Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: unique?
Montreal 63 47.01%
New Orleans 71 52.99%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:37 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
There's no racial tension in the city.
I'm pretty sure he's referring to the longstanding sharp racial divide that has particularly characterized historic Southern port cities (e.g., Charleston, Savannah, maybe Mobile, etc.). There seems to be a more visible and palpable sense of the division between the haves (descendants of the White aristocracy) and the have-nots (descendants of slaves) in these type of cities.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:41 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Never, ever? It's probably more open-minded than most cities in the South, but I don't think it's immune to racism altogether.

But, we're ok with the rest of my list, no?

Well if you want to go back in history, then just about every city had lots of racial tension. But in the New Orleans of today there is not that much racial tension (except for the occasional politician).

I will also say that the rest of your post is ok. A lot of it is kind of stereotypical New Orleans but good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm pretty sure he's referring to the longstanding sharp racial divide that has particularly characterized historic Southern port cities (e.g., Charleston, Savannah, maybe Mobile, etc.). There seems to be a more visible and palpable sense of the division between the haves (descendants of the White aristocracy) and the have-nots (descendants of slaves) in these type of cities.
I doubt that was what he was talking about. Did New Orleans really have a "longstanding sharp racial divide" that was that different than most cities (besides the ones you listed)? New Orleans had a ton of poor whites as well. Plus the city has the history of the free people of color who were educated and middle class and some even built large houses in the French Quarter. Also there is the Creole population that often has mixed black and white ancestry and balls (dances) were even held to encourage this.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 09-15-2012 at 11:22 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 10:46 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
Quote:
New Orleans has a very complicated history when it comes to race. The current mayor is white and won all but one precinct in the city(out of 400 plus) and has an 88 percent approval rating last time I heard. The last mayor was black and was widely reviled across class and racial lines. In colonial times free men of color could sue white citizens on an equal footing. This is just a snippet of what the city is like.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-16-2012, 09:11 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Others posters have said what I wanted to. Haves and have-nots live next door to each other and talk every morning on the streetcar on the way to work in the morning. It's not a typical southern city in that aspect.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:43 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
It's that kind of contrast that separates New Orleans from cities like Montreal, Detroit and St Louis. (other cities also settled by the French) It's what makes New Orleans "New Orleans".

What is French at ALL about Detroit or St. Louis? And while New Orleans has a nice unique blend of cultural influences, it's predominately a Creole cultural city while Montreal is the most French by far and away out of that group.

Just going on food, New Orleans is more similar to the rest of the Caribbean (particularly Haiti) whereas Montreal is most similar to other french cities.

I don't even to know where to begin for St. Louis or Detroit. St. Louis may have some similarities to Memphis and Detroit, eh, has no recognizable regional cuisine.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
I don't understand the constant comparisons between the two.

New Orleans is a unique and fascinating city, but there isn't really much that is French about it. Not its language, not its inhabitants (for the most part), not its architecture, not its music.

Some people seem to be under the mistaken impression that the uniqueness of New Orleans is due to some type of "Frenchness", but this is a false impression.

What makes New Orleans what it is, is New Orleans. Not French.

If anything, the most French place in the United States is probably Madawaska in northern Maine!

Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post

What is French at ALL about Detroit or St. Louis? And while New Orleans has a nice unique blend of cultural influences, it's predominately a Creole cultural city while Montreal is the most French by far and away out of that group.

Just going on food, New Orleans is more similar to the rest of the Caribbean (particularly Haiti) whereas Montreal is most similar to other french cities.

I don't even to know where to begin for St. Louis or Detroit. St. Louis may have some similarities to Memphis and Detroit, eh, has no recognizable regional cuisine.
If you read my post properly I only mentioned that Montreal, Detroit and St Louis were settled by the French which is fact. I didn't specify to what degree of French culture exists in St Louis or Detroit.

Montreal, Detroit and St Louis. (other cities also settled by the French) What part of "settled by the French" do you not understand?

Old 09-17-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't understand the constant comparisons between the two.

New Orleans is a unique and fascinating city, but there isn't really much that is French about it. Not its language, not its inhabitants (for the most part), not its architecture, not its music.

Some people seem to be under the mistaken impression that the uniqueness of New Orleans is due to some type of "Frenchness", but this is a false impression.

What makes New Orleans what it is, is New Orleans. Not French.

If anything, the most French place in the United States is probably Madawaska in northern Maine!
There are done natives who still speak French and many street names are labeled rue, instead of street.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:07 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
If you read my post properly I only mentioned that Montreal, Detroit and St Louis were settled by the French which is fact. I didn't specify to what degree of French culture exists in St Louis or Detroit.

Montreal, Detroit and St Louis. (other cities also settled by the French) What part of "settled by the French" do you not understand?
You grouped together Montreal, Detroit, and St. Louis. Possibly the weirdest grouping ever on CD when discussing culture.

But you're wrong anyway. Using Detroit and St. Louis as a backdrop, Montreal sticks out far more than New Orleans. If for the only reason, the main language is French in Montreal and english in those other 3 cities. It's only when you include other NA cities (like Quebec) that this becomes an actual argument.

BTW, Mobile Alabama was also founded by the French. Mobile is the birth place of Mardi Gras (Not NOLA). Mobile also has a cultural mix of French, Spanish, Creole etc. It also has some similar architecture but on a much smaller scale. In my opinion, Mobile is NOLA's Quebec.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
You grouped together Montreal, Detroit, and St. Louis. Possibly the weirdest grouping ever on CD when discussing culture.

But you're wrong anyway. Using Detroit and St. Louis as a backdrop, Montreal sticks out far more than New Orleans. If for the only reason, the main language is French in Montreal and english in those other 3 cities. It's only when you include other NA cities (like Quebec) that this becomes an actual argument.

BTW, Mobile Alabama was also founded by the French. Mobile is the birth place of Mardi Gras (Not NOLA). Mobile also has a cultural mix of French, Spanish, Creole etc. It also has some similar architecture but on a much smaller scale. In my opinion, Mobile is NOLA's Quebec.
It seems you've blown this way out of proportion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City