Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 04:45 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The Loop is the bigger business district than Lower Manhattan (at least using Canal St as the border). While the Loop is a bit of a 9-5 office district, there's still some stuff going on off hours. The Financial District is far more dead off hours. If you're talking about Lower Manhattan as a whole, than Lower Manhattan is the more vibrant one.

I still give an edge to Lower Manhattan as I find the narrow streets and claustrophobic skyscraper canyon neat (and unique). For example the Loop has nothing similar to this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=nassa...77.51,,0,-3.74
hell yea i never drive their.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
The Loop also has the canyon effect but what makes it unique from Manhattan's downtown is hearing the EL trains roaring along the tracks above the streets while seeing the flashes of random electric sparks. The view of the Loop from the trains above the streets just seem more scenic.

Loop, Chicago, IL - Google Maps

The Loop also has some narrow street lanes beneath parts of the EL tracks. There are also narrow alleys between the buildings.

Loop, Chicago, IL - Google Maps

As for Midtown, you could combine the Loop, downtown Boston, downtown Philly and Manhattan's Downtown together and it would still be bigger. Midtown is basically the city of cities. Hong Kong or Sao Paulo are probably the only cities in the world that could give Midtown a run for it's money.
o yea but nyc cant do that with its trains. i noticed the el lines are much more independent then nyc subways.

if nyc subways were elevated in manhattan it would lines and lines next to eachother and on top of eachother.

it would be a huge annoying loud mess.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
o yea but nyc cant do that with its trains. i noticed the el lines are much more independent then nyc subways.

if nyc subways were elevated in manhattan it would lines and lines next to eachother and on top of eachother.

it would be a huge annoying loud mess.
Manhattan had elevated lines up till the 50s.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Manhattan had elevated lines up till the 50s.
i know but the 1950s nyc wasnt as developed as now, and thank god they threw them all away.

i like how the tunnels are mostly in the city, and the elevated lines are mostly located on the outer boroughs.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:15 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
i know but the 1950s nyc wasnt as developed as now, and thank god they threw them all away.

i like how the tunnels are mostly in the city, and the elevated lines are mostly located on the outer boroughs.
Manhattan had more people in the 50s than today (peak was in 1910); there were fewer taller buildings but everything had been built up. Elevated trains going through Manhattan would be annoying, but they would give some cool views. I like Chicago's El going through the Loop. Chicago's street are a little wider, but some Manhattan avenues are wide enough. I loved the views out of the elevated outer borough trains, too.

THIRD AVENUE EL - "The Vanishing El" - New York City's last "El" trains. - YouTube

Lower Manhattan at 7:40

Old 08-19-2012, 05:18 PM

50 posts, read 88,565 times
The elevated line still on the western shores of Manhattan will be gone by the next 10 years when Hudson yards starts developing.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 AM

300 posts, read 524,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notramick View Post
The elevated line still on the western shores of Manhattan will be gone by the next 10 years when Hudson yards starts developing.
There are no elevated rail lines anywhere near Hudson Yards. Are you talking about the High Line Park?

There are two small stretches of elevated rail in far northern Manhattan, though. Both along the "1" subway line.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:04 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
If we want to talk elevation, Manhattan has an air tram to Roosevelt Island.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:16 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
Speaking in terms of office space ^^^^^

In terms of geographic area?

59th street down to 34th, to both rivers, is actually comparable to all of DT Chicago.

NYC just simply has more office space in roughly the same area.
yeah maybe just office space, manhattan in general dwarfs chicago downtown though and there is much more residential buildings not "counted" as office space in there. I would also say river to river Manhattan is wider than Chicago's DT and contains 60% of Chicago's entire population in 22 square miles. The daytime population is over a million more than Chicago's entire population as well, so the buildings obviously have to be there to accomplish this.

Last edited by grapico; 08-21-2012 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-21-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
yeah maybe just office space, manhattan in general dwarfs chicago downtown though and there is much more residential buildings not "counted" as office space in there. I would also say river to river Manhattan is wider than Chicago's DT and contains 60% of Chicago's entire population in 22 square miles.
Office space is compared here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/21839029-post1.html

Midtown South is probably between 14th (or maybe 4th?) and 34th streets, which proportionally more retail and residences and less office, but still high compared to other American cities. Manhattan particularly stands out in job density:

Employment Density in International Central Business Districts

numbers are 20 years old, but except for very new places the patterns should be about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City