Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bigger cultural exporter
NYC 52 54.74%
LA 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:42 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,686,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Non. Explique, s'il te plait.
You act like NYC is the Center of the Universe.
Quote:
Why can't you have a "city" lifestyle but yet think of other cities before your own?
No one said you couldn't but if you're strictly thinking about characteristics of an urban lifestyle I don't see why a resident of Tokyo, London, etc.. would think about NYC first over their immediate surroundings. If a resident of Hong Kong is thinking about skyscrapers not sure why they would start thinking of NYC before just looking out their own damn window.

Again with the "Center of the Universe" mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 01:45 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
LOL you mean the one that got shut down because New Yorkers' massive egos got in the way?
Be honest, man. How does Mexican food in Los Angeles end up in a thread about Mexico City vs. New York?

This was supermanpansy's observation in that thread:

Quote:
Just reading the first three pages I get the overall feeling that many people (especially from LA or Cali) are picking Mexico city just out of spite. They just want to knock NYC down a notch because their cities always lose to NY.
That's really all that thread was about.

Quote:
Meanwhile the LA vs. Mexico City thread is happily chugging along: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...o-city-15.html
Which, BTW was started by a since-banned East Coast poster who I am sure is back on here lurking under another screen-name.
I'm sure. You don't have a bunch of EC posters inserting the Bronx into the discussion, I'm sure.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:49 PM

149 posts, read 261,443 times
NYC by a long shot, its not even close. im not a supporter and really dont care for either city but just look at how people say east cast bias. i mean no other american city is on the level of nyc. cities like london, beijing, paris, & tokyo approach nyc influence while u could say chicago and la are close to the same level even though i feel la is a tad bit above it while nyc is def above la.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:50 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,872,100 times
Quote:
Be honest, man. How does Mexican food in Los Angeles end up in a thread about Mexico City vs. New York?

That's really all that thread was about.

I'm sure. You don't have a bunch of EC posters inserting the Bronx into the discussion, I'm sure.
No but about half the thread is about how Chicago is the real 2nd city in the US. Which I couldn't give two sh*ts about honestly. Who cares which city is the "second city".

LOLOLOLOL also interesting is to take a look at how many East Coast posters voted for Mexico City over Los Angeles!!!!! I won't deny that it looks like some LA posters did vote for Mexico City and maybe it was to spite it (I didn't vote I guess, would've picked NYC) but you guys crack me up!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
No but about half the thread is about how Chicago is the real 2nd city in the US. Which I couldn't give two sh*ts about honestly. Who cares which city is the "second city".
Which thread are you talking about?

Quote:
LOLOLOLOL also interesting is to take a look at how many East Coast posters voted for Mexico City over Los Angeles!!!!! I won't deny that it looks like some LA posters did vote for Mexico City and maybe it was to spite it (I didn't vote I guess, would've picked NYC) but you guys crack me up!
Just scanning a few pages of that thread, I didn't see any of the usual suspects throwing jabs at LA. What would be the point? The whole point of the other thread was to find a city that's bigger than NYC in an effort to cut it down to size. It's like the kid who's physically outmatched who says, "Just wait til I get my big brother. You'll be sorry." That was the sole purpose of that thread.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:14 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
NYC by a long shot, its not even close. im not a supporter and really dont care for either city but just look at how people say east cast bias. i mean no other american city is on the level of nyc. cities like london, beijing, paris, & tokyo approach nyc influence while u could say chicago and la are close to the same level even though i feel la is a tad bit above it while nyc is def above la.
Los Angeles is only a "tad bit" above Chicago as a cultural exporter? Are you aware of the thread topic?

Old 10-24-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You act like NYC is the Center of the Universe.
Hmm. Okay.

Quote:
No one said you couldn't but if you're strictly thinking about characteristics of an urban lifestyle I don't see why a resident of Tokyo, London, etc.. would think about NYC first over their immediate surroundings. If a resident of Hong Kong is thinking about skyscrapers not sure why they would start thinking of NYC before just looking out their own damn window.
Because NYC is thought of as the ultimate city.

Quote:
Again with the "Center of the Universe" mentality.
Not really. If you look at all of those lists that people post, you find NYC at the top of nearly all of them. So why wouldn't someone say "NYC" if asked about the one city that defines everything a city is or should be? That's not unreasonable. It's no different than someone saying Michael Jordan defines the sport of basketball.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:27 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,426,385 times
Quote:

Just scanning a few pages of that thread, I didn't see any of the usual suspects throwing jabs at LA. What would be the point? The whole point of the other thread was to find a city that's bigger than NYC in an effort to cut it down to size. It's like the kid who's physically outmatched who says, "Just wait til I get my big brother. You'll be sorry." That was the sole purpose of that thread.
That thread began to go off the rails when New York boosters became indignant at the very comparison between "slum filled Mexico City". Right around page 3.

It's a recurring theme. New Yorkers will inevitably think no city in the world compares and anyone voting against NYC is just jealous. See: you in this thread. It was going great--10 pages of lively discussion. Until now.

Your superiority complex is completely out of control. I can just imagine a resident in Tokyo gazing at the stars, thinking about the big city--New York. Don't make me laugh.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 10-24-2012 at 02:39 PM..

Old 10-24-2012, 02:29 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,872,100 times
Quote:

The usual suspect(s)?

Old 10-24-2012, 02:33 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,993,662 times
Quote:
supermanwearspanties (wtf kind of name is that anyway?) was badazzled how anyone could choose Mexico City over NYC. That's a superiority complex and an ugly one.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...york-city.html

See the very first post after the OP and get the idea of what tune you easterners set for that thread.

btw, I messaged JMT about making that thread to get permission and told him my intentions to compare to cities in North America of similar size that haven't been compared to before. Where you and your posse of 1970's Scooby Doo low riders get the idea the thread was to bash NYC or put it in its place is up to your fantasies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City