Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 02:59 PM

13,741 posts, read 15,813,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Haha, are you for real? DC would first have to surpass Philly, SF, Boston, Seattle before it can start being compared to Chicago in regards to downtown. I am not bashing DC's downtown it's just Chicago is way ahead.

DC's downtown is more comparable to a city like Denver. That's just downtown. As a city DC is certainly comparable to Chicago.
You are right if you are talking about the "traditional downtown". DC is on the verge of joining NYC in that it will have two massive downtowns right next to each other. DC is no and never will be close to anything in NYC but the northern downtown and southern downtown forming in DC will pack quite a punch. The national mall is the dividing line betweent the two. The southern downtown will have 3 major waterfronts and is home to Nationals Baseball Stadium and maybe a future DC United Stadium. Both downtowns will give DC a major boost when all the dust settles from the cranes over the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 05:16 PM

362 posts, read 666,643 times
Chicago by a pretty big gap

Old 07-28-2012, 01:06 AM

90 posts, read 208,474 times
From the typical definition of downtown (skyscrapers, shopping, i.e.), Chicago by far. But from other aspects downtown DC by far. Other aspects meaning monuments, museums, history, power, cleanliness, uniqueness, pace, cosmopolitan, architecture, transit, adjacent vibrant neighborhoods, many things to do... especially for free, i.e... downtown DC greater than downtown Chicago.

City proper wise, pretty close. Metro wise, metro DC easily.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:10 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,532,228 times
Chicago in most aspects

Old 07-28-2012, 08:46 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,227,130 times
Chicago hands down, theres quality high fashion shops, department stores, navypeir, the beach, and chinatown.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:13 AM

27,676 posts, read 28,776,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popnet View Post
From the typical definition of downtown (skyscrapers, shopping, i.e.), Chicago by far. But from other aspects downtown DC by far. Other aspects meaning monuments, museums, history, power, cleanliness, uniqueness, pace, cosmopolitan, architecture, transit, adjacent vibrant neighborhoods, many things to do... especially for free, i.e... downtown DC greater than downtown Chicago.
DC is also unique in that the "focus" of the city is those other things - the monuments, memorials, museums and federal buildings. The philosophy of the city is to preserve these views and have a little more somber experience. So, the downtown business district takes a back seat. Plus, there are security issues because the White House is right in downtown DC and the U.S. Capitol Building, Supreme Court, etc., are close. Streets get closed off frequently.

However, away from these areas, the downtown can and should be more vibrant. I think New York Avenue or maybe Massachusetts Avenue ought to become the "magnificent mile" of DC.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 07-28-2012 at 09:21 AM..

Old 07-28-2012, 12:09 PM

Washington DC's Emerging South Downtown:

World class Wharf Neighborhood being built:

The Wharf - Washington, DC - YouTube

Yards Park:

The Yards Park - YouTube

Navy Yard Neighborhood when Finished:

The Yards Virtual Tour - YouTube

Entire Capitol Riverfront area:

Capitol Riverfront - YouTube

Old 07-28-2012, 12:13 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,160,939 times
This is so disrespectful. Most people know that Chicago is second only to NYC in terms of downtown. It's funny, because alot of people bash Chicago and I don't know why. It always seemed to me that NYC'ers or people from NY state (like me) always boost Chicago instead of putting it down. I love Chicago. I love NYC too. But I don't put down Chicago and most people from NYC have much "respect" for Chicago. It's everyone else that seems to bash or belittle it. Like D.C. really compares with Chicago when it comes to downtown.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
DC is also unique in that the "focus" of the city is those other things - the monuments, memorials, museums and federal buildings. The philosophy of the city is to preserve these views and have a little more somber experience. So, the downtown business district takes a back seat. Plus, there are security issues because the White House is right in downtown DC and the U.S. Capitol Building, Supreme Court, etc., are close. Streets get closed off frequently.

However, away from these areas, the downtown can and should be more vibrant. I think New York Avenue or maybe Massachusetts Avenue ought to become the "magnificent mile" of DC.
Well, technically New York Ave. will run right through the 1,000,000+ new sq. feet of retail that will open in downtown next year. The developers of City Center said they are only signing mainly unique clothing retailers who are looking for entrance or flagships in the U.S. from around the world.

City Center DC - YouTube

Old 07-28-2012, 12:39 PM

303 posts, read 580,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
This is so disrespectful. Most people know that Chicago is second only to NYC in terms of downtown. It's funny, because alot of people bash Chicago and I don't know why. It always seemed to me that NYC'ers or people from NY state (like me) always boost Chicago instead of putting it down. I love Chicago. I love NYC too. But I don't put down Chicago and most people from NYC have much "respect" for Chicago. It's everyone else that seems to bash or belittle it. Like D.C. really compares with Chicago when it comes to downtown.
I'm from Chicago, I wanted to compare because both are unique in their own way.Both cities have a very urban structure and high public transit population. From what I hear, DT DC is growing. DT Chicago also is , but the Recession slowed things down and now is starting to pick back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City