Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 08:22 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,992,402 times

Advertisements

Which one of these two cities are the more influential of the cultural exporters?

LA and when you look at places like Lahore, Shanghai, Mumbai, Kolkata, Lagos, and their film industries are named Bollywood, Lollywood, Kollywood, Tollywood, and an overlap between American, British, French, and Chinese cinema there's your answer. Culture is more than just being the setting to movies and what others see. It's where they could relate to and that's LA IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Which one of these two cities are the more influential of the cultural exporters?

LA and when you look at places like Lahore, Shanghai, Mumbai, Kolkata, Lagos, and their film industries are named Bollywood, Lollywood, Kollywood, Tollywood, and an overlap between American, British, French, and Chinese cinema there's your answer. Culture is more than just being the setting to movies and what others see. It's where they could relate to and that's LA IMO.
Why would British and French cinema repeat there names as Hollywood??? They were bigger than Hollywood themselves at the start of the film industry. Most film theorists and film which was considered art was coming out of Europe and it really started in Russia, then Germany and France, and to a lesser extent Italy and Britain, they viewed golden age Hollywood genre and big "star" style films as a disgrace to pure cinema so I'm sure they wouldn't have tried to take that same name. Many directors often complained because of the limitations of Hollywood cinema, moral codes, and strict rules of what could be shown from places like Paramount. Hollywood eventually changed and started producing critical movies again when they started ripping off the styles coming out of Europe.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,992,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishico View Post
Why would British and French cinema repeat there names as Hollywood???
LOL. I was making two different points.

Point 1- Film industries in Lagos, Mumbai, Lahore, Kolata, etc have copied their names from Hollywood. Result is Bollywood, Kollywood, Lollywood, Nollywood, etc. You can look it up.

Point 2- American cinema overlaps with Chinese, British, and French cinema. You can find a slew of movies that are produced and directed by the industries in American cinema and the other.
Quote:
They were bigger than Hollywood themselves at the start of the film industry. Most film theorists were coming out of Europe and it really started in Russia, then Germany and France, and to a lesser extent Italy and Britain, they viewed golden age Hollywood style films as a disgrace to pure cinema so I'm sure they wouldn't have tried to take that same name.
Lets not get melodramatic here about your beloved Europe. American cinema from digital graphics and animations to diversity in ideas cannot be surpassed by the British or French.

LOL Pixar studios would sever any foreign studio's head off.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
LOL. I was making two different points.

Point 1- Film industries in Lagos, Mumbai, Lahore, Kolata, etc have copied their names from Hollywood. Result is Bollywood, Kollywood, Lollywood, Nollywood, etc. You can look it up.

Point 2- American cinema overlaps with Chinese, British, and French cinema. You can find a slew of movies that are produced and directed by the industries in American cinema and the other.

LOL Lets not get melodramatic here about your beloved Europe. American cinema from digital graphics and animations to diversity in ideas cannot be surpassed by the British or French.
You are right, at this point they do not compare to U.S. Cinema "in general". I'm familiar with the film industries in India and Nigeria, Nigerian cinema is mostly terrible and has terrible actors, Indian cinema has had some good stuff though.

Yes, it definitely overlaps, also overlaps with Japanese after they got out of their kabuki cinema phase.

Yes America definitely has better studios, digital graphics and animations, and of course a bigger scene now than anywhere, I was just saying that the cinema in Europe was already developed and/or developing at the same time as Hollywood where the recent *ollywoods came far later.

Pixar isn't helping Hollywoods case that much though considering it's in the Bay Area.

The only Pixar movie I am a fan of is Ratatouillie because it is set in the dense euro urban environment of Paris.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:53 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,757,067 times
Even Mad Men...a very NY show...filmed in LA.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Another area Los Angeles is very strong in: vehicle design

Many, many car companies have design studios in the L.A. area. If New York gets fashion, then L.A. gets cars
I think LA is very underated when it comes to fashion, LA was actually the 5th Fashion Capital in the world only behind London, NYC, Paris, and Milan, but sadly this year LA dropped to 9th Fashion capital of the world.

major fashion companies based and headquartered in LA are Guess, Forever 21, Bijan, Max Azria, lucky Brand jeans, James *****, Juicy Couture, Kitson, 7 for all mankind, American Apparel, marciano, tilly's, (Volcom, all that skating companies, hurley etc.) etc.

Last edited by jorge112597; 10-23-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Sorry grapico. I've agreed with every post you've made in my 2 months as a member on this forum besides this one. I'm extremely familiar with Indian cinema, I'm Indian myself and it's very primitive. The thing it has going for it is a large fan base but with everything regarding India, that's so easy to do with over 1.2 billion people in the country & a millions scattered on the reaches of the planet.

