Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 05:21 PM

304 posts, read 871,673 times

Advertisements

I may be moving to one or the other. I know cost of living in Boston is much higher. Which ever city I move to I will not be bringing my car and will probably move to a small studio or have roommates.

Which city is superior when it comes to:

Public transportation
Nightlife
Job opportunities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 05:31 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
I may be moving to one or the other. I know cost of living in Boston is much higher. Which ever city I move to I will not be bringing my car and will probably move to a small studio or have roommates.

Which city is superior when it comes to:

Public transportation
Nightlife
Job opportunities
Boston has a big advantage in public transportation and a lesser advantage in night life. Both cities have a varied and active cultural scene. As you pointed out, however, the cost of living in Boston is outrageous. If you live in Boston proper and want to avoid sketchy neighborhoods, you will pay exorbitant costs for housing. As for job opportunities, it depends largely on what type of job you're looking for. Again, an equivalent wage will go much farther in Minneapolis.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:35 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,803,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Boston has a big advantage in public transportation and a lesser advantage in night life. Both cities have a varied and active cultural scene. As you pointed out, however, the cost of living in Boston is outrageous. If you live in Boston proper and want to avoid sketchy neighborhoods, you will pay exorbitant costs for housing. As for job opportunities, it depends largely on what type of job you're looking for. Again, an equivalent wage will go much farther in Minneapolis.
Have you ever lived in Boston, or spent any serious amount of time there? There are plenty of neighborhoods that are safe and do not carry extremely high rents. If you actually take some time and look, you can find plenty of good values right in the city of Boston, or one of the neighboring towns, and very well connected via mass transit, like Watertown, Cambridge, Somerville, Quincy and Newton.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:48 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Have you ever lived in Boston, or spent any serious amount of time there? There are plenty of neighborhoods that are safe and do not carry extremely high rents. If you actually take some time and look, you can find plenty of good values right in the city of Boston, or one of the neighboring towns, and very well connected via mass transit, like Watertown, Cambridge, Somerville, Quincy and Newton.
Yes, I lived in Boston (Malden) for a year, and worked downtown. You're right, many suburbs have excellent mass transit connections--which is why I stated that Boston has a big advantage in public transportation. It's been a few years; so if things have changed since I was there, I'll gladly defer to someone who lives there now. When I was there; rental units in the city were extraordinarily expensive unless one was willing to live in Dorchester, Jamaica Plain, or Roxbury--all of which, at least when I was there, could reasonably be defined as "sketchy". To your point, the OP did suggest that they would probably have a roomate(s), which opens up more possibilities.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,196,055 times
Boston is expensive.....I'm surprised that's even being debated. But as far as the OP's requirements go, I'd have to say:

Transportation: Boston
Nightlife: Boston (assuming, because although the Twin Cities has an underrated one, I'm not going to assume it's better than a city that is easily 2X its size and on the East Coast)
Job Opportunities: Boston or Tie (the Twin Cities unemployment rate is 5.4% or something like that, but I think Boston has more Med Tech and Tech jobs, which are hot right now)

But like somebody already mentioned, if this were a dollar-for-dollar comparison, then the weights would all swing Minneapolis'/Twin Cities' direction (except Transit).

Old 11-17-2012, 04:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,384 times
Going to try to be more impartial than the Bostonites thus far.

Transportation: Boston. The "T" gives it the edge.

Nightlife Boston. College town feel makes it a city of great nightlife.

Job Opportunities Minneapolis. Unquestionably. Forbes recently named it the #1 city in America to find a job. The Best Cities for Finding Employment - Forbes

Old 11-17-2012, 09:34 PM

304 posts, read 871,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbringsusto View Post
Going to try to be more impartial than the Bostonites thus far.

Transportation: Boston. The "T" gives it the edge.

Nightlife Boston. College town feel makes it a city of great nightlife.

Job Opportunities Minneapolis. Unquestionably. Forbes recently named it the #1 city in America to find a job. The Best Cities for Finding Employment - Forbes
Im usually a bit skeptical of Forbes lists, but that said I have been researching the subject recently and Minneapolis does seem to have a strong economy, although so does Boston.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:07 PM

342 posts, read 571,107 times
Public transportation: Bostons transit network is huge for an american city and MSP is ...meh
nightlife: Neither has particularly great nightlife. I'd give Boston the edge here since it has more younger people so theres a bigger market.
job opportunities: Boston has a better economy, but it also depends what your field is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City