Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 10:48 AM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Let's not start this one up again. https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...rly-hills.html

Granted it's just a forum poll but it's clear. Mansions could be found and built anywhere that's why they're not unique to a specific location. Google the Hampton's or some other town and you'll see plenty of mansions. However Brownstones and specifically, in NY, can't be duplicated. Look at this townhouse in Brooklyn http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/07/re...uyer.html?_r=0

1892? What rivals this type of architecture in BH?

Lastly Rodeo Drive is a JOKE compared to Madison Ave.
This is not a question of whose better. Beverly Hills is wayy more famous worldwide than the Upper East Side. Its not even close, frankly.

Quote:
Um, NY IS known for 'Urban Living' hence why some people say that don't/can't see themselves living here because it's "too fast", Don't act as if you've never heard/seen this before. . . .

It means just what it says, It's one of the things NY is known for (Not saying it's different from other urban cities, they fit in that urban living lifestyle/category too). Crowded, fast pace, dense, great public transportation, etc. All of those things plays into the title of a place being "Urban" or Urban living.
But from the context of a cultural export? No not really.

Conversely, Beverly Hills and what people perceive to be their lifestyle is flat out copied around the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 11:01 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
New York is not your average American city. And yes, people around the world do associate New York with urban living. Not just in terms of tall buildings and big crowds, but diversity, culture, vibrancy, etc.
No kidding and that's why NYC is looked upon much more by AMERICAN's for urban living than people from other countries imo. Much of the developed world live in cities that are more far urban than your average American city, some just as or more urban and denser than NYC too. Sure people associate urban living with NYC but they also associate many of their own cities they actually live in with urban living too. You think someone in Hong Kong, Paris or Tokyo wished they lived in an urban environment like NYC like some Americans do when they already live in an environment just as urban? That makes no sense.

Plenty of other desne, highly urban mega cities in the world besides NYC,.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:15 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
We're talking about cultural exports here and I don't think many foreigners watch Good Morning America. The most popular American television programs that foreigners watch are sitcoms, prime time dramas (think Desperate Housewives and House), and reality shows like American Idol. The majority of these, I believe, are made in Los Angeles.
You're gonna tell me that many foreigners don't watch GMA and then bring up American Idol? American Idol is a product of British culture rubbing off on us, not the other way around. And in France, the masses have been consumed by "Star Academy" for a while now. Most of the garbage that Americans watch is all Reality TV anyway, which may take place anywhere from the Jersey Shore to the suburbs of Atlanta.

Quote:
Cultural exports don't necessarily need to be identified with the city they originate in. Most people don't know where the music they listen to was recorded or where their sneakers were designed.
So we should be giving Taiwan, China and India a whole lot of credit then.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No kidding and that's why NYC is looked upon much more by AMERICAN's for urban living than people from other countries imo. Much of the developed world live in cities that are more far urban than your average American city, some just as or more urban and denser than NYC too. Sure people associate urban living with NYC but they also associate many of their own cities they actually live in with urban living too. You think someone in Hong Kong, Paris or Tokyo wished they lived in an urban environment like NYC like some Americans do when they already live in an environment just as urban? That makes no sense.
You didn't read my response to Montclair, did you? When most people hear "urban living" or an "urban lifestyle," it does not conjure up images of Mexico City traffic or Mumbai slums. They think tall buildings, subways, and "action," and New York is often the city that's associated with those things, even in other countries. I never said that New York was the only place ever associated with city living, but that "urban living is readily associated with NYC," which is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Plenty of other desne, highly urban mega cities in the world besides NYC,.
Yes, there are plenty of "dense" mega cities in the world besides NYC. But that wasn't my point.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:32 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,925,311 times
Quote:
You're gonna tell me that many foreigners don't watch GMA and then bring up American Idol? American Idol is a product of British culture rubbing off on us, not the other way around. And in France, the masses have been consumed by "Star Academy" for a while now. Most of the garbage that Americans watch is all Reality TV anyway, which may take place anywhere from the Jersey Shore to the suburbs of Atlanta.
American Idol is hugely popular around the world, broadcast in over 100 countries apparently. Why the hell would foreigners watch Good Morning America? You're going to have to find me numbers showing how popular America's national news is across the world to have a convincing argument. And foreigners love trashy American shows, Baywatch was the most viewed American program in history. I live in Europe with Europeans, they love Two And A Half Men and The Big Bang Theory (of all things). My teacher when I lived in the Middle East couldn't get enough of Desperate Housewives. People want to be entertained, they don't want to watch the nightly news of a foreign country.

