Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:53 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,325,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
DC has a bustling downtown? Boston's downtown is busier and more vibant than DC's.
Downtown DC is boring, not even close to Chicago's.
It's not boring, but it's not exciting. I will give it htat much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Chicago for now. Maybe ask in about 5 yrs and this will be a better comparison. The multiple waterfronts and City Center DC being built will make this a much better competition in a few years.
Haha, are you for real? DC would first have to surpass Philly, SF, Boston, Seattle before it can start being compared to Chicago in regards to downtown. I am not bashing DC's downtown it's just Chicago is way ahead.

DC's downtown is more comparable to a city like Denver. That's just downtown. As a city DC is certainly comparable to Chicago.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:59 PM

27,644 posts, read 28,745,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchi60630 View Post
to me this is obvious, however only becuase ive not ever been to DC. im pretty sure based upon what i read up on this forum and all the boosters for it, downtown DC is definitely up next on places to visit and explore. I mean, shouldnt the capital city of the USA have a really eye opening holy wow downtown? forgive me if there are others on here that already feel that way... and i know theres not a dedicated shopping district per se, but imo shopping isnt a definitive factor that makes a city downtown better. i think of architecture and historical landmarks more so that define and characterize a downtown. but then again there are others that would like more shopping and nightlife... personally i could ride the el around the loop for hours just looking at well, everything lol.
I like the way DC's downtown opens up to the monuments & memorials, government buildings and museums on the Mall.

That's a unique, breathtaking contrast from DC's downtown.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Haha, are you for real? DC would first have to surpass Philly, SF, Boston, Seattle before it can start being compared to Chicago in regards to downtown. I am not bashing DC's downtown it's just Chicago is way ahead.

DC's downtown is more comparable to a city like Denver. That's just downtown. As a city DC is certainly comparable to Chicago.
Downtown DC actually has more office space than the other cities you mentioned (except for Chicago). But in terms of other qualities, it's not quite comparable because of the height limit and comparative lack of mixed residential areas.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Downtown DC actually has more office space than the other cities you mentioned (except for Chicago). But in terms of other qualities, it's not quite comparable because of the height limit and comparative lack of mixed residential areas.
That's what I was getting at. I really do enjoy DC's downtown. And actually it's very unique and provides a European feel to it. Where SF, Chicago, Philly, Boston all have downtowns that are more similar to each other and while they provide a unique experience, DC's is pretty unique.

I really do love DC. It's my third favorite city in the U.S. after Chicago and SF and that is saying A LOT.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
That's what I was getting at. I really do enjoy DC's downtown. And actually it's very unique and provides a European feel to it. Where SF, Chicago, Philly, Boston all have downtowns that are more similar to each other and while they provide a unique experience, DC's is pretty unique.

I really do love DC. It's my third favorite city in the U.S. after Chicago and SF and that is saying A LOT.
But it needs to be worked on: Better integration of residential and business areas, a large and notable shopping district, more and better nightlife options, and the like... Things that make for a more bustling downtown. There's really no reason downtown DC shouldn't be on the same level as SF, Boston and Philly's.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:16 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,903,685 times
Quote:
There is this awesome Mexican place in DuPont. I can't remember the name. It's huge, two stories with a real nice rooftop deck. Does anyone know the name of this place?
Are you thinking of Lauriol Plaza? That is a really good mexican/spanish/latin place...kind of between DuPont and Adams Morgan.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:17 PM

I think DC's downtown is a bit underrated (and by downtown I mean the urbanized core, not downtown proper). I'd put it in the top six in the US. That being said, Chicago comes out ahead. IMO, Chicago is a clear #2 after Manhattan.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Are you thinking of Lauriol Plaza? That is a really good mexican/spanish/latin place...kind of between DuPont and Adams Morgan.
Yes that is the place! I loved it there. Not the best Mexican I have had but it's a real nice place with great ambiance.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Yes that is the place! I loved it there. Not the best Mexican I have had but it's a real nice place with great ambiance.
Glad to help. I agree, the food is good, not fantastic, but it is a really fun atmosphere. I first went there in like 1999, hard to believe how quickly the time goes by...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City