Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better sports town?
Chicago 45 38.14%
Boston 38 32.20%
Philadelphia 35 29.66%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2014, 09:19 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,189,022 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 06:47 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Just going by the completely unscientific method of how many random people around the city are wearing local team gear on a given day, I'd say it's probably Philly 1st with Boston 2nd and Chicago 3rd.

And using that same methodology, Pittsburgh would blow the doors off all of them. Sadly, a Roethlisberger or Polamalu jersey around here represents many folks' "Sunday Best" wardrobe.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmadeone View Post
Folks saying Boston dont have a clue.
Again, as a native Bostonian, I can definitively say that you don't have a clue.

The Celtics and Bruins were popular in Boston long before 2008 and 2011 respectively.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:11 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
All great sports towns.

But it's Chicago that comes out on top here.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:37 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Judging of who is the best is tough. However I will try:

Eagles Fans > Bears Fans > Pats Fans, The patriots have had unprecedented success recently but historically don't have the support the Bears and Eagles have had. The Eagles are, IMO, THE team in Philly, if you disagree you will get pelted with snow and ice balls.

Cubs & Red Sox > Phillies. This hurts as a Phillies fan and the recent successes of the Charlie Manuel era, but The Phils have sucked for many a years and attendance dips. However, The Cubs and Red Sox ballparks are destinations and ingrained into the very fabric of baseball. Both are traditionally some of the most packed stadiums in the league year after year.

Celtics > Bulls > Sixers. Again the Sixers are terrible and are often bad with poor attendance. The 90's bulls teams are arguably the most popular teams of all time. However both cannot stand up to the history of the Boston Celtics, and the era's of Russell and Bird. All 3 of these teams have had some of the greatest players of all time and some great teams.

Bruins > Flyers > Blackhawks. All 3 are very popular but IMO this is how it goes. The blackhawks recent surge in popularity is combined with their on ice success.

Fire, Union, Revolution. I have no idea, but I know that the Union have a pretty sweet stadium.
http://www.uwishunu.com/wp-content/u...ark1-680uw.jpg

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 09-10-2014 at 11:25 AM..

Old 09-10-2014, 11:11 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Fire, Union, Revolution. I have no idea, but I know that the Union have a pretty sweet stadium.
http://www.uwishunu.com/wp-content/u...ark1-680uw.jpg
Even though the Philadelphia Union have a nice stadium in Chester, PA. I wish that they played at the sports complex in Philly with the other major league teams.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:25 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Philadelphia's the best, no doubt about it.

If you want to actually see how loyal sports fans are to their city and teams, look at them when their teams are abominable. The fans that show up are legit, I think Philadelphia's near the top in attendance in every sport except NBA.

Sam Hinkie is a genius and his rebuilding through the draft is going to pay immense dividends in the next three years. The Sixers will probably still tank and have a bad record for the foreseeable future but the team is more like a post-draft NCAA college team in terms of youth and talent. Lots of them have already had an impact (Carter-Williams was rookie of the year; monstrous performance his first year, Damian Lillard-esque) and most will continue to grow. Lots of high draft picks, lots of them will turn out being legit cornerstones, Embiid if he can stay healthy will probably be that guy. Noel is also very good too. They should be in the playoffs in just a few seasons with internal development, granted if the Sixers put a good coaching staff and medics on the team payroll as well.

Also worth noting are Chicago Cubs fans. I actually do admire that Chicagoans can still find themselves rooting for a team that last won when the Ottoman Empire still existed on our planet. LOL.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:54 AM

381 posts, read 814,411 times
I just think in Philly, they take sports way, way, way, way , way too seriously. But I'll give them a free pass. I think its a byproduct of being so close to New York. Sports is the great equalizer to such inferiority complexes.

Thats why the most obnoxious sports fans tend to be in traditionally blue collar cities.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:23 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,520,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
I just think in Philly, they take sports way, way, way, way , way too seriously. But I'll give them a free pass. I think its a byproduct of being so close to New York. Sports is the great equalizer to such inferiority complexes.

Thats why the most obnoxious sports fans tend to be in traditionally blue collar cities.
Remember we enjoy the hate in Philly Also it has nothing to do with New York, i.e. Pittsburgh fans are just as passionate and obnoxious. The average Philly fan is just breed that way. We start young, listening to Merrill Reese on sundays, going to a phillies game for your birthday, taking the Broad street line all the way down to the stadium complexes for the first to see the flyers. Getting to the stadium parking lot early on a sunday to get a prime spot, only to realize there is a massive line of cars waiting to get in before you. The first time you get to drink a few beers with just your dad and brother when you are still a teenager. It's more than just a game here. Probably the most understated aspect of it all, is how knowledgeable people are with each sport and all the players. we love sports here and it has nothing to do with your ideas.

Everything and More on Vimeo

enjoy

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 09-11-2014 at 12:32 PM..

Old 09-11-2014, 12:45 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Philadelphia's the best, no doubt about it.

If you want to actually see how loyal sports fans are to their city and teams, look at them when their teams are abominable. The fans that show up are legit, I think Philadelphia's near the top in attendance in every sport except NBA.

Sam Hinkie is a genius and his rebuilding through the draft is going to pay immense dividends in the next three years. The Sixers will probably still tank and have a bad record for the foreseeable future but the team is more like a post-draft NCAA college team in terms of youth and talent. Lots of them have already had an impact (Carter-Williams was rookie of the year; monstrous performance his first year, Damian Lillard-esque) and most will continue to grow. Lots of high draft picks, lots of them will turn out being legit cornerstones, Embiid if he can stay healthy will probably be that guy. Noel is also very good too. They should be in the playoffs in just a few seasons with internal development, granted if the Sixers put a good coaching staff and medics on the team payroll as well.
As a die-hard 76ers fan, we haven't been a championship contender since 2001 but I do think the Sixers now have better management and a great long term plan for success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City