Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
LA is definitely more of the hub for the entire region.
The economy in LA is more moved onto entertainment. San Francisco's economy is wider. If we take into account the population then NYC would not the the economy capital of the world- it would be Tokyo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 PM

666 posts, read 1,291,443 times
I know New York (City) is definitely part of the Northeast, but don't remember seeing it as part of the Mid-Atlantic. Maybe because NYC is minutes away from the beginning of New England. Now- if we take into account the entire North American continent then all of the eastern seaboard of the US except Florida would be Mid-Atlantic.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,327 times
Southwest: SAN FRANCISCO

SF's not in the Southwest.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:07 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
I agree. Although I would have Charlotte or Daytona Beach as capital of Racing
Indianapolis is the racing Capital of the World.
Nuff said about that.
dont believe me then here:

Indianapolis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
read some of the nicknames.

Plus have you even been to Indianapolis?
What about visiting Indy during the Indy 500 or Brickyard 400?
Cause there is no way in the world any other city can be the *Racing Capital of the World*

Old 11-27-2012, 04:29 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
I know New York (City) is definitely part of the Northeast, but don't remember seeing it as part of the Mid-Atlantic. Maybe because NYC is minutes away from the beginning of New England. Now- if we take into account the entire North American continent then all of the eastern seaboard of the US except Florida would be Mid-Atlantic.

This doesnt make sense to me. Is NJ Mid Atlantic? I just dont understand the NYC not Mid Atlantic

Maybe I am alone

But given an associated choice of is NY Mid Atlantic or a part of New England I think the answer is pretty simple

Old 11-27-2012, 04:43 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This doesnt make sense to me. Is NJ Mid Atlantic? I just dont understand the NYC not Mid Atlantic

Maybe I am alone

But given an associated choice of is NY Mid Atlantic or a part of New England I think the answer is pretty simple
I've never heard New York of not being part of the Mid-Atlantic. It's a pretty well-defined region... It's the area of the coast (and connected inland areas) that wasn't New England and wasn't the South.

It was identified as being it's own region including New York as early as the late 1800s by Frederick Jackson Turner.

Quote:
The Middle region, entered by New York harbor, was an open door to all Europe. The tide-water part of the South represented typical Englishmen, modified by a warm climate and servile labor, and living in baronial fashion on great plantations; New England stood for a special English movement-- Puritanism. The Middle region was less English than the other sections. It had a wide mixture of nationalities, a varied society, the mixed town and county system of local government, a varied economic life, many religious sects. In short, it was a region mediating between New England and the South, and the East and the West. It represented that composite nationality which the contemporary United States exhibits, that juxtaposition of non-English groups, occupying a valley or a little settlement, and presenting reflections of the map of Europe in their variety. It was democratic and nonsectional, if not national; "easy, tolerant, and contented;" rooted strongly in material prosperity. It was typical of the modern United States. It was least sectional, not only because it lay between North and South, but also because with no barriers to shut out its frontiers from its settled region, and with a system of connecting waterways, the Middle region mediated between East and West as well as between North and South. Thus it became the typically American region. Even the New Englander, who was shut out from the frontier by the Middle region, tarrying in New York or Pennsylvania on his westward march, lost the acuteness of his sectionalism on the way.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:56 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Why do people refuse to label NYC mid Atlantic? That's what it is.

The Mid Atlantic is NYC (Not NY state), Philadelphia (Not all of PA), New Jersey, Maryland, DC, and Delaware. Basically, coastal cities (or states) which are not in New England, and not in the south.

Northeast = Mid Atlantic + New England.
Some people just have different definitions of the Mid-Atlantic. To me it was always the southern part of the Northeast, i.e. the area below New England and north of Virginia. I've slowly come to accept the idea that Virginia is mid-Atlantic. I'm starting to think there is two mid-Atlantics. One is a subdivision of the Northeast. The other is the overlapping between the southern most northeastern states and the northern most southeastern states.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:00 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Atlanta may have the biggest hub, but between the NYC airports, you get far more foreign carriers and more diversity in international cities served nonstop.
Well duh...thank you for posting widely-known information.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Mid-Atlantic: DC
Northeast: NYC
New England: Boston
Southeast: Miami or Atlanta
South: Houston
Middle: Chicago
Rocky Mountain Area: Denver
Pacific Northwest: Seattle, Anchorage, Bay Area or Portland, I can't decide
Pacific Southwest: LA or San Diego
Desert Southwest: Phoenix or Las Vegas
Tropics: Honolulu
Beaches: Honolulu, San Diego and Miami tied

Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,864,327 times
Water Body Capitals:

Ocean Capital: New York
Gulf Capital: Houston
Bay Capital: San Fransico
Sound Capital: Seattle
Sea Capital: San Juan
Great Lakes Capital: Chicago
Lakes Capital: Minneapolis
Salt Lake Capital: Salt Lake City
River Capital: St. Louis
Pond Capital: Orlando
Marsh Capital: New Orleans
Dry River Capital: Los Angeles
Glacier Capital: Denver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City