Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 AM

73,064 posts, read 62,680,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
If a state's murder rate + percentage of murder victims killed by guns = gun murder rate, then a state's murder rate + percentage of black murder victims = black murder rate.
Actually, this is how it is calculated. For the Black murder rate: (number of Black murder victims)/( number of Blacks living in a state/100,000)

How do I calculate the murder rate per 100,000 people? - Yahoo! Answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Interesting thread.

Looking at the black murder rates, and mapping it out, the following seems clear:

The murder rate in traditional rural black communities must be very low. In the Deep South states which comprise the black belt, Mississippi has the lowest. Jackson is a very small city - most of the black population is still in rural areas. Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, and Virginia all have slightly higher murder rates. They all have traditionally black rural areas, along with, in some cases, black suburban areas. While all the major cities have black areas, there is no "all ghetto" medium-sized or large city in these states. The only traditionally black rural states with high rates are Alabama and Louisiana, which is probably due to Memphis and New Orleans, both of which have rust-belt characteristics.

It also seems, in general, the "civility" of the overall population (e.g., low murder rates), bleeds (no pun intended) from the white community to the black community. With the exception of the fluke murder in Vermont, the rates are low in New England - even in states with fairly substantial black communities like Connecticut and Massachusetts. Similarly, black murder rates are fairly low across a wide swathe from the Pacific Northwest to the Upper Midwest. Wisconsin seems to be the only state in this region with a low white murder rate and a high black murder rate. Given almost all of the black population in Wisconsin is concentrated in North Milwaukee, this isn't too shocking.

I do have to say the comparably high black murder rates in Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma are surprising. portions of Kansas City, Kansas are a bit ghetto-like, Kansas City Kansas is not a blighted rust-belt city overall. I can think of nowhere in Oklahoma or Nebraska which I would call rust-belt or ghetto, although admittedly I've barely been in Nebraska and never been to Oklahoma.
I have considered the geospatial distribution of murder(please know have a Bachelor's in geography so I might use the term geospatial alot).

Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia do have slightly higher Black murder rates than Mississippi. However, all of these states rank among the lowest as for as Black murder rates are concerned.

One theory I would present is diffusion. Alot of Blacks are moving to major metropolitan areas such as Atlanta, Charlotte, and DC. Alot of Blacks have moved there for job opportunities. The pattern I see is a large middle class population moving to southern metropolitan areas, particularly the ones I mentioned.

And ditto on the rural population part. Rural areas often have lower murder rates. The spatial distribution of Blacks in the South tends to be more spread out. Jackson,MS does have a high murder rate, higher than Atlanta. However, Mississippi is also the least urbanized state in the USA. One major thing connected to crime has been the drug epidemic.

There are some ghettos in the South. Atlanta has ghettos, so does Charlotte. Norfolk,VA also has ghettos. However, there isn't the same rust belt dynamic as you would find in parts of the Midwest.

As for Alabama, the major contributor for crime is Birmingham, not Memphis. Memphis is the major crime contributor for Tennessee. Birmingham is quite violent. Montgomery also has a high murder rate.

For Wisconsin, Milwaukee is one of the most segregated metropolitan areas in the USA. As you have mentioned, most of Wisconsin's Black population is located in North Milwaukee. It is also important to mention this. Milwaukee is 90 minutes from Chicago. Milwaukee also has one of the most impoverished Black populations in the nation, with the highest Black unemployment rate in the nation. Gangs in Chicago found the drug market in Milwaukee quite dormant, so they started recruiting members in Milwaukee. When the drug epidemic hit Milwaukee, the murder rate went up. It was alot of stuff coming together to create a severe situation.

Nebraska and Kansas are other places to look at. Kansas has around 176,000 African-Americans living there. Consider the Black murder rate in 2011 was around 18.84 per 100,000, that would mean around 33 murders. Kansas City had 27 murders(for all races) and Wichita had 25 murders(for all races). I might say that issues in KC,KS might be spilling over from KC,MO. I don't know for sure, but it might be something to consider.

Nebraska in many ways leaves alot to look at. The largest city, Omaha, only had 43 murders. For a city with a population of 410,000-415,00 people. And the most murders Omaha has seen in the last decade is 44, in 2008. This means the murder rate would be around 10 murders per 100,000. However, it has the 4th highest Black murder rate in the nation. Nebraska's Black population numbers somewhere around 87,000(I'm going by QuickFacts). When one considers the murder rate for Blacks in Nebraska as of 2011 was around 25.58 murders per 100,000, that adds up to about 22 murders. Much of Nebraska's Black population is in Omaha, about 56,000-57,000 Blacks living in Omaha. The pattern is similar to Wisconsin, but with fewer Blacks. There are some poor areas in Omaha. 6 out of 10 Black children in Omaha are poor. It is home to one of the poorest Black communities in the USA.

