Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has better food?
Houston 34 30.09%
Chicago 79 69.91%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:06 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
Just before I moved down to Atlanta (and then right after Houston), I was living in Detroit with a Mexican girl. I tried my best to take her to great Mexican spots out in Detroit, but of course she liked none of it (to compound matters, she was from Sinaloa which has some of the best food in mexico). When I left to Atlanta, she visited some friends in Chicago. I remember asking her about the food in Chicago, and her reaction was pretty much identical. Not authentic. Not good.

Who knows really, but besides my own experiences I have met a lot of people say the same about Chicago Mexican food.
What you have to keep in mind is that Chicago is highly segregated. This means that good Mexican (or any type of ethnic food) is going to be concentrated in a few areas, not widespread throughout the city. If you spent time eating in Pilsen off of 18th or anywhere on the near west side, I doubt you would hold the opinion that Mexican food in Chicago is subpar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 08:16 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I've lived in both cities, know them both like the back of my hand (besides the Westside & most of the Southside of Chicago). I'll have a post in an hour or maybe two about them but for now I just got back home from a trip and need to chillax. Extensively.
Oh good. Whew!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:17 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
What you have to keep in mind is that Chicago is highly segregated. This means that good Mexican (or any type of ethnic food) is going to be concentrated in a few areas, not widespread throughout the city. If you spent time eating in Pilsen off of 18th or anywhere on the near west side, I doubt you would hold the opinion that Mexican food in Chicago is subpar.
I'm willing to be open to the fact I missed the good spots. As to her, she stayed with her (Mexican) friends. It'd be strange if they didn't know where to take her.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:25 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Just before I moved down to Atlanta (and then right after Houston), I was living in Detroit with a Mexican girl. I tried my best to take her to great Mexican spots out in Detroit, but of course she liked none of it (to compound matters, she was from Sinaloa which has some of the best food in mexico). When I left to Atlanta, she visited some friends in Chicago. I remember asking her about the food in Chicago, and her reaction was pretty much identical. Not authentic. Not good.

Who knows really, but besides my own experiences I have met a lot of people say the same about Chicago Mexican food.
You do know that Mexicans eat at Taco Bell, right?

Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You do know that Mexicans eat at Taco Bell, right?
Yea

Old 10-21-2012, 08:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
I don't know about Houston dining but from your post you are clearly ignorant about ethnic food in Chicago. Chinese like Panda Express? Where the heck were you eating Chinese?

Just glancing at a menu of one of my fave chinese places in Chicago...

106. Sour Pickle With Ground Pork * served cold. 5.45
107. Dry Beef Szechuan Style ** served cold. 6.45
108. Five Powder Beef served cold. 5.45
109. Spicy Beef Tendon * served cold. 6.45
110. Szechuan Spicy Rabbit * with bone. served cold. 6.45
112. Spicy Sour Squid * served cold. 5.45
113. Ginger Calamari served cold. 5.45
114. Jelly Fish Shanghai Style served cold. 6.45
115. Vegetarian Chicken Shanghai Style served cold. 5.45
116. Szechuan Pickle * served cold. 5.45
117. Spinach With Ginger Sauce served cold. 5.45
118. Dry Bean Curd With Crisp Peanut In Spicy Sauce * served cold. 5.45
119. Three Colours Home Style ** served cold. 5.45
120. Spicy Cabbage Szechuan Style * served cold. 3.95

311. West Lake Beef Soup 6.45
312. Pan Fried Eggs with tomato soup 5.45
313. Sour Pickle & Squid Soup 6.95
314. Sour Pickle & Sole Fish Fillet Soup 6.95
315. Sour Pickle & Lamb Soup

Pig Ear Szechuan Style * 5.45
A03. Pork Stomach In Garlic Sauce * 5.45
A04. House Special Spicy Kidneys * 5.45
A07. Sour Pickle & Pork Stomach Soup 5.95
A08. Sour Pickle & Pork Kidney Soup 5.95
A09. Pork Blood Cakes Hot & Sour Soup * 6.95
A10. Diced Whole Fish Casserole Soup 18.95
A11. Steamed Pork With Sweet Pickle fat. 10.95
A12. Stew Pork With Sour Pickle * fat. 10.95
A13. Stir-Fried Beef Maw * 10.95
A14. Pork Stomach Home Style

How is that anything like Panda Express?

And yes, I routinely eat meals that are over 10 dollars lol, and to discount michelin starred restaurants seems kind of odd. Are you still in college or something?

Old 10-21-2012, 08:34 PM

When I said panda express, I meant heavily fried and battered. From a quick glance at the menu it looks like at least the stuff ain't heavily fried or battered but I will have to eat there to find out. The name?

Old 10-21-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
When I said panda express, I meant heavily fried and battered. From a quick glance at the menu it looks like at least the stuff ain't heavily fried or battered but I will have to eat there to find out. The name?
That is from Lao Sze Chuan, but you could basically go anywhere in Chinatown or up around Argyle or Albany Park and it will be authentic. If you are eating in downtown and majority white hoods like lincoln park or lakeview it will most likely be terrible, same goes for mexican or most any ethnic food in chicago outside greek/italian/german/bistros which are usually done well in those type areas.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That is from Lao Sze Chuan, but you could basically go anywhere in Chinatown or up around Argyle or Albany Park and it will be authentic. If you are eating in downtown and majority white hoods like lincoln park or lakeview it will most likely be terrible, same goes for mexican or most any ethnic food in chicago outside greek/italian/german/bistros which are usually done well in those type areas.
It looks great (from the website) but it's a sit-down place. Most main items range from 10-20$ (the appetizers are 5-10). So it's not exactly what I meant by hole in the wall. It's also the premiere chinese place in Chicago, so next time I'll definitely give them a try.

Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
It looks great (from the website) but it's a sit-down place. Most main items range from 10-20$ (the appetizers are 5-10). So it's not exactly what I meant by hole in the wall. It's also the premiere chinese place in Chicago, so next time I'll definitely give them a try.
I don't know about premiere chinese place, maybe top 10. Chicago doesn't have the "true" hole in the wall Chinese scene like sf or nyc, it does have some good chinese though. I think Chinese food in those cities are more part of the general culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City