Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better sports town?
Chicago 45 38.14%
Boston 38 32.20%
Philadelphia 35 29.66%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:27 PM

318 posts, read 467,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
Obviously you arent a sports fan but I honestly don't think ive ever heard someone try to make the arguement your making. Its easy to be a front runner like you, but its tougher and builds more character when fans have to "struggle" through years of poor performance, it makes victory all the more sweeter. When your passionate about something you love it unconditionally, good or bad. Your promoting apathy over passion.

As stated earlier I think Philly, Boston, Chicago, and NYC are all top tier cities as far as the best sports towns. Obiviously from my username I am from the Philly area and i voted Philly. New York has so much else going on, and so many transplants, that sports dont neccessarily come first. Chicago and Boston (and NYC for that matter) have had much more success, especially in recent history, that I dont think fans have really ever had to "suffer" (going decades and decades without championships in any sport) like we have here in Philly which is a true test.

Great post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 01:32 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,991,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
So why now is Philadelphia not a top sports city? Because the almighty god of City-Data "Scrantix" says so?
As flattering as your statement is summers, I'm going to have to pass on the title. I'm no where close to one of your own kin from Philly on how many posts I have. You should tell mr. 15000 posts and world travelers that's apparently seen every city you could name that he has no competition for this title.
Quote:
So tell me why championships matter so much? Philadelphia doesn't win much at all, we are usually a city of underdogs... yet we are diehard fans.
Championships are the substance a city's sports team produces. It justifies that your fans are rooting for something with credibility.

Do you think Buffalo and Cleveland are as great a sports city as Philly? They have passionate fans, fans that rip and burn jerseys when their players walk, even though they're much less successful at title runs than Philly.

So are they your equals?

Old 10-16-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
Obviously you arent a sports fan but I honestly don't think ive ever heard someone try to make the arguement your making.
Good post, I don't agree with any of it but good post.

Why act so surprised that someone has this argument? Most fans in the real world are like me, you die hards call us a slew of names, fickle fans, fair weather fans, bandwagon fans, etc. Don't confuse this forum for real life, this forum has more die hards rooting for teams with no chances than you see in actual life. I for one take a lot of pride in being a bandwagon fan and I don't find it as a derogatory or negative at all, I don't take sports that passionately and don't understand why someone would, it's a sports team for gods sakes. It's not the bible but again what am I saying? I don't believe in religion either.

Like most folks, I side with winners that can substantiate their hype.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:57 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Good post, I don't agree with any of it but good post.

Why act so surprised that someone has this argument? Most fans in the real world are like me, you die hards call us a slew of names, fickle fans, fair weather fans, bandwagon fans, etc. Don't confuse this forum for real life, this forum has more die hards rooting for teams with no chances than you see in actual life. I for one take a lot of pride in being a bandwagon fan and I don't find it as a derogatory or negative at all, I don't take sports that passionately and don't understand why someone would, it's a sports team for gods sakes. It's not the bible but again what am I saying? I don't believe in religion either.

Like most folks, I side with winners that can substantiate their hype.
You're confusing "cheerleaders" with actual sports "fans". People who aren't into sports in anyway aside for being a cheerleader of whoever is winning really should stay out of conversations that involve sports. Not sure why you're talking about sports fans and their culture when you're not actually one at all.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:01 PM

So according to scrantiX, the only two cities worth having franchises are NYC and Boston, meaning all other cities might as well fold their teams.

Only 4 champions each year between (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) out of 122 teams.

118 fanbases are "invalidated."

Makes perfect sense.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:02 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,465,438 times
The one thing that hurts Philly in being a better sports town is that no one supports or cares about the 76ers. At least people in Chicago and Boston still came out after the Jordan and Bird eras.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:03 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,505,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You're confusing "cheerleaders" with actual sports "fans". People who aren't into sports in anyway aside for being a cheerleader of whoever is winning really should stay out of conversations that involve sports. Not sure why you're talking about sports fans and their culture when you're not actually one at all.
This.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:03 PM

Keep in mind, that first tier fanbase/team couldnt sell out the first two games of the ALCS.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not sure why you're talking about sports fans and their culture when you're not actually one at all.
I watch the Giants, 49ers, Warrior, and Sharks. My mouth just doesn't foam up at the mention of sports.

kthnx

Old 10-16-2012, 02:10 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I watch the Giants, 49ers, Warrior, and Sharks. My mouth just doesn't foam up at the mention of sports.

kthnx
You also proudly claimed before to root for every single sports team in CA. That's a cheerleader, not a sports fan.

This thread wasn't about which team has the most championships either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City