Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:48 PM

342 posts, read 571,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Sounds like someone lost his lease and ended up in A Hunter's Point house share exchanging "favors" for rent with his pimp. I'll be voting "yes" on Prop 35 for you, Hank.
whats prop 35?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,140,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deh74 View Post
whats prop 35?
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.ph..._Slavery_(2012)

Old 10-30-2012, 09:01 PM

342 posts, read 571,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
i think your link is broken. but i get it anyway.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:12 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,710,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
The cities that have the most negative sterotypes.

So Baltimore, Cleveland, St.Louis, Detroit, D.C, Chicago, LA

The cities with the most unique culture

New Orleans, Boston, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, Miami, Austin, Seattle

The Largest Cities

NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas,

Overshadowed Cities

San Antonio, Philly, San Diego,
Since when is Dallas the 4th largest city? Did you mean Houston? Lol

Old 10-31-2012, 10:59 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,872,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
I have nothing against Indianapolis, it's just that they have multiple super-boosters. A few that overboost so much that it puts Indianapolis up with other cities that have many more, but that aren't as extreme.

I mean c'mon guys, they like.... had.... the Super Bowl... there... once.
Multiple super boosters?

I think there's only one.

People on the Indianapolis forum are proud of some of the things that are there/going on, but no one of sane mind (except the one who shall remain nameless) hypes it to a level with other major cities in the country. Many people see the city for what it is both online and in real life.

Indy is an average city: It does a few things extremely well, many things alright, many things that need improving, and a few things that are absolutely atrocious.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,872,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Absolutely nothing comes close to Narnian cities in terms of boosterism. You could combine the boosterism of every city on Earth and still not come close to the fanaticism you'll find in a Narnian city.

It's more of a civic fanaticism to prove a per-capita comparison to NYC & LA on everything opposed to traditional boosterism - but also FAR more powerful.

Des Moines, Omaha, Indianapolis, Austin TX on some level as well.

Can you give up the whole "Narnian" thing already?

I believe what you think you've coined is a "new" term... but it already exists.

It's called a "Napoleon Complex". Napoleon complex | Define Napoleon complex at Dictionary.com

While the strict dictionary definition applies to a person, it could very easily be translated over to something like a city.

Out of Des Moines, Omaha, Indianapolis, and Austin, which of those cities have you lived in? Or are you just making assumptions based on City-Data forums?

Out of the four you listed, I have only been to and lived in one, Indianapolis. But in my work I have dealt with 3 of the 4 (Des Moines, Omaha, Indianapolis).

From my (limited) experience, I can safely say that Omaha (city population: 415,068 metro population: 877,110) thinks it is like Minneapolis (city population: 387,753 metro population: 3,318,486), St. Louis (city population: 318,069 metro population: 2,817,355) or even Indianapolis (city population: 827,609 metro population: 1,778,568).

Is that a Napoleon Complex? I think so.

Is it "Narnian"? I do this:

Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,308,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Can you give up the whole "Narnian" thing already?

I believe what you think you've coined is a "new" term... but it already exists.
He has spent 6 years trying oh so hard to coin the phrase with the masses. It is quite hilarious, actually.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:02 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
How can one place accuse another of "boosterism" when boosterism is inherent in the whole City vs. City framework? The structure of the forum lends itself to competition.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:58 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,456,135 times
It could be about specific comparisons, and speaking for myself I've learned things about other cities that I didn't know before as opposed to imagining or presuming or bearing my specific experience on a whole city and its populace. Maybe others have learned new things too.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:28 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,855,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How can one place accuse another of "boosterism" when boosterism is inherent in the whole City vs. City framework? The structure of the forum lends itself to competition.
There is a difference bewteen providing information and saying "This is the best place on earth and anyone who disagrees is stupid/uninformed/suburban/unhip/out of touch" etc. Some posters clearly love where they live but don't spent all their time trying to tell everyone else how great it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City