Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:44 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,994,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Thanks for the video. DC will be amazing in ten years. This video doesn't include Poplar Point development either.
Hey DC's Finest, is the infill in DC really that noticeable? I get the impression that the density of DC will expand 50%. Always good to know that there's some other place out east besides NYC and Chicago that can compete with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 09:45 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,170,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Aside from obviously being more of a downtown city, I'd also argue that Chicago is just as much (if not more) of a neighborhood city as well.

Downtown Chicago is just leagues ahead of Downtown DC at the moment. That being said, Downtown DC has a bright future and it certainly has the potential to be a truly great downtown several years down the road.
Not really! I will give Chicago the edge because it has much better shopping and restaurants but DT DC has way more tourist attractions and things to do. DC will surpass Chicago in office space in the next 10 years also.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:47 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,170,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Hey DC's Finest, is the infill in DC really that noticeable? I get the impression that the density of DC will expand 50%. Always good to know that there's some other place out east besides NYC and Chicago that can compete with us.
Yes. There are cranes all over DT right now. That video compilation MD provided is already in effect.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:10 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,914,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Yes. There are cranes all over DT right now. That video compilation MD provided is already in effect.
This.

You definitely notice all the construction. It's all low and mid rise obviously, but entire sections of the city are building up with lots of infill.

It's nice to see all the development around metro stations especially.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 AM

300 posts, read 525,246 times
Chicago still has a somewhat better core, but Downtown DC is catching up fast.

DC is way more desirable, with higher rents and lower vacancies. It just has a much better economy, and is more prosperous. But Chicago has the soaring towers and better shopping.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:43 PM

502 posts, read 718,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
This is so disrespectful. Most people know that Chicago is second only to NYC in terms of downtown. It's funny, because alot of people bash Chicago and I don't know why. It always seemed to me that NYC'ers or people from NY state (like me) always boost Chicago instead of putting it down. I love Chicago. I love NYC too. But I don't put down Chicago and most people from NYC have much "respect" for Chicago. It's everyone else that seems to bash or belittle it. Like D.C. really compares with Chicago when it comes to downtown.
I find that most people build their perceptions on a city from media stereotypes and then claim "expert" status after they've been through the airport. I live in Los Angeles and the natives out here are always stunned to hear that Chicago has large Mexican and Puerto Rican populations and a vibrant Chinatown and Korean community. They're always like "No! Chicago is just lots of black people and white people and cows, because that's like wayyy over in the midwest" and I'm like "since when did you become an expert on demographics and culture of the midwest? You haven't even been east of Riverside." Just shows how insulated many Californians are.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:36 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,137 posts, read 7,591,033 times
The construction going on in Downtown DC is amazing!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,787,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
No problem! Akridge's Burnham Place that will deck over the tracks at Union Station with initial infrastructure starting sometime next year has the potential to trump all these plans for downtown north and downtown south in my opinion. The residential high rise views will be the best in the city and it will bridge NOMA and the Atlas District along H street. Akridge has been waiting for Amtrak to release their plans so they could begin construction. The Amtrak train service upgrades will take decades to happen but the decking over of the tracks for residential high rises and hotel/office space is about to happen now.

Renderings
http://www.cpexecutive.com/wp-conten...=90&w=629&zc=1
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...42590814_n.jpg
http://www.cpexecutive.com/wp-conten...=90&w=629&zc=1
http://washcycle.typepad.com/.a/6a00...c1d8970d-600wi
http://archpaper.com/uploads/image/d...station_19.jpg
Here is a video of the development planned for Union Station in DC.
New Union Station animations on Vimeo

Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,970,507 times
Spent the weekend in DC; while a large footprint and growing I still find Chicago to be more compressed and more vibrant on the whole. DC is also a great US DT just not quite as good on the whole when compared to Chicago.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,323,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
Chicago still has a somewhat better core, but Downtown DC is catching up fast.

DC is way more desirable, with higher rents and lower vacancies. It just has a much better economy, and is more prosperous. But Chicago has the soaring towers and better shopping.
Uhm yeah, ok. I think first DC has to catch up with SF, Seattle, Philly, Boston and dare I say LA before it catches up "fast" with Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City