Quote:
So we should be giving Taiwan, China and India a whole lot of credit then.
I said designed, not made in a sweatshop. Big difference.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:35 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,872,100 times
Quote:
American Idol is hugely popular around the world, broadcast in over 100 countries apparently. Why the hell would foreigners watch Good Morning America? You're going to have to find me numbers showing how popular America's national news is across the world to have a convincing argument. And foreigners love trashy American shows, Baywatch was the most viewed American program in history. I live in Europe with Europeans, they love Two And A Half Men and The Big Bang Theory (of all things). My teacher when I lived in the Middle East couldn't get enough of Desperate Housewives. People want to be entertained, they don't want to watch the nightly news of a foreign country.
I'll never understand the appeal of these shows in any country. But both of those shows are set in the Los Angeles area (embarrassed to know that honestly). I guess Big Bang Theory is not terrible.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, you said that NY is famous for urban living and that's not really true in my experience, on the flip side, Malibu and Beverly Hills are quite famous for their lifestyle and how people there live, much more famous quite frankly than crowded apartment living which is much more common around the world.
New York City is world famous for urban living. It is considered the quintessential urban living experience by many people domestically and abroad. That's why so many people move here after all.

And apparently this urban lifestyle thing has caught on in Southern California as well, at least according to this guy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
Actually that is exactly what's driving people to downtown LA, people want that urban "sex and the city" lifestyle
This is what they want, huh?

Sex and the City Intro - YouTube

Old 10-24-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
You didn't read my response to Montclair, did you? When most people hear "urban living" or an "urban lifestyle," it does not conjure up images of Mexico City traffic or Mumbai slums. They think tall buildings, subways, and "action," and New York is often the city that's associated with those things, even in other countries. I never said that New York was the only place ever associated with city living, but that "urban living is readily associated with NYC," which is true.

Yes, there are plenty of "dense" mega cities in the world besides NYC. But that wasn't my point.
I did and I still think you're off base.. Yes, which many other international cities have. I'd be willing to bet the image residents of Sao Paolo or Tokyo get from tall buildings, subways, and action comes from stepping outside their front door. Yes NYC is associated with urban living but so are dozens of other cities. You act like you can't find a similar urban lifestyle of NYC in other cities like Paris, London, Tokyo, etc.. NYC stands out in America as far as a city and lifestyle much more than it would in Europe, Asia, and South America. That's why I don't think foreigners idiolize it the same way many Americans do. Cities like Tokyo, London, and Paris are also associated with an urban lifestyle in American's eyes.

You're right it's not the "only" place like that which is why it's not really exporting an "urban culture" internationally like you make it sound like since many international cities offer a similar lifestyle. Domestically it sure is as it is so unqiue, internationally not nearly as much.

Last edited by sav858; 10-24-2012 at 11:45 AM..

Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,925,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'll never understand the appeal of these shows in any country. But both of those shows are set in the Los Angeles area (embarrassed to know that honestly). I guess Big Bang Theory is not terrible.
Yeah these and other silly sitcoms are hugely popular outside the United States for some reason.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Baywatch was the most viewed American program in history.
Totally forgot about Baywatch and that's a really good one to bring up as it had such a wide reach internationally and exported the stereotypical LA beach culture. Not sure if there is a show today or recently that has had as much international appeal as it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City