Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has better food?
Houston 34 30.09%
Chicago 79 69.91%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 09:43 PM

289 posts, read 396,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
And in a town as large and varied as Chicago I don't think anybody knows everything that's going on with food, especially with North Side opinion makers who don't have a clue what's happening on the West and South Sides. Oh, they make a little trip down to Pilsen and Chinatown once in awhile to maintain a little credibility. But they're usually not familiar with the Illinois Bar and Grill, Mabenka's, Klas, Grand Dukes and the Mexico Steak House.
Please, don't tell everyone about Tina's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
LOL Chicaguans claiming to have good BBQ now
If you haven't slopped up sauce with white bread after eating a bucket of tips you'll never understand what Chicago is capable of.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
LOL Chicaguans claiming to have good BBQ now
This from a guy in that bastion of down home, regular guy cooking, San Francisco. Next you'll tell me about all the Bluesmen who came up to San Francisco from Mississippi, Louisiana and west Tennessee on the IC. But seriously, Chicago was a magnet for southerners looking for work and I suppose good southern cooking might be as common here as in any northern city.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:10 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
Please, don't tell everyone about Tina's.
Well how about Weber's bakery?

Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Well how about Weber's bakery?
That cat seems pretty far out of the bag and I'm not much into donuts.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:18 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
This from a guy in that bastion of down home, regular guy cooking, San Francisco. Next you'll tell me about all the Bluesmen who came up to San Francisco from Mississippi, Louisiana and west Tennessee on the IC. But seriously, Chicago was a magnet for southerners looking for work and I suppose good southern cooking might be as common here as in any northern city.
Well, from what I've observed, Midwestern cities have even closer cultural ties to the south than other northern cities. I have no doubt that Chicago BBQ is much more superior to what you'd find in New York or Philly.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Austin does beef BBQ better than Houston. That's all.

And have you ever been to San Antonio? Authentic Mexican is not more easy to find there, and they're overwhelmingly Tex-Mex, just like Houston.
I would agree with Austin itself. Lockhart? (Suburb of Austin) Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy different story.

Have you been to Blacks? If not, go there as soon as freakin' possible. If you're a spicy food type like me, as in drenched with very spicy hot sauce (they make themselves) it's fantastic. Chicken, turkey, beef, whatever, just name it and it's done. Delicious.

I haven't found a place yet anywhere, I mean anywhere that beats Blacks. Ohh and if you're not a fan of driving 160 miles for barbeque. They deliver, to Houston.

The other places in Lockhart are pretty damn good too but Blacks kills them all.

Yes I've been to San Antonio more times than I can count. Finding authentic Mexican is easy in Bandera, New Braunfels, & just west of The Rim.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:28 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
I enjoy Houston's food scene, it's quite diverse and most places I've been to make pretty good food.
Can't speak for Chicago however.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:43 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I would agree with Austin itself. Lockhart? (Suburb of Austin) Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy different story.

Have you been to Blacks? If not, go there as soon as freakin' possible. If you're a spicy food type like me, as in drenched with very spicy hot sauce (they make themselves) it's fantastic. Chicken, turkey, beef, whatever, just name it and it's done. Delicious.

I haven't found a place yet anywhere, I mean anywhere that beats Blacks. Ohh and if you're not a fan of driving 160 miles for barbeque. They deliver, to Houston.

The other places in Lockhart are pretty damn good too but Blacks kills them all.
Yes, I've heard of them, but I doubt that they or anyone like them would suit my needs. I'm a pork man first and foremost. Looking at their menu, they obviously specialize in beef. I'm not sure they'd do pork just as well. Their poultry might be worth trying.

Quote:
Yes I've been to San Antonio more times than I can count. Finding authentic Mexican is easy in Bandera, New Braunfels, & just west of The Rim.
Not significantly easier than in Houston. That's my point. San Antonians will tell you their scene is overwhelmingly Tex-Mex.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:48 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Yes, I've heard of them, but I doubt that they or anyone like them would suit my needs. I'm a pork man first and foremost. Looking at their menu, they obviously specialize in beef. I'm not sure they'd do pork just as well. Their poultry might be worth trying.
Poultry is fantastic there.

I forget the name of the place across the street from them, that was the one I originally walked into with my cousin but we left after seeing only beef & pork on their menu. My cousin only eats chicken & I eat everything, so that was no bueno for him thus we ended up at Blacks. The one across the street from Blacks though is a fierce rival & just as successful. If you're ever in Lockhart, check it out.
Quote:
Not significantly easier than in Houston. That's my point. San Antonians will tell you their scene is overwhelmingly Tex-Mex.
Ehhh true. In the city itself it's not, San Antonio is completely overrun with Tex-Mex. All major cities except El Paso are but the suburbs to the north of San Antonio have more authentic Mexican food. I haven't found this dynamic in Houston yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City