Indian cinema, every single movie is booted from American cinema. Usually you would suspect they would at least change the dialogue a bit but all they do is convert English to Hindi. My favorite example is the Indian movie Partner with the American movie Hitch. Now I'm a major Will Smith fan, not so much a fan of Indian movies because they lack originality. Every single freakin god damn movie is a romance in disguise. Horror movie? It's mostly romantic. Drama? Romantic. Action? Romantic. Thriller? Romantic.

Bollywood has nothing on innovation. No space related movies, no science fiction, nothing like Planet of the Apes, nothing like anything. Just humans. There was a alien movie they did half a decade ago called "Kio Mil Gaya" (spelling?) and it looked like the freakin alien was a guy in a zip up costume. No freakin joke. What's more unbelievable is that people in India took that laughable excuse for a movie as a sign of Bollywood's progression as a creative filming center. No movies like Rango, Star Wars, iRobot, Inception, Toy Stories, Taker, Avatar. Nothing.

Indian cinema when I was growing up (I'm only 22 for the record) looked like some cruddy thing that I could have put together on Microsoft Powerpoint. No joke. Absolutely primitive and awful. No comparison to Hollywood, whatsoever.
What I meant was, they've produced some good films, but most is crap I agree, I've never seen anything good come out of Nigeria. If you want to see the most horrible acting ever watch a Nigerian soap opera.
You can usually walk in an indian grocery store and behind they counter they will have like 1000 movies, but of those, a few are decent and have warranted critical acclaim.

Actually I am checking now and a few films I was thinking were good were actually not Bollywood, just set there... Water for instance, I thought was decent but it is a Canadian film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240200/

Also, do you know why they often choose a lighter skinned girl for their star actresses?

Hmmm what about Delhi Belly? Certainly not going to win any awards but passed a few hours...

Last edited by grapico; 10-23-2012 at 09:09 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 09:04 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,626 times
Another product that was culturaly exported by LA was the skateboard.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Ehhh I'm not so much into Bollywood. Not a girly type of person to be frank. I do like some of the Romantic movies but again which movies aren't romantic? Even an action fighting movie like Fight Club (the Bollywood one) has a sideline of romance. They're tolerable and nice sometimes but overall nothing like Rango, iRobot, The Knowing, The Day After Tomorrow, The Matrix Revolution, Hitch, & so on and so forth.

Well that's how it is. Slumdog Millionaire was a British film but somehow Bollywood managed to get credit for it. It sickens me to be honest.

Yeahhh exactly. Bollywood has some nice movies in all honesty but they are by FAR and away a few. I would compare them with the middle 50% of Hollywood's movies. They cant go head to head with the best of Hollywood for sure, maybe a fourth tier Hollywood movie.

Just check out the lack of HDR quality filming, poorly written scripts, & outrageous basketball talent they're trying to depict on this one:

Koi Mil...Gaya basketball match - YouTube

It doesn't matter though, it's not a realistic plot yet people (of all ages) in India after watching this movie believe this sort of thing can actually happen. We're talking about a country where stars get sued for a kissing scene because it sets a bad example for the youth. Very limited, very primitive, very lacking in creativity, innovation, & originality just like the country they're from. That's India in a nutshell.

Hopefully that movie did not get good ratings.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,957,786 times
Quote:
sorry grapico. I've agreed with every post you've made in my 2 months as a member on this forum besides this one. I'm extremely familiar with indian cinema, i'm indian myself and it's very primitive. The thing it has going for it is a large fan base but with everything regarding india, that's so easy to do with over 1.2 billion people in the country & a millions scattered on the reaches of the planet.

Indian cinema, every single movie is booted from american cinema. Usually you would suspect they would at least change the dialogue a bit but all they do is convert english to hindi. My favorite example is the indian movie partner with the american movie hitch. Now i'm a major will smith fan, not so much a fan of indian movies because they lack originality. Every single freakin god damn movie is a romance in disguise. Horror movie? It's mostly romantic. Drama? Romantic. Action? Romantic. Thriller? Romantic.

Bollywood has nothing on innovation. No space related movies, no science fiction, nothing like planet of the apes, nothing like anything. Just humans. There was a alien movie they did half a decade ago called "kio mil gaya" (spelling?) and it looked like the freakin alien was a guy in a zip up costume. No freakin joke. What's more unbelievable is that people in india took that laughable excuse for a movie as a sign of bollywood's progression as a creative filming center. No movies like rango, star wars, irobot, inception, toy stories, taker, avatar. Nothing.

Indian cinema when i was growing up (i'm only 22 for the record) looked like some cruddy thing that i could have put together on microsoft powerpoint. No joke. Absolutely primitive and awful. No comparison to hollywood, whatsoever.
lmao!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City