Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 PM

182 posts, read 297,795 times

Advertisements

I dont think I've seen these to cities compared on this site before which is a suprise because the both have around the same metro pop. Which city do you think has the advantage in..

-Arts
-Scenery
-Climate
-Economy, Corporate base
-Education
-Downtown
-Transit
- a random one, sports stadiums

In closing, which city or region do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,515,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySun View Post
I dont think I've seen these to cities compared on this site before which is a suprise because the both have around the same metro pop. Which city do you think has the advantage in..

-Arts
-Scenery
-Climate
-Economy, Corporate base
-Education
-Downtown
-Transit

Minneapolis by a long shot but if you hate the cold weather,that won't be possible

Old 02-21-2013, 02:05 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,987,830 times
-Arts
Minneapolis - St. Paul

-Scenery
Tie

-Climate
Tie

-Economy, Corporate base:
This isn't even close. Minneapolis - St. Paul

Fortune 500 Companies (2012):
MPLS - STPL MSA: 18
Phoenix MSA: 6

GMP (July 2012),
MPLS - STPL: $208.5B
Phoenix MSA $194.4B

-Education:
Minneapolis - St. Paul

-Downtown:
Both downtown Minneapolis and downtown St. Paul over downtown Phoenix

-Transit:
Minneapolis - St. Paul

-Sports Stadiums:
Minneapolis has two, brand new stadiums (Target Field and TCF Bank Stadium) and another will be under construction soon (Vikings Stadium). St. Paul has one of the nicest arenas in all of sports (Xcel Energy Center). So, Minneapolis - St. Paul

In closing, which city or region do you prefer? Minneapolis - St. Paul

Old 02-21-2013, 03:02 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
Minneapolis, but I am biased since I grew up in Minnesota. However, my grandparents lived in Arizona for awhile. Phoenix isn't bad but I like the Minneapolis-St. Paul area a lot better. Nice, lush scenery, inexpensive real estate, decent transportation infrastructure, some good restaurants/bars/etc. Great area. Pretty underrated IMO.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:03 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,222,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySun View Post

-Arts
-Scenery
-Climate
-Economy, Corporate base
-Education
-Downtown
-Transit

Minneapolis in all categories except economy and scenery

Old 02-21-2013, 03:05 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,096 times
I believe Minneapolis-St. Paul takes all the categories except climate/scenery, which is highly subjective. Those who don't like heat, won't like Phoenix, and those who don't like cold, won't like MSP.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:07 PM

274 posts, read 706,213 times
-Arts: Minneapolis easy
-Scenery: Phoenix, don't dig the brown though
-Climate: Minneapolis
-Economy, Corporate base: Minneapolis
-Education: So many universities in Minneapolis
-Downtown: Phoenix has one of these?
-Transit: Phoenix has some nice rail transit, but this category is much broader than that. Minneapolis.
- a random one, sports stadiums: Target field is nice, but so is the Cardinal's (somewhat) new digs. Tie.

Definitely the Twin Cities for me.

Last edited by jaboyd1; 02-21-2013 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,943,089 times
I disagree especially economy. Actually, Minneapolis-St. Paul has the 4th highest Income Per Capita of any MSA in the US, just behind DC, San Francisco, and Anchorage. By contrast, Phoenix MSA is 59th and a full over $10,000 per capita less than Minneapolis area. Minneapolis and the area also has some of the most fortune 500 HQs of any area/city in the US. I think city wise, it's top 5 even ahead of Chicago (although Chicago area has more than Minneapolis area).

Very, very low cost of living too. My parents' 4 bedroom, 4 bath, 3600 sq foot place and less than 20 years old now in a nice area, with a lush quarter acre back yard and close to a small forest is valued at less than $300,000 still.

For scenery disagree big time again. While subjective, it's almost apparent some of you have never been to some cities before and are just going by what you've seen on film. The amount of lush green space in Minneapolis and the area, along with the Mississippi River is very nice, especially in the summer.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:18 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Minneapolis' new football stadium will have a giant movable field surface that they will slide in to place that will be covered by sand, rocks and cactus.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:06 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,987,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Minneapolis in all categories except economy and scenery
Scenery is very subjective so, that category can be flushed. Also, how is Phoenix's economy better, than the Minneapolis area's, especially considering the Twin Cities has one of the most diversified economies in the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City