Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst Climate
Chicago 12 4.27%
Boston 4 1.42%
Minneapolis 53 18.86%
Seattle 17 6.05%
Miami 27 9.61%
Houston 83 29.54%
Buffalo 78 27.76%
Denver 7 2.49%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 11:05 AM

1,076 posts, read 596,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Worst climate with largest population growth. Houston wins…. Hmmm

Perhaps climate is overrated or people only take into account the extremes? (Voters of this poll, that is)
You’re completely right a lot of people don’t care about weather, or places like Moscow Russia or Sahara desert wouldn’t have had people living there.

When Houston weather is good it’s glorious and beautiful. If I don’t have a child who grew up in sunny Los Angeles, who unfortunately started to have allergy after summer 2023 (including my chubby kitty son who’s been having Benadryl shot by the vet for about 4 times now since late 2023.) and who (and I together) could easily get affected by S.A.D.-I would be living here still, like, totally.

Houston is a cool city, i spent this morning on the phone with a few Houston real estate agents and the one in South Florida: hands down, Houston agents are so professional, prompt and precise. I think my Florida agent is either still sleeping or on the beach, which drives the inner New Yorker in me bananas.

Cool cities can have %^#*% weathers, you have to admit Texas weather really is not everyone’s cup of tea. (hats off to anyone who isn’t affected by weather, TX creates a good life for a lot of people which I truly think is a wonderful thing.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2024, 11:18 AM

1,753 posts, read 1,047,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung baby View Post
You’re completely right a lot of people don’t care about weather, or places like Moscow Russia or Sahara desert wouldn’t have had people living there.

When Houston weather is good it’s glorious and beautiful. If I don’t have a child who grew up in sunny Los Angeles, who unfortunately started to have allergy after summer 2023 (including my chubby kitty son who’s been having Benadryl shot by the vet for about 4 times now since late 2023.) and who (and I together) could easily get affected by S.A.D.-I would be living here still, like, totally.

Houston is a cool city, i spent this morning on the phone with a few Houston real estate agents and the one in South Florida: hands down, Houston agents are so professional, prompt and precise. I think my Florida agent is either still sleeping or on the beach, which drives the inner New Yorker in me bananas.

Cool cities can have %^#*% weathers, you have to admit Texas weather really is not everyone’s cup of tea. (hats off to anyone who isn’t affected by weather, TX creates a good life for a lot of people which I truly think is a wonderful thing.)
Don’t get me lying but I remember hearing people say it takes 7 years to become immune to the allergens in Houston! I admit Houston weather is not for everyone. I’m a native local and I have to use Flonase when I travel to the Hill Country.

Oh, and I get nose bleeds when traveling to Arizona and California! I still love their weather though…nothing a little saline mist won’t take care of!

Old 05-13-2024, 02:43 PM

981 posts, read 736,300 times
Two things are true for me:
1. The poll is biased against Houston, to the point of many others, because there are no other oppressive hot cities on the list - New Orleans, Corpus, Dallas, Somewhere in MS, etc. The northern cities are indeed 'splitting the vote'
2. Houston still has the worst climate in the US

But seriously, I clicked on the link and said to myself "I'm gonna vote Houston" before I even saw the list, and then I did. It really is truly oppressive in the summer. New Orleans would give it a run for its money though.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:53 PM

285 posts, read 130,522 times
Default Buffalo, Minneapolis

I rest assure you that Minneapolis and Buffalo have a worse climate than Houston. Probably Chicago too. Houston is only harsh from June to September. Late September can be nice too. The rest of the year is good.

Old 05-13-2024, 05:01 PM

7,445 posts, read 6,607,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
I rest assure you that Minneapolis and Buffalo have a worse climate than Houston. Probably Chicago too. Houston is only harsh from June to September. Late September can be nice too. The rest of the year is good.
Chicago can be harsh from December 1 - early/mid March; rest of the year is fine......take your pick, cold vs. heat.

Old 05-13-2024, 05:17 PM

285 posts, read 130,522 times
Default Chicago

Your telling me that Chicago is fine in November and even October? What do you consider fine? Going around in a Parka? It's jacket weather there from at least October to April. I consider Jacket weather anything from the 50's and below. April for sure is jacket weather. Shoot April and October In Chicago are both colder than the middle of January in houston. I can even remember late September and even May being jacket weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Chicago can be harsh from December 1 - early/mid March; rest of the year is fine......take your pick, cold vs. heat.

Last edited by Texas100; 05-13-2024 at 05:25 PM..

Old 05-13-2024, 05:49 PM

7,445 posts, read 6,607,588 times
Quote:
Your telling me that Chicago is fine in November and even October? What do you consider fine? Going around in a Parka? It's jacket weather there from at least October to April. I consider Jacket weather anything from the 50's and below. April for sure is jacket weather. Shoot April and October In Chicago are both colder than the middle of January in houston. I can even remember late September and even May being jacket weather.
Absolutely…have you been? I know I have—traveled there for years on business from San Diego. Is it beach weather or warm year round?—no…is it the Arctic circle in April, October and November?…no. Oh, the horror of having to wear a jacket. December 1 - early/mid March I concede; it can and does get very cold.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-13-2024 at 06:00 PM..

Old 05-13-2024, 07:47 PM

651 posts, read 357,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Absolutely…have you been? I know I have—traveled there for years on business from San Diego. Is it beach weather or warm year round?—no…is it the Arctic circle in April, October and November?…no. Oh, the horror of having to wear a jacket. December 1 - early/mid March I concede; it can and does get very cold.
Totally agree. Chicago is not bad at all from April through October. The shoulder seasons are pleasant and the summers are fairly hot and humid. The winters can get cold at times but Chicago doesn’t really get a ton of snow compared to some places. Definitely more tolerable than Houston or Miami.

The weather is much more balanced.

Old 05-13-2024, 07:57 PM

13,730 posts, read 8,030,405 times
Chicago gets very hot. I was there in July 2022 and it was hotter and more uncomfortable than it was back home in AL. Of course I realize that northern heat waves are inconsistent, while the South stays consistently hot.

Old 05-13-2024, 08:14 PM

981 posts, read 736,300 times
Quote:
Can confirm it’s great. I was there this past October and the weather was absolutely gorgeous. Just beautiful fall weather - mid to upper 60’s during the day, dropping into the 50’s at night. And after a long hot summer, that’s perfect to me. And I was there for a football game, so it all fit. But I understand that weather is a highly personal thing so that may not be to everyone’s taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City