Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most like Los Angeles?
Austin 12 3.88%
Denver 18 5.83%
Raleigh 5 1.62%
Atlanta 69 22.33%
Washington DC 6 1.94%
Charlotte 5 1.62%
El Paso 17 5.50%
San Antonio 19 6.15%
Colorado Springs 7 2.27%
Miami 151 48.87%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
The aspect that I knew eventually someone would respond to the statement and ask why.

I voted for fun, just as most people do. LA is its own city, I can feel the tension in this thread from Angelenos wanting to stick to a comparison with SF or Miami, in a condescending way I feel they think the rest of the choices are hick and will pivot tooth and nail to distance themselves from the rest.

I don't think LA is like anywhere in the country, instead some aspects similar to Mexico City but even then it's still and always will be a stretch.
Ahh..ok. lol. I was wondering if that were the case.

I try and let lots of the negative stuff slide because I know that often people are saying it to get a rise. Plus the LA threads always turn into debates about density versus urban form where I'm sure that both sides can find some agreement, yet choose not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
How are you going to compare a city that was mostly orange groves 100 years ago to Barcelona, a city that was founded before Christ?! No offense, but even our nation's most urban city looks downright homely compared to it.
LA county had half a million people 100 years ago. Barcelona city proper was half a million, not sure the metro population but many of the very densely populated suburbs (L'Hospitalet de Llobregat for example barely existed 100 years ago). The core of Barcelona is obviously older than LA, but much of the rest of the city and metro isn't.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 PM

886 posts, read 1,563,143 times
Quote:
DC is hick?
Are you really expecting me to answer this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Ahh..ok. lol. I was wondering if that were the case.

I try and let lots of the negative stuff slide because I know that often people are saying it to get a rise. Plus the LA threads always turn into debates about density versus urban form where I'm sure that both sides can find some agreement, yet choose not to.
Yeah basically.

LA is LA. It's always going to be LA, that doesn't mean people should mock it for being different nor mean Angelenos should mock other cities, especially young ones coming onto their own either.

These threads go full circle.

Last edited by BLAXTOR; 02-07-2013 at 08:12 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,988,097 times
Some cities will give you a coastline but not mountains, others will give you mountains but no coastline. Some cities will give you Spanish revival but no 19th or 20th century architecture, others will give you 19th and 20th century but no Spanish revivals. Some cities will give you pleasant winters but harsh summers, others will give you pleasant summers but harsh winters. Some will give you the economic power but not the glamour, others will give you the glamour but not the economic power.

To live the good life in LA, the higher your view the better your house is. The closer to the coast the better.

None of the cities on this poll offer more than half of what LA offers and that's being generous.

The most similar places to LA are SF Bay Area, San Diego, NYC, and maybe Chicago.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Similar landscapes, they certainly could have built that way. Why not? NYC is more urban than Barcelona. I'm not talking about how old, just the layout. If the U.S. was settled from West to East I bet it would look pretty similar. They are living in something aren't they? They could have had better city planning, I think they do NOW and are filling in for poor foresight of the past 50 or so years between the street car era and post ww2 suburban buildup.
Barcelona: Google Maps Street View

For "pedestrian friendliness" our cities do not compare to Europe's. That includes NYC. Their walkability was born of necessity. Likewise, L.A.'s continuing urbanization is also born out of necessity. However, I don't see the accomodations that were made for the automobile as a flaw. The strip malls and surface lots, yes. They're eyesores. But overall no. The automobile is one of mankind's greatest inventions. Making it a hassle to own one when it isn't necessary wasn't logical then, and it isn't logical now.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Barcelona: Google Maps Street View

For "pedestrian friendliness" our cities do not compare to Europe's. That includes NYC. Their walkability was born of necessity.
I wish NYC had some spots like that...

closest it comes to that is some downtown blocks like this:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Nassa...4.75,,0,-11.52

Nassau St is closed to cars, and the cross-streets have light traffic which can't move very fast anyway (the jaywalking pedestrians help). Note the view of the new World Trade Center a short distance away.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks1 View Post
To me LA looks like Detroit with palm trees. Honestly go to Detroit and go to LA, tell me they don't look similar!
I assume you're joking, but let's see...

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=detro...138.73,,0,5.33

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=resta...228.2,,0,-1.07

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=los+a...171.26,,0,5.33

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=los+a...04.82,,0,-0.32

Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Probably Santa Monica is a spot out-of-towners are familiar with and has some structural density in the touristy sections. No one visiting Philadelphia would bother visit any area more than maybe 1-2 miles from Center City. Manayunk or Chestnut Hill might nice enough but they're usually off the radar. You almost did the same thing previously. You mentioned Beverly Hills as adding to LA's density as you add to 50 square miles. I started going through the numbers. Beverly Hills may be pedestrian friendly and structurally dense in its commercial areas and it has some relatively dense residential tracts. Ditto, but maybe not as much for Pasadena. But Beverly Hills isn't one of the densest neighborhoods of the city; they're mostly a ring going from the west to south of downtown. Most of these areas are rather poor. I'm not going to argue poor people = less urban but having the fact most of these are low-income suggests they're not considered all that desirable places to live and there's a relatively lower demand for these neighborhoods, and also not neighborhoods people pay lots of attention to. Koreatown and Hollywood get some attention but otherwise? Pico-Union? Westlake?

Most other cities have a similar situation but not as extreme. NYC has Harlem, Washington Heights, the West Bronx and some poorer parts of Brooklyn among its denser neighborhoods, but plenty of its more urban neighborhoods are rather well-off, which gives out-of-towners a partially misleading view of the city.
I brought up Beverly Hills because it squeezes into that 50 sq mile area, and it highlights the point I was making, that L.A. starts to pick up steam starting from Hollywood. Not in the far flung suburbs. Westlake and Pico Union are poor neighborhoods that have thus far resisted gentrification. They will not compare to Russian Hill, Center City, etc. Other areas like DTLA and Echo Park have picked up steam though, and these are denser, inner city neighborhoods. Koreatown not too long ago was in the same boat as Westlake--it was one of the flashpoint neighborhoods of the L.A. Riots. Its starting to dust itself off. Hollywood itself was pure seediness 15 years ago. It has picked itself up. Westlake will gentrify eventually. I dont find the idea of American Apparels and Starbucks on Alvarado and Wilshire very appealing, but it is what it is. An inevitability.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 02-07-2013 at 09:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City