Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:46 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,872,100 times

Advertisements

Funny, I was reading one of the blogs I keep up on and they posted this quote:

Quote:
“If most American cities are about the consumption of culture, Los Angeles and New York are about the production of culture — not only national culture but global culture.” - Barbara Kruger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 AM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
New York City is world famous for urban living. It is considered the quintessential urban living experience by many people domestically and abroad.
Not really abroad. Hate to break it to you.

Quote:
That's why so many people move here after all.
Very few people move there precisely for an 'urban lifestlye'-that's funny.

Usually people move for work, school or to be with relatives. The urbanNESS of their destination is usually inconsequential.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:53 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yes, which many other international cities have. I'd be willing to bet the image residents of Sao Paolo or Tokyo get from tall buildings, subways, and action comes from stepping outside their front door.
That's not the point. NYC is the most famous city in the world. So it's likely the first thing to come to mind when someone, anywhere, says "subways" or "skyscrapers." That does not mean that other cities don't have those things. It's not much different than Hollywood coming to mind when someone says "movies," notwithstanding the fact that Mumbai and Hong Kong do pretty well on the international film scene in their own right.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not really abroad. Hate to break it to you.
Yes, it is considered the quintessential city by many people worldwide. Hate to break it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Very few people move there precisely for an 'urban lifestlye'-that's funny.
A whole lot of people move there precisely for that reason, especially people who have the option to work in many different cities. You can simply "work" in a lot of cities. But there's really nothing like living in NYC.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
Quote:
That's not the point. NYC is the most famous city in the world. So it's likely the first thing to come to mind when someone, anywhere, says "subways" or "skyscrapers." That does not mean that other cities don't have those things. It's not much different than Hollywood coming to mind when someone says "movies," notwithstanding the fact that Mumbai and Hong Kong do pretty well on the international film scene in their own right.
So you think when someone in London says subway they think of NYC's subway first and not the Tube? Or people in Paris think of NYC and not their own Metro? Tokyo? Why would anyone in these cities with subways think of NYC first if someone mentioned the subway?

NYC's urbanity and urban lifestyle is not that unique abroad as it is in America, and that is my point of how it really doesn't export this urban culture like you think it does internationally. NYC exports it's image which clearly includes it's built environment/lifestyle but that built environment/lifestyle isn't something that can't be found similarly in other cities worldwide.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is considered the quintessential city by many people worldwide. Hate to break it to you.

A whole lot of people move there precisely for that reason, especially people who have the option to work in many different cities. You can simply "work" in a lot of cities. But there's really nothing like living in NYC.
I think domestically that is the case many times; people move for the urban lifestyle. Internationally people probably move to NYC more so to just live in America period. And NYC being so popular will be the top destination, it also one of the only places that offers a SIMILAR lifestyle to their own. If you don't know how or want to drive in America, NYC is one of the few places where you can live like that.

Abroad NYC's urban lifestyle isn't that unqiue like it is in America, you don't seem to get that.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So you think when someone in London says subway they think of NYC's subway first and not the Tube? Or people in Paris think of NYC and not their own Metro? Tokyo? Why would anyone in these cities with subways think of NYC first if someone mentioned the subway?
Do you think that when someone says "movies" in Mumbai they think of Hollywood first and not Bollywood?

I think that people in London and Paris view NYC as the quintessential urban lifestyle. I lived in France through an exchange program in high school, and yes, I would say that the average student there would definitely think of NYC before Paris. It's not just that it's big and urban. It's the glamor, the grit, the trains, the action, the whole package.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:20 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,872,100 times
Quote:
Do you think that when someone says "movies" in Mumbai they think of Hollywood first and not Bollywood?

I think that people in London and Paris view NYC as the quintessential urban lifestyle. I lived in France through an exchange program in high school, and yes, I would say that the average student there would definitely think of NYC before Paris. It's not just that it's big and urban. It's the glamor, the grit, the trains, the action, the whole package.
They may think of Hollywood but at this point most think of the term as an all-encompassing label for the film industry and entertainment celebrities. I doubt they think of Hollywood Blvd and Vine St (and probably have no idea what it looks like). They may or may not associate it with the city of Los Angeles.

Besides, this analogy doesn't fit. London, Paris, Tokyo, Moscow are all famous for being highly urban and having subways - just as much so as New York City. Bollywood is an inferior product, so that is why people think of Hollywood or American film when movies are mentioned. Urban living, maybe New York comes to mind first but not with such a huge gulf between it and the runner-up like it is with American film vs. the next tier.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
How many cities have subways compared to cities that are the center of film production like Mumbai and LA? Awful comparison there.

Quote:
When many Americans move to NYC they tend to get excited about the urban lifestyle they don't currently have; they can walk everywhere, take public transit, etc.. You think that people from Tokyo, Paris, London, etc..get excited about being able to walk everywhere and take subway when they already live that lifestyle?

Yeah NYC exports its image, like I already said, which its urban lifestyle is clearly a big part of just as Paris exports its own version of a urban lifestyle, same difference. You equated NYC exporting its urban lifestyle interntationally with how it does domestically, there is a huge difference there you don't seem to get.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
They may think of Hollywood but at this point most think of the term as an all-encompassing label for the film industry and entertainment celebrities. I doubt they think of Hollywood Blvd and Vine St (and probably have no idea what it looks like). They may or may not associate it with the city of Los Angeles.
My point is simply that people around the world think of Hollywood when you say "movies," right? People are likely to make that association even in a country such as India that has a well-established film industry. I think New York is similar in that respect. I think that it has the strongest association with "urban living" of probably any city in the world. That is not to say that a similar lifestyle cannot be found elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City