Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most like Los Angeles?
Austin 12 3.88%
Denver 18 5.83%
Raleigh 5 1.62%
Atlanta 69 22.33%
Washington DC 6 1.94%
Charlotte 5 1.62%
El Paso 17 5.50%
San Antonio 19 6.15%
Colorado Springs 7 2.27%
Miami 151 48.87%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:46 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
9 years ago Downtown Houston was hosting Super Bowl XXXVIII.

Looks like they let all of Harris County loose for the Main Event.

On a side note LA hasn't hosted a single Super Bowl in the past 40+ years...sad.
LA doesn't even have an NFL team so what do you expect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
LA doesn't even have an NFL team so what do you expect.
Better hope Farmer's Field doesn't get built - LA will host the next 10 SB's in a row if it does

Oh in addition to having not one, but two NFL teams

(not sure how to indicate a gross exaggeration)

Old 02-07-2013, 11:52 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Uhh...wrong there buddy...that would be San Francisco, which is 2nd only to NYC in density.
Read the rest of that post carefully, and you'll see what I mean by "second densest city".

We really should sticky these stats. I'm so tired of explaining this to non-believers.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Better hope Farmer's Field doesn't get built - LA will host the next 10 SB's in a row if it does
Probably so, it wouldn't surprise me if that actually happened.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 AM

Just realized LA is going to surpass Atlanta as having the tallest building in the US outside NYC and Chicago when the Wilshire Grand is built. It'll be 7th tallest in the US, taller than the Chrysler Building. It's actually quite attractive, and doesn't have the standard LA flat-top.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Probably so, it wouldn't surprise me if that actually happened.
If it got built, South Park would absolutely go bananas with hotel development. A brand-new, state-of-the-art football stadium plus a complete re-do of the convention center? I bet every parking lot in the western half of downtown would get filled in within a few years. The aforementioned new-tallest Wilshire Grand is going to be a hotel, there is a huge hotel shortage in DTLA. Two football teams seems like a stretch, but with everything else I'm not exaggerating - BUT. It's a big if now unfortunately, because AEG is up for sale. LA should be the poster-city for failed "approved" projects.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,106,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
First off I want to say I really appreciate all the great pictures you post and provide to the site.

I agree with what you are saying that LA has a post-modern or modern urbanity to it. I am actually the poster that brought you in with the "old school urbanity" statement. I think what you have to understand (and may be easy to miss from your incredible aerials) is that many of the new buildings are interspersed with a great deal of 10's-30's architecture. There are not entire historic districts of these old buildings, but they constitute a decent amount of inner LA buildings, if that makes sense.
I get that. I realize that LA didn't just pop up after the 70s. what I'm saying is density well most of it anyways came later on. LA has it reputation of sprawl because the way it started off. LA is symbolic for being spacious and a get away from the crowed Midwest and Northeast cities. LA pretty much started off the sunbelt city group. But because of eventually limited space and people kept coming LA started building up. There's nothing wrong with that I think yall should defend LA type urbanity rather than say it like SF is what I trying saying. I like LA better than SF I know it's sin to say that on this site but just being real.

This is what I'm talking about.
Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

Also don't try to throw the other sunbelt cities under the bus, most of the Southern Sunbelt cities are older than the Western ones. Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta histories are already ignore. LA is a lot denser than those cities but LA is not more older school denser then cities that's so debatable.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:23 AM

580 posts, read 1,181,657 times
I do not believe any city can emulate Los Angeles because it's a one of a kind city, but the city most like LA is Miami.

They have a lot of similiarities with warm weather, celeb hot spots, beach culture, car culture and glamour.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:28 AM

940 posts, read 2,028,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I get that. I realize that LA didn't just pop up after the 70s. what I'm saying is density well most of it anyways came later on. LA has it reputation of sprawl because the way it started off. LA is symbolic for being spacious and a get away from the crowed Midwest and Northeast cities. LA pretty much started off the sunbelt city group. But because of eventually limited space and people kept coming LA started building up. There's nothing wrong with that I think yall should defend LA type urbanity rather than say it like SF is what I trying saying. I like LA better than SF I know it's sin to say that on this site but just being real.

Also don't try to throw the other sunbelt cities under the bus, most of the Southern Sunbelt cities are older than the Western ones. Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta histories are already ignore. LA is a lot denser than those cities but LA is not more older school denser then cities that's so debatable.
Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression that you were trying to say that LA was built less urban than it's southern or western counterparts during the first few decades of the 20th century--which really isn't true.

I see no huge difference between the streetcar suburbs of Denver, Portland, Atlanta or wherever.

I was never trying to deny that Atlanta or other sunbelt cities had these kinds of "old-school" (not my term, btw...) development, just that LA had more of it because it was much larger than any of these by 1930, when the paradigm started to shift away from bungalows, fourplexes, and small apartment buildings.

I don't disagree that LA's structural density in the central area increased drastically from 1950-1990, I'm just stating that LA wasn't any "sprawlier" than any other southern/western cities pre-WWII... at least in the type of buildings that were constructed and the lot sizes. LA did "sprawl" more in the sense that the red cars facilitated a dispersed "constellation" kind of development across the basin, in a somewhat similar form to the small towns of the Boston metro area.

And as munch said, great pics!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

That makes sense, I think we are basically on the same page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City