Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:03 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,410,194 times

Advertisements

Nope...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 01:05 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,036,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what do you mean it is not as vibrant? does it shine less?

I feel more alive in Houston than in a lot of the NE. I somehow feel closer to death in the NE.

If you are talking about activity there is just as much in Houston, but it is spread out over a larger base.

Vibrant as you guys use it is very deceptive, that is why people who have never been to Houston think there is nothing to do here.

I cant speak for spade but to me the difference in vibrancy is walkable cohesion and street level activity. On these aspects there is really no comparsion. Now not everyone likes this nor do they have to but to claim this level is acheived is also not accurate

Old 04-11-2011, 01:06 PM

16,514 posts, read 26,411,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That I do get frustrated with Northeasterners when it comes to that conversation. Houston is just as much a real city as Boston or Philadelphia. It's just not as urban or vibrant. It's a different type of city.
Exactly

Old 04-11-2011, 01:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,026,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I cant speak for spade but to me the difference in vibrancy is walkable cohesion and street level actiuvity. On these aspects there is really no comparsion. Now not everyone likes this nor do they have to but to claim this level is acheived is also not accurate
what the heck is walkable cohesion? Sounds like something you put in your car's engine to reduce noise.

and street level activity speaks more to bustle not vibrant. When I think of Vibrant I think of young and alive. When I think of SF and Philly young and alive is not what comes to mind. More like Haggard, aging, high strung, but not young and alive.

Philly= more bustling I will give you that

Old 04-11-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I suggest you make a vist then before you make that statement, NOLA, and I love NOLA for what it is and is truly an american gem is very very small compared to the other cities you compared it to

FWIW I really do like Houston, I likely would never live there because one it is too hot in the summer for me personally and two does not offer an urban lifestyle i enjoy; but honestly few cities in this country do
Well I don't see how you think Houston isn't a "real" city. Complete nonsense statement to me.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:13 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,036,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Well I don't see how you think Houston isn't a "real" city. Complete nonsense statement to me.

I think Houston is a medium sized city in a very large Metro; it most definately is real but no where near as large as a city as some of the others listed. It's metro is comparable

Old 04-11-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
what the heck is walkable cohesion? Sounds like something you put in your car's engine to reduce noise.

and street level activity speaks more to bustle not vibrant. When I think of Vibrant I think of young and alive. When I think of SF and Philly young and alive is not what comes to mind. More like Haggard, aging, high strung, but not young and alive.

Philly= more bustling I will give you that
I agree with his definition of vibrant, NOLA isn't young but dammit its vibrant. Some parts of Gray St and Richmond are vibrant. Also the area around the Pavillion is vibrant. On weekend evenings its full of Houston yuppies doing whatever they do and parking there Porches.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:19 PM

209 posts, read 525,479 times
Quote:
I think Houston is a medium sized city in a very large Metro; it most definately is real but no where near as large as a city as some of the others listed. It's metro is comparable
...you are mad aren't you?

The city of houston is 2.1 million people strong (probably more after the challange).

It is neither medium sized in population or in land mass.

get over it dude..

Quote:
So now there's a difference between a city and its metro? Without Houston, its metro area would be just like Beaumont. A city with over 2.2 million isn't medium. This is making less sense and the pages go along.

721 posts, read 1,798,316 times
Another thread derailed by Houstonians

Last edited by Dncr; 04-11-2011 at 01:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City