Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Newsflash: NYC is actually NOT the Center of the Universe and constantly on people's minds!
Are you serious? New Yorkers aren't the ones going around creating threads called "Mexico City vs. NYC" with the thinly-veiled, ulterior motive of attacking NYC (which they despise and envy) in a backdoor fashion. Thats why I don't really even post on City vs. City anymore. It's only a matter of time before a coastal war erupts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 01:07 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Are you serious? New Yorkers aren't the ones going around creating threads called "Mexico City vs. NYC" with the thinly-veiled, ulterior motive of attacking NYC (which they despise and envy) in a backdoor fashion. Thats why I don't really even post on City vs. City anymore. It's only a matter of time before a coastal war erupts.
That statement was based on your posts over the last few pages here, I don't even open those types of threads you speak of. Either way those types of threads have nothing to do with that statement.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
That statement was based on your posts over the last few pages here
My statements do not mean that NYC is the center of the universe. My point was that NYC is perhaps the city most "readily associated with urban living," which you just said a few posts back was not really that bad. So what's your issue?

Quote:
I don't even open those types of threads you speak of. Either way those types of threads have nothing to do with that statement.
My response was to your assertion that NYC "is not on everyone's minds." Well, it apparently is on quite a few people's minds if they create bogus threads with the intention of trying to "bring it down a notch."

Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,993,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanMets View Post
Are you serious? New Yorkers aren't the ones going around creating threads called "Mexico City vs. NYC" with the thinly-veiled, ulterior motive of attacking NYC (which they despise and envy) in a backdoor fashion. It's only a matter of time before a coastal war erupts.
Excuse me?

I created the Mexico City vs NYC thread and guess what? It was you thin skinned New Yorkers that did all the bashing. I was simply comparing two cities where folks would rather live or visit. You New Yorkers took it as an insult, just as you take every comparison as an insult, one of your kin going as far as calling Mexican food "the poor mans Indian food".

Jealous of NYC? LOL how tight is your head on your shoulders guy? NYC offers me nothing, I think that Times Square is one thing we don't have here in SF Bay Area, but that's it.
Quote:
Thats why I don't really even post on City vs. City anymore.
LOL when can we expect a retirement from you on this city vs city board? I'm looking for a specific date...

Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
My statements do not mean that NYC is the center of the universe. My point was that NYC is perhaps the city most "readily associated with urban living," which you just said a few posts back was not really that bad. So what's your issue?

My response was to your assertion that NYC "is not on everyone's minds." Well, it apparently is on quite a few people's minds if they create bogus threads with the intention of trying to "bring it down a notch."
I suppose you don't realize how you come off sometimes on here.

I don't think NYC's image and lifestyle is associated anymore with urban living than London, Paris, Tokyo, etc.. It just comes in a different style, a uniquely American one. And I don't think people in the developed world that already live in urban cities are thinking about NY's lifestyle and urbanity when they already have something similar they are already living in. This is my main point that you don't seem to get or acknowledge.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I suppose you don't realize how you come off sometimes on here.
No. You should tell me.

Quote:
I don't think NYC's image and lifestyle is associated anymore with urban living than London, Paris, Tokyo, etc.. It just comes in a different style, a uniquely American one. And I don't think people in the developed world that already live in urban cities are thinking about NY's lifestyle and urbanity when they already have something similar they are already living in. This is my main point that you don't seem to get or acknowledge.
I get your point. It's not a slippery concept. My point is that NYC likely comes to mind first when people say "city" because it is, after all, likely the most famous city in the world.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
No. You should tell me.
I think you already have an idea based on how defensive you got about my "Center of the Universe" comment.
Quote:
I get your point. It's not a slippery concept. My point is that NYC likely comes to mind first when people say "city" because it is, after all, likely the most famous city in the world.
Okay, well it's a point I certainly don't agree with given many people already live a "city" lifestyle in their own cities.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,872,100 times
Quote:
LOL you mean the one that got shut down because New Yorkers' massive egos got in the way?

Meanwhile the LA vs. Mexico City thread is happily chugging along: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...o-city-15.html
Which, BTW was started by a since-banned East Coast poster who I am sure is back on here lurking under another screen-name.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'd say in developed countries this is not true - they would probably think of their own flagship city.
I haven't been to all of the developing world. Only to India and West Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
In developing or third world countries, they may look to New York City as the epitome of urban living as it has such wide exposure in media and popular culture.
Well, that's largely what I mean.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I think you already have an idea based on how defensive you got about my "Center of the Universe" comment.
Non. Explique, s'il te plait.

Quote:
Okay, well it's a point I certainly don't agree with given many people already live a "city" lifestyle in their own cities.
Why can't you have a "city" lifestyle but yet think of other cities before your own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City