in Manhattan. The predominant built form consists of dense midrises and higher, with no front yards, and no alleys or back yards.

In contrast, in what you are calling "core" DC, there are tons and tons of 2 and 3 floor structures, including single family homes with front yards and back yards. The built environment has nothing to do with Manhattan, even in the densest parts.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:59 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,046,436 times
Quote:
DC's Downtown Core will eclipse Manhattan in square milage soon. The downtown footprint is growing at an alarming rate. DC will never come close to NYC on vibrancy, but DC will definetly rival NYC in consistent downtown development. In 2020, CBD level development will extend throught the following Neighborhoods.

West to East from:

1. FoggyBottom
2. Dupont Circle
3. Logan Circle/Mid City
4. Shaw/Penn Quarter
5. Mt. Vernon Triangle
6. NorthWest One
7. NOMA
8. Atlas District

North to South From:

1. Columbia Heights/MidCity/Dupont Circle/Shaw
2. Foggy Bottom/MidTown/Penn Quarter/Mt. Vernon Triangle/NorthWest One/NOMA/Atlas District
3. National Mall (Dead Zone)
4. SW Eco District
5. SW Waterfront/Capital Riverfront/Barracks Row

This area is bigger than the island of Manhattan.
Quote:
Single family homes in Shaw? Where? Are you talking about rowhouses? Also, many of those are already condo's or being converted to condo's. You are looking at this area in 2012 eyes by the way. I'm talking about what this area will be in 2020-2025. Most of this area will have a density of 40,000-70,000 people per square mile. What has happened in Logan Circle which is 60,000+ people per square mile is also happening in all these area's. Capital Riverfront is adding 8,000 units and NOMA is adding 10,000 units just to give you an example. I know it is hard for people that aren't planners to have vision mapping out what an area will look like which defies what their eyes currently see. If you followed development in DC closely though, you would cosign with me. The area's I have mapped out will be full of tightly packed 8-13 story residential buildings which is the exact height needed for the type of density I have pointed towards.
The bolded are the ones I will disagree with. Maybe the footprint but in type and concentration of development no match for NYC

Arlington VA has lots of development for a large footprint but wouldnt compare to DC in concentration of development as an example of to me where your argument and comparison to NYC falls short.

I dont think anyone is really saying the footprint isnt large. but for NYC what are you considering the footprint because to me if you are including all those areas it would include as the comparator in Manhattan say from the Battery to like 100+ street or at least contuity from those two; DC seems smaller than that space; maybe I am wrong as I dont the exact sq mileage

And that is without extending into places like Jersey City or DT BK

Old 08-02-2012, 12:14 PM

32,186 posts, read 34,890,240 times
Quote:
They are squeezing them in there. Here are some examples.

This used to be a parking lot and a field.

Washington, DC - Google Maps

This was also a parking lot.

These now exist.

*Archstone First and M Apartments in Washington DC | Archstone Apartments in DC

These parcels have been fully developed.

This used to be a huge field.

This 600 unit building is probably finished by now.

Construction to Begin on 603-Unit NoMa Apartment Project

This whole block was actually demolished.

To make room for this.

Louis, Louis: JBG’s 14th and U Project to Start Construction Within a Week

This entire block, including the Boys and Girls Club in the background, was razed to make room for another multi-story condo building.

These are just some of the projects I know off the top of my head.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The bolded are the ones I will disagree with maybe the footprint but in type and concentration of development no match for NYC

Arlington VA has lots of development for a large footprint but wouldnt compare to DC in concentration of development as an example of to me where your argument and comparison to NYC fall short.

I dont think anyone is really saying the footprint isnt large. but for NYC what are you considering the footprint because to me if you are including all those areas it would include as the comparator in Manhattan say from the Battery to like 100+ street or at least contuity from those two; DC seems smaller than than space maybe I wrong dont the exact sq mileage

And that is without extending into places like Jersey City or DT BK

Whatever, this is useless becuase I'm not disagreeing with you about DC being nothing like Manhattan. When I said rival Manhattan in consistent downtown development, I was talking about consistent development meaning lack of parking lots and open space. Why would I compare actual buildinds? DC has height limits. You guys are amazing.

I do beleive many area's will have a density around where Logan Circle is today in 15 years. That's from plans in place. DC is it's own city and doesn't have to be anything like NYC, Philly, or Boston. I was making a land comparison, that's it. The island of Manhattan is 23 miles. I was making a comparison to that. The DC Core is bigger than 23 miles. It will always have peaks and Valleys just like any other area. There is huge potential in Mt. Vernon Square, Northwest One, NOMA, Mid City, Shaw, Capital Riverfront, SW Waterfront, Atlas District, and Logan Circle. These area's will be the most densely populated. We can wait to see what the official numbers are in the 2020 census and 2030 census. Either way, DC is changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City