Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,326,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Not true. Columbus has five and Cincinnati has six.
It is very true. Columbus has five and Cincinnati has ten.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 04:06 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,036,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
It is very true. Columbus has five and Cincinnati has ten.
Cincinnati: Kroger, Procter & Gamble, Macy's, Fifth Third Bancorp, AK Steel Corp, Western & Southern Financial Group, Ashland Oil, General Cable Corp, Omnicare, American Financial.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:57 AM

3,871 posts, read 3,162,983 times
Most cities in USA save 2 or 3 due to polarization of the masses due to corporate conglomeration of the media as to make anything difficult to accomplish if it conflicts with conglomerate corporate agenda. More pronounced in the Midwest and the South.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:02 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,801,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Dallas has a stronger economy but that has nothing to do with if its more progressive or not.Now if you said they were building more LEED buildings then I'd say cool.Atlanta and Houston are among the top 10 cities in the U.S. for LEED building.
Im not talking about economy or LEED building. Im talking about adding amenities at a fast pace for its citizens. We've had the addition of Klyde Warren Park, the expansion of DART, Grow South (the South Dallas Economic development), the Perot Museum, a second farmers market, etc. in the last 18 months. In addition to that there are plans to expand DART further, for a 20 mile wooded bike trail in the forests east of the city, another park modeled after Central Park (albeit quite a bit smaller), further development of South Dallas, etc.

Thats what I meant by my statements. I will stand by them.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:26 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,829,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Im not talking about economy or LEED building. Im talking about adding amenities at a fast pace for its citizens. We've had the addition of Klyde Warren Park, the expansion of DART, Grow South (the South Dallas Economic development), the Perot Museum, a second farmers market, etc. in the last 18 months. In addition to that there are plans to expand DART further, for a 20 mile wooded bike trail in the forests east of the city, another park modeled after Central Park (albeit quite a bit smaller), further development of South Dallas, etc.

Thats what I meant by my statements. I will stand by them.
Still don't se it

Atlanta:

The National Center for Civil and Human Rights and the College Football Hall of Fame are both under construction and open this year

Centennial Olympic Park is getting a retrofit.
New at Centennial Olympic Park | Georgia Globe Design News

The Atlanta Streetcar also is set to open in late summer this year.

Porche North AMerica's new Headquarters and test track is a part of a larger developement called Aeorotropolis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=IDVRcjGmowU

Alliance to promote ?aerotropolis? development - Atlanta Business Chronicle

I have not even mentioned the BeltLine which is the biggest urban project in North America.
Some of the parks like Historic Fourth Ward Park has been built already with several parks in various stages of development.

Location | BOHO4W

Trails // Atlanta BeltLine

Buckhead Atlanta is Atlanta new developement that will be similar to Rodeo Drive.A mini version of Atlantic Station but for hugh end retailers and residents.

BuckheadView: Streets of Buckhead renamed Buckhead Atlanta and will get a new look, OliverMcMillan announces

Other things going on is the Piedmont Park Expansion.
City has allocated $2million dollars in additional bike lanes and infrastructure.Bike riding has increased in Atlanta 400% in this last decade.

All of these are quality of life projects that are making Atlanta more urban.

Atlanta was just after New Orleans where the city core grew faster than its suburbs.Dallas had a higher growth in it suburbs which is the case for most major cities in the U.S. except a handful like Atlanta and other cities center cores that grew the most.

Urban vs. Suburban Growth in U.S. Metros - Nate Berg - The Atlantic Cities

Im not saying Dallas is not doing big positive things but you insistence that its doing more than Atlanta is just not true.
Dallas probably has more building construction since is economy is booming but you said that is not what you meant.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:24 AM

16,512 posts, read 26,394,575 times
Uh oh Dallas and Atlanta.. thread over.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:33 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,829,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No that is usually Atlanta and Houston.Dallas is more similar to Atlanta in my opinion.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,801,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Nah, he made his point and I made mine. Im willing to let it stand at that if he is. Its the Houston vs. Atlanta threads that get out of hand. The Dallas vs. Atlanta threads tend to be more civil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No that is usually Atlanta and Houston.Dallas is more similar to Atlanta in my opinion.
Agreed. I see Dallas (in many regards) as a Great Plains version of Atlanta. Or you could say Atlanta is a Southeastern version of Atlanta in many ways. They have differences (history, demographics, etc.), but they are both really cool cities in my opinion.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:42 AM

215 posts, read 379,979 times
New Orleans is not progressive either - another city in disarray.....

Old 01-30-2014, 11:49 AM

16,512 posts, read 26,394,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lunatic & A Therapist View Post
New Orleans is not progressive either - another city in disarray.....
I know right. It's like they think the fastest growing city is progressive. I'm glad I live in the Bay where we look down on people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City