Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:32 PM

886 posts, read 1,566,022 times

Advertisements

Which city is the more prominent "cultural exporter" to the rest of the world?
For what reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 02:40 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,927,524 times
I'd say Los Angeles. I think the most direct exports, if you will, are Music, Movies, and Television. The majority (or at least plurality) of these things are written and produced in L.A.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:43 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,982,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
I'd say Los Angeles. I think the most direct exports, if you will, are Music, Movies, and Television. The majority (or at least plurality) of these things are written and produced in L.A.

Might be my first instinct too

But what about fashion, literature, advertising/marketing

Old 10-23-2012, 02:48 PM

886 posts, read 1,566,022 times
Quote:
It's 2012 and I think calling LA a cultural exporter for the US is misleading. NYC is just as popular in Hollywood at this point that includes both film and television. It's also a much more influential player on the worlds fashion and tourism.

What others around the world see is NYC the city and how we live our life in the big city. Not to mention 47% of Hollywood's studios are based in NYC compared to 18% for LA, they only have Disney.

kidphilly brings up a legitimate point about literature. Publishers for American literature have their largest concentration here. Then there is also the news, media, and stock markets.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Might be my first instinct too

But what about fashion, literature, advertising/marketing
I thought about those. My logic was that who knows how many people read American books overseas anyways? I have no idea. As for fashion, New York is big there but I think L.A. is also big. New York may have a monopoly on high fashion (the stuff of catwalks), but I think more popular clothing that your average foreigner would be shopping for is more of a toss up, especially considering that this very clothing could have become popular through films or tv shows made in L.A. As for marketing, that's a pretty NYC-dominated field, but I don't give it as much weight as Music, tv, and movies.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:55 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,879,872 times
I'd say a tie - New York excels in some things and Los Angeles excels in others. The key difference between them and the rest of the cities in the US is that for the most part they also are pretty strong in the places the other excels in.

I would agree Hollywood (as an entity/industry) has lost some influence and is more scattered throughout the US - though Los Angeles is still the headquarters and where most of the action takes place. It is phenomenal how many commercials are shot in this city - I never realized it until I started to recognize places. Pretty much every American with a television has seen a whole lot more of the city of Los Angeles then they would ever imagine.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:56 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,903,332 times
LA's cultural influence is more obvious. You see it on the big and little screens.

New York's influence is more subtle and pervasive. A thousand little things we are exposed to every day. The way people think, dress, etc is more influenced by NY.

IMO New York makes way more trends. LA then lights up, packages, and films those trends for the world to see. So NY makes the culture and LA exports it.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
LA's cultural influence is more obvious. You see it on the big and little screens.

New York's influence is more subtle and pervasive. A thousand little things we are exposed to every day. The way people think, dress, etc is more influenced by NY.

IMO New York makes way more trends. LA then lights up, packages, and films those trends for the world to see. So NY makes the culture and LA exports it.
This makes a whole lot of sense to me.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
It' 2012 and I think calling LA a cultural exporter for the US is misleading. NYC is just as popular in Hollywood at this point that includes both film and television. It's also a much more influential player on the worlds fashion and tourism.

What others around the world see is NYC the city and how we live our life in the big city. Not to mention 47% of Hollywood's studios are based in NYC compared to 18 for LA, they only have Disney.

kidphilly brings up a legitimate point about literature. Publishers for American literature have their largest concentration here. Then there is also the news, media, and stock markets.
Well first of all nothing you said supports your position that "calling LA a cultural exporter is misleading". Second, regarding your studio statistics, I'm really not interested in where the CEO's live, because the creative talent and infrastructure, like writers, producers, performers, studios, etc. are more often based out of L.A. Even if half of Bay Area high-tech firms were owned by NYC conglomerates I still wouldn't call NYC the "leading tech city" because the computer scientists, engineers, and tech infrastructure are still going to be located in Silicon Valley, it's the same concept.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Well first of all nothing you said supports your position that "calling LA a cultural exporter is misleading". Second, regarding your studio statistics, I'm really not interested in where the CEO's live, because the creative talent and infrastructure, like writers, producers, performers, studios, etc. are more often based out of L.A. Even if half of Bay Area high-tech firms were owned by NYC conglomerates I still wouldn't call NYC the "leading tech city" because the computer scientists, engineers, and tech infrastructure are still going to be located in Silicon Valley, it's the same concept.
Cue the arguments that "NYC is a leading tech center!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City