Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better sports town?
Chicago 45 38.14%
Boston 38 32.20%
Philadelphia 35 29.66%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:26 AM

932 posts, read 1,945,749 times

Advertisements

Anyone heard of Bottlegate? Philadelphia fans have never been so hostile as to get their team disqualified from a game. Belligerent fans is not a Philadelphia problem.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 12:38 PM

318 posts, read 467,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
NYC is home of the Yankees, one of the worlds most popular brands. Knicks play at MSG, MSG is a corporation with stocks for one of the most valuable franchises in the world. Giants are one of the most valuable franchises in the NFL. NYC has teams for every sport 2 times, for hockey 3 teams. NYC is the HQ for NBA, MLB, NHL, and NFL.

NYC is a first tier sports city and it has the sports fans too.

You were going by titles in the last decade. Nice to see you switch up your argument though after that didnt hold up.

I know what MSG is buddy, they own my favorite team. Dolan is an ass.

NYC has one hockey team. The Devils and Islanders dont count just because theyre covered by media. As such, their titles DO NOT count for NYC either.

The Knicks? and youre saying the Cubs are bad? Its embarrassing that my team has to share an arena with them. They were virtually non-existent in NY sports for years when Isiah Thomas ran the team.

By your criteria, the Giants are the only thing keeping NYC relevant in the last 10 years with their two Super Bowls.

LA would be a better choice at this point.

Last edited by Ilovehockey85; 10-14-2012 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
I never said anything about the Red Sox. Between your 4 usernames you use here it is clear you don't know as much about Chicago as you like to think you do. Went to 25 cubs games this year, most fans are there to party and have a good time and drink (which is fine) not watch the team on the field.
I went to 8 games this year, and probably 15-20 over the last 10 or so years. Whats your point?

Ive been going to games longer than youve been in Chicago. Those years they were winning the division? Yeah, all for Wrigley.

Congratulations for just going to games when theyre a 100-loss team for the first time in 50 years.

The reason I mentioned Boston? What difference does it make for them? Two titles in the last 94 years. Basically the same situation. Are fans just going for Fenway?

Old 10-14-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
One, there's no jail in the Linc. Two, the jail in the vet was primarily a publicity stunt for Judge McCaffrey.

Also, incidents involving Philly fans get the most publicity, but no one's ever counted all the incidents. It's just the reputation that makes them more notable. Both Broncos fans and Raiders fans have thrown battery-filled chunks of ice at players before, but only the Philadelphia incidents get mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovehockey85 View Post
Ehhhhh.. theres a reason Lincoln Financial and the Vet had jail cells.

Ive gone to Philly games. Im an NY sports fan. I dont need the media to tell me about Philly fans, but where theres smoke, theres fire.

The Flyers have the worst reputation for fans in the NHL. There have been incidents of stabbings for bus trips up to Devils games between them (the fanbase themselves, not Devils/Flyers fans) The Eagles jockey with the Raiders for that in the NFL. I dont have to explain the Eagles. Nobody in Philly cares about the Sixers (maybe now because of Bynum?), and the Phillies? Theyre the ones getting most of the publicity lately for how awful they are, save for the Flyer fan sending a war vet to the hospital after the WC.

Yeah, there are incidents in other cities, but in Philly, its virtually every fanbase, save for the Sixers, although they did cheer Noah's ankle injury.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:03 PM

In Philly it transcends all fanbases. That does not happen in other cities.

Thats the difference.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:24 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,703,262 times
Quote:
Ive gone to Philly games. Im an NY sports fan. I dont need the media to tell me about Philly fans, but where theres smoke, theres fire.

The Flyers have the worst reputation for fans in the NHL. There have been incidents of stabbings for bus trips up to Devils games between them (the fanbase themselves, not Devils/Flyers fans) The Eagles jockey with the Raiders for that in the NFL. I dont have to explain the Eagles. Nobody in Philly cares about the Sixers (maybe now because of Bynum?), and the Phillies? Theyre the ones getting most of the publicity lately for how awful they are, save for the Flyer fan sending a war vet to the hospital after the WC.

Yeah, there are incidents in other cities, but in Philly, its virtually every fanbase, save for the Sixers, although they did cheer Noah's ankle injury.
Ehh... the Phillies fans are tame too. It is only the Eagles and Flyers fans that are ridiculous.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Ehh... the Phillies fans are tame too. It is only the Eagles and Flyers fans that are ridiculous.

Man charged with vomiting on girl at Philadelphia Phillies game - ESPN

Who the hell intentionally vomits on someone? Thats ****ing vile, and unheard of.

Thats a whole new level of sports douchebaggery. I dont wanna say its not capable of happening anywhere else, but its not surprising that its Philly.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,703,262 times
Quote:
Man charged with vomiting on girl at Philadelphia Phillies game - ESPN

Who the hell intentionally vomits on someone? Thats ****ing vile, and unheard of.

Thats a whole new level of sports douchebaggery. I dont wanna say its not capable of happening anywhere else, but its not surprising that its Philly.
Ridiculous belligerent sports fans are everywhere... this is not something unique to Philly and IDK why Philly gets typecast and singled out because of this when practically everyone does it. Of course you get your drunk idiot Phillies fans but 95% of the time they are extremely tame and IDK why pointing out one incident makes the Phillies fans automatically "fcking vile." Flyers and Eagles fans are bad, Sixers and Phillies fans aren't.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Ridiculous belligerent sports fans are everywhere... this is not something unique to Philly and IDK why Philly gets typecast and singled out because of this when practically everyone does it. Of course you get your drunk idiot Phillies fans but 95% of the time they are extremely tame and IDK why pointing out one incident makes the Phillies fans automatically "fcking vile." Flyers and Eagles fans are bad, Sixers and Phillies fans aren't.
Go talk to the players then.

Baseball's worst fans live in Philly, says MLB player survey

Old 10-14-2012, 09:06 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Even though he was bashing Eagles fans, I have to admit I found it very funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City