Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,601 times

Advertisements

Hey guys really glad I found this forum. I'm 25 and graduating from college in a couple months and trying to decide between two job offers...one of them being in Houston and the other in Milwaukee. I live in Arizona right now so I know that either city will present some major differences. I spent a day in both cities during my job interviews and was impressed but I'd like to get some opinions someone who's lived in one of these cities before I decide.

Weather-wise I don't mind the cold and snow (born on the east coast) and I can certainly put up with extreme heat after living in AZ for 8 years. I'd like to look into renting a house in a nice suburban area so any recommendations would be appreciated. I like the outdoors (hiking, camping, fishing) and going out around town (museums, bars, restaurants). So what do you guys think....Milwaukee or H-town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,546 times
I'd say neither if you could afford it. Both have incredibly hot summers and Milwaukee is extremely cold in winters. But I just reread and saw that you are considering jobs so...I'd say. Go with Milwaukee. Houston is Texas for heaven's sake!

Old 11-27-2012, 02:48 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
I'd say neither if you could afford it. Both have incredibly hot summers and Milwaukee is extremely cold in winters. But I just reread and saw that you are considering jobs so...I'd say. Go with Milwaukee. Houston is Texas for heaven's sake!
What does that mean that Houston is Texas for heavens sake?

Old 11-27-2012, 03:53 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
So what's wrong with Houston being Texas?

Old 11-27-2012, 04:49 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,284 times
Based on what you are looking for, I recommend Milwaukee. Wonderful city last time I was there. The people are down to earth and there is a lot of outdoor activities to do.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:56 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibellius View Post
Hey guys really glad I found this forum. I'm 25 and graduating from college in a couple months and trying to decide between two job offers...one of them being in Houston and the other in Milwaukee. I live in Arizona right now so I know that either city will present some major differences. I spent a day in both cities during my job interviews and was impressed but I'd like to get some opinions someone who's lived in one of these cities before I decide.

Weather-wise I don't mind the cold and snow (born on the east coast) and I can certainly put up with extreme heat after living in AZ for 8 years. I'd like to look into renting a house in a nice suburban area so any recommendations would be appreciated. I like the outdoors (hiking, camping, fishing) and going out around town (museums, bars, restaurants). So what do you guys think....Milwaukee or H-town?
Houston has all those things and I'm guessing Milwaukee has them as well. I think you'll enjoy both cities so just go with the job you would like the most.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Based on what you are looking for, I recommend Milwaukee. Wonderful city last time I was there. The people are down to earth and there is a lot of outdoor activities to do.
In Houston we're all a bunch of ***holes.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:27 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
In Houston we're all a bunch of ***holes.
What are you rambling about? Re-read my post and then tell me where I said Houston is full of a-holes.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,053 times
I'd probably pick Milwaukee over Houston in your case. I haven't spent tons of time in either city, but from the time I have spent, I found Milwaukee to be a nicer place and a little bit more youthful and exciting. Also, it's close to Chicago which is a major plus in my book. Since you're planning on renting a home in the suburbs, you could live in a suburb south of Milwaukee and have very easy access to both cities.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
What are you rambling about? Re-read my post and then tell me where I said Houston is full of a-holes.
I was just joking with you.

You mentioned the OP should pick Milwaukee because they had a lot of outdoor activities and down to earth people. Well Houston definitely has a lot of outdoor activities so that only leaves......well you get where I'm going.

I know that's not what you meant. Just having a little fun with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City