Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Houston surpass Chicago as the 3rd largest city by 2020?
Yes 497 41.49%
No 701 58.51%
Voters: 1198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:41 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,997,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
OF COURSE those cities have more people in less space, they didn't have cars in those days! Houston is huge, too late to go back, doesn't matter what people live in, there's still 2.2 million in the city itself, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Paul wants to have his cake and eat it too. he plays with a metric as long as it suits him. When Houston passed Philly on City limits his argument is that City limits are meaningless, so he switched to MSA, when Houston passed that to, he switched to UA then he saw that Houston had a denser UA than Philly he switched to media market.

Like it or not Paul, No other mayor controls a larger municipality than our own Lesbo Mayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 01:44 PM

20,524 posts, read 33,599,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
OF COURSE those cities have more people in less space, they didn't have cars in those days! Houston is huge, too late to go back, doesn't matter what people live in, there's still 2.2 million in the city itself, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Basically, I think he's saying is that city population means nothing. If Chicago had 579 sq. miles, they would be approaching 4 million. Similar arguments can be made for other cities around the country. The UA or MSA are the best method to determine the true size of the city.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:45 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,993,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Over time Houston will continue to grow in its city limits and will surpass Chicago. Maybe not in 10 years, but it will happen.
Yes.....blah blah blah these sunbelt cities are spread out, its the same thing people said about LA for decades, and now that city has some very dense areas that rival any city not named New York. All it means is that if Houston ever gets to 8,000ppsm consistently it will have nearly 5 milliion people. Its not going to shrink, these cities including Houston will continue to grow an will continue to pass up the old guard......

I honestly dont think hosuton will ever get close to 8K ppsm for the whole city, even the densest portions (meaning at least 10+ sq miles attached) are below that. LA is developed and was from the get go developed much more dense that Houston.

I honestly never see a day where the current borders get to 4 million, let alone 5 million. Cheap real estate will not exist at these densities and the tax on services will increase tremedously

but you can disagree, on Houston passing Chicago on this technical measure, yes it likely will happen, but for one reason only, its huge borders

Old 04-11-2011, 01:45 PM

209 posts, read 524,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes to me a huge difference between city and metro, most of which is suburbs, on Metro size Chicago dwarfs Houston BTW

So you have 2.2 million people in 600 sq miles, Philly surpasses 2.2 million in about 260 sq miles( but this already into what we call the suburbs here which are more built up than what you call the city); Boston in like 280, Chicago in like 240 or 250, NYC in like 80 miles. That is the point, Houston only has 2.2 million people becuase of its land area, Are you saying Houston is built as a city in all of the 600 sq miles?

Again this is my point but whatever. This is the point these huge boundaries make comparing the populations well for lack of a better description, rediculous

MSAs or UAs or CSAs at least are somewhat normalized in criteria, city boundaries are well fairly meaningless for these comparisons. I mean do you think Houston is nearly 4 times the size of boston, that is what these population stats would suggest, preety meaningless when viewed from that perspective. Or is San Antonio more than twice the size of Boston i mean really
NYC is 468 square miles and 300+ of it is land....so, really...it isn't as large of city, because if it had a more "average" sized city proper...it wouldn't be the largest city in the US. so really, we should replace it with Boston or Philly...cause they are real cities...Their city proper is more on a level playing field.

Lets throw out Los Angeles as well...4 million people in 469 sq of land...not fair, lets down grade them...too much land, equals too much of an unfair advantage in "City" definition.

Chicago should be no. 1

I should get a noble peace prize.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I honestly dont think hosuton will ever get close to 8K ppsm for the whole city, even the densest portions (meaning at least 10+ sq miles attached) are below that. LA is developed and was from the get go developed much more dense that Houston.
that is a flat out lie. you approach that in the 25 or so inner loop areas I mentioned earlier and that area is half as dense as the SW.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:50 PM

20,524 posts, read 33,599,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUM398 View Post
NYC is 468 square miles and 300+ of it is land....so, really...it isn't as large of city, because if it had a more "average" sized city proper...it wouldn't be the largest city in the US. so really, we should replace it with Boston or Philly...cause they are real cities...Their city proper is more on a level playing field.

Lets throw out Los Angeles as well...4 million people in 469 sq of land...not fair, lets down grade them...too much land, equals too much of an unfair advantage in "City" definition.

Chicago should be no. 1

I should get a noble peace prize.
Huh? If you brought down NYC to Manhattan(it's core), it would have a population of nearly 1.6 million in 23 sq miles. If 23 sq. miles was set for every city from it's core, do you think they would have that population? I would guarantee that answer would be no. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Huh? If you brought down NYC to Manhattan(it's core), it would have a population of nearly 1.6 million in 23 sq miles. If 23 sq. miles was set for every city from it's core, do you think they would have that population? I would guarantee that answer would be no. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.
That's the thing though, we can't pick and choose, Destiny and the cities themselves set the limits for each individual city. We can't pick and choose part. it is what it is. That "if everything was equal thing is nonsense". A city is a city, and no two are identical.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:56 PM

209 posts, read 524,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That's the thing though, we can't pick and choose, Destiny and the cities themselves set the limits for each individual city. We can't pick and choose part. it is what it is. That "if everything was equal thing is nonsense". A city is a city, and no two are identical.
bingo

Old 04-11-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUM398 View Post
bingo
Well I guess Russia is not a real country because it has less people than India in a bigger land mass. No wait, I want to change my statement, land boundaries mean nothing because some countries are bigger than others.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:01 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,140,905 times
Quote:

I honestly never see a day where the current borders get to 4 million, let alone 5 million. Cheap real estate will not exist at these densities and the tax on services will increase tremedously

but you can disagree, on Houston passing Chicago on this technical measure, yes it likely will happen, but for one reason only, its huge borders

That was the question. And thats the right answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City