Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:34 PM

32,120 posts, read 34,787,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You equated NYC exporting its urban lifestyle interntationally with how it does domestically, there is a huge difference there you don't seem to get.
Let's go back to what I actually said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Urban living on this Board and around the world is readily associated around the world with this place (and TV series) more than any other.
Simply put: When people think of big city living, they think of New York. Now what exactly is your issue with that exact statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,696,840 times
Quote:
Simply put: When people think of big city living, they think of New York. Now what exactly is your issue with that exact statement?
It's more your statements after. Yeah people think of NYC when it comes to big city living, no one denied that, and it exports its image and culture, which urban living is a big part of. But it's urban lifestyle is hardly something as unique internationally as it is domestically. In America it exports an urban lifestyle few live, internationally it's exporting an urban lifestyle similar to what a lot of people already live with.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:42 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,431,163 times
Has this thread taken a turn for the myopic, or what?

New York is undoubtably one of the most famous cities in the world, but when Parisians and Londoners think of big city living, they think of their immediate surroundings, not NYC.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:44 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,878,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

New York is undoubtably one of the most famous cities in the world, but when Parisians and Londoners think of big city living, they think of their immediate surroundings, not NYC.
Yes myopic would be the perfect adjective to describe about 20-30 percent of the East Coast posters (and probably about that many West Coast ones too, to be fair).

The lack of perspective is hilarious.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:47 PM

886 posts, read 1,565,881 times
2 low key advantages.

1. DC Comics

2. Marvel Universe

In Marvel the worlds of Spiderman, Fantastic 4, Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man, etc. they coexist with NYC. Before Chandler mentions LA for Iron Man, he moved to the big city in the films and was in NYC in the comics. Howard Starks, his father, was always a New Yorker.

In DC Universe, it's not as distinguishable but NYC is Gotham City and Metropolis.

Superheroes are seen vastly all over the world.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post

Exactly, unless they happen to be thinking of the US which is probably not nearly as often as some New Yorkers probably think.

Newsflash: NYC is actually NOT the Center of the Universe and constantly on people's minds!

Old 10-24-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
2 low key advantages.

1. DC Comics

2. Marvel Universe

In Marvel the worlds of Spiderman, Fantastic 4, Hulk, Captain America, Iron Man, etc. they coexist with NYC. Before Chandler mentions LA for Iron Man, he moved to the big city in the films and was in NYC in the comics. Howard Starks, his father, was always a New Yorker.

In DC Universe, it's not as distinguishable but NYC is Gotham City and Metropolis.

Superheroes are seen vastly all over the world.
Oh believe me, Hollywood has more actual Superheroes

Google Image Result for http://images.travelpod.com/tw_slides/ta00/a0c/9d8/characters-at-hollywood-walk-of-fame-hollywood-walk-of-fame-los-angeles-los-angeles.jpg

Google Image Result for http://media.trb.com/media/photo/2010-11/57728390.jpg

The funny thing is I absolutely recognize the Superman in picture two... he was featured in the movie "Confessions of a Superhero" and is still going at it. He used to live on Yucca St and you could tell which apartment was his because you could see the place packed to the gills with Superman memorabilia - the room has since been cleaned up but I still see him around the neighborhood, not sure if he moved. Ironman lives in the apartment building next to mine and I often see him on his daily "commute".

Old 10-24-2012, 12:57 PM

32,120 posts, read 34,787,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's more your statements after. Yeah people think of NYC when it comes to big city living, no one denied that, and it exports its image and culture, which urban living is a big part of. But it's urban lifestyle is hardly something as unique internationally as it is domestically. In America it exports an urban lifestyle few live, internationally it's exporting an urban lifestyle similar to what a lot of people already live with.
You quibbled with my initial statement, which you now apparently don't think was so off the mark. I never said that "it's [its] urban lifestyle is something unique internationally." I said that many people, all over the world, are more likely to make the connection between urban living and NYC than any other city. That's not the same as saying that no other city offers "urban living," but you keep pouding and pounding away that.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
You quibbled with my initial statement, which you now apparently don't think was so off the mark. I never said that "it's [its] urban lifestyle is something unique internationally." I said that many people, all over the world, are more likely to make the connection between urban living and NYC than any other city. That's not the same as saying that no other city offers "urban living," but you keep pouding and pounding away that.
I'd say in developed countries this is not true - they would probably think of their own flagship city.

In developing or third world countries, they may look to New York City as the epitome of urban living as it has such wide exposure in media and popular culture. But they may also look to the developed country they had colonial ties to, i.e. Cambodia looking to Paris or India looking to London. But, I have neither been a resident of a third-world country nor have interviewed them so maybe I am wrong. But this would make the most sense to me.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I'm sure as a New Yorker you would like to think that. But in the developed world I would think people would associate urban living more so with their own city, that is also very urban, over one thousands of miles away. For people that already live in dense, urban environments your statement really makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City