Omaha in Black and White: Poverty amid prosperity - Omaha.com
Logan Fontenelle Housing Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Omaha Housing Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oklahoma has some rough areas as well. Oklahoma City and Tulsa have some rough areas. In fact, The Outsiders, a movie about gangs, was filmed in Tulsa. Ghettos can be found anywhere.
There is close to 294,000 Blacks in Oklahoma. 184,000-185,00 live in Oklahoma county and Tulsa county, around 63% of Oklahoma's Black population. Considering the murder rate of 25.45 murders per 100,000 for Blacks in Oklahoma, that is around 75 murders.

I would say part of it is spatial distribution, poverty, and the way numbers work. For Nebraska's Black population, it doesn't take that many murders to have a high murder rate because there is such a small Black population.

I have a more updated list of Black murder rates by state:
Missouri Has Highest Black Murder Victim Rate

New Orleans has alot of poverty, alot of gangs, broken homes, and drugs. There is also a phenomenon called the "60 day murder".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misdem...rder#Louisiana
Do Not Pass Geaux: Misdemeanor Murder

Basically, if you are arrested for murder, under Article 701, you have to be indicted within 45 days of arrest for misdemeanor, and within 60 days for felony. If an indictment isn't reached, the person arrested gets released from prison. Considering the backlog of criminal cases, poor police work, and the "do not snitch" rule, alot of criminals would get away from murder simply because of lack of an indictment.

And the fluke murder that you were talking about in Vermont, it can make a big difference. According to the updated list, Vermont's Black murder rate is now zero, as it is for New Hampshire, Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, North Dakota, and Idaho. On the last list, Hawaii had a Black murder rate of zero. The updated list, Hawaii has a Black murder rate of 10 murders per 100,000. Given that Hawaii's Black population is close to 28,000, that might mean there were 2 or 3 murders.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:04 PM

490 posts, read 1,098,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I wonder why a good number of southern states: South Carolina, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee for example, have higher murder rates per capita than some northern states.
Haha, I've got a few theories...

Old 04-25-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Haha, I've got a few theories...
The South has historically been a violent region.

USA Murder Statistics for 1926
Casketville | Microkhan by Brendan I. Koerner
http://www.ouruf.org/d/grad/Violence...%20Culture.pdf

Old 04-25-2013, 10:47 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,398,340 times
Louisiana had twice the murder rate and twice the percentage of black murder victims to overall murder victims as Oklahoma. Their methodoly- Oklahoma had the higher black murder rate. Simple math-A black person was 4 times more likely to lose their life in Louisiana than Oklahoma.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And ditto on the rural population part. Rural areas often have lower murder rates. The spatial distribution of Blacks in the South tends to be more spread out. Jackson,MS does have a high murder rate, higher than Atlanta. However, Mississippi is also the least urbanized state in the USA. One major thing connected to crime has been the drug epidemic.
Rural areas have a lower murder rate for blacks than cities, probably for various cultural and historical issues. For others, except for those who don't live in said violent neighborhoods, it's unclear how big of a rural vs urban difference there is.

Quote:
As for Alabama, the major contributor for crime is Birmingham, not Memphis. Memphis is the major crime contributor for Tennessee. Birmingham is quite violent. Montgomery also has a high murder rate.
The most recent link you posted shows the black murder rate of Alabama in 2010 was much lower than 2009, only 8 per 100k.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Louisiana had twice the murder rate and twice the percentage of black murder victims to overall murder victims as Oklahoma. Their methodoly- Oklahoma had the higher black murder rate. Simple math-A black person was 4 times more likely to lose their life in Louisiana than Oklahoma.
How does simple math dictate that a Black person in Louisiana is 4 times as likely to lose their life than in Oklahoma even though Oklahoma has a higher Black murder rate? How the murder rate was calculated involved simple math. It is this: (number of murders) / (number of Blacks/100,000).

Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,256,584 times
I had no idea that the murder rate for the Virgin Islands was so high... 45 per 100K? Ouch.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Rural areas have a lower murder rate for blacks than cities, probably for various cultural and historical issues. For others, except for those who don't live in said violent neighborhoods, it's unclear how big of a rural vs urban difference there is.
I would say one part of it is that crack isn't found as easily in the rural areas as you would find in the inner city. One thing to consider is when crack cocaine hit certain cities, murder rates went up went up the roof, and African-Americans were the most adversely affected by this, being murder victims.

I find it ironic that the South has a high murder rate, and this has gone back before the Civil War.

Quote:
The most recent link you posted shows the black murder rate of Alabama in 2010 was much lower than 2009, only 8 per 100k.
Things have changed a bit in Alabama. I forgot about that.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
I had no idea that the murder rate for the Virgin Islands was so high... 45 per 100K? Ouch.
Major drug route. Same reason why Puerto Rico and The Bahamas have high murder rates. Drugs.

In fact, I mentioned it in post #62 and included a map to go with it: https://www.city-data.com/forum/26965680-post62.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City