Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Providence or Baltimore?
Providence 32 47.76%
Baltimore 35 52.24%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,760,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11kap View Post
word.
x 1,000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 03:26 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,228,302 times
How is baltimore losing this? I understand baltimore isnt the most popular city but has its own unique culture and deserves to be in the ranks of philly and D.C.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Status: "‘But who is the land for? The sun and the sea for?’" (set 3 days ago)

6,836 posts, read 6,108,870 times
Providence has been gaining population for the last 20 years, Baltimore has been losing population for the last 50 years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
How is baltimore losing this? [it] has its own unique culture and deserves to be in the ranks of philly and D.C.
and Providence doesn't?

Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM

16,344 posts, read 8,134,049 times
Both are good towns with lots to offer. But Baltimore is much bigger so it's comparing apples to oranges.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:31 PM

10,123 posts, read 10,032,643 times
Baltimore because it has more to offer.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:35 PM

6,843 posts, read 11,006,891 times
I voted Baltimore but I could have gone either way. Providence is a nice city but it's significantly a bedroom community for Boston & to be honest it's one of those places that I have on my short list of places I could live in. The cost of living is a bargain in Providence compared to Boston in all honesty & that looks appealing especially because you could take transit from Providence to Boston at a whim.

Baltimore is more of a standalone city, it's the anchor of it's own domain and it's not a bedroom community anywhere, although it is a cost alternative to Washington. I'm not the biggest fan of Baltimore at all to be honest, I'm really not into that vibe & pessimism that prevails there nor was I particularly impressed with how dead downtown is, seriously I saw a few nurses walking around getting food from their shift from the hospital and that was it. It feels like a sleepy city but has great urban bones- kind of sad.

The area is lovely though, nice topography with the hills, greenery, & the Chesapeake Bay. I like the location on the waterfront and in which case it's the deal breaker for why I'd always pick Baltimore over Philadelphia, that and the fact that both cities feel pretty much the same on vibe but Baltimore is only 35 miles from Washington. Huge benefit in "going" & "getting back" for me. I'm not a fan of adding unnecessary mileage to my car, so 35 miles- a bargain. Then there's MARC, nice transit options as well.
Quote:
How is baltimore losing this? I understand baltimore isnt the most popular city but has its own unique culture and deserves to be in the ranks of philly and D.C.
Hell no.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:04 PM

14,102 posts, read 15,137,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I voted Baltimore but I could have gone either way. Providence is a nice city but it's significantly a bedroom community for Boston & to be honest it's one of those places that I have on my short list of places I could live in. The cost of living is a bargain in Providence compared to Boston in all honesty & that looks appealing especially because you could take transit from Providence to Boston at a whim.

Baltimore is more of a standalone city, it's the anchor of it's own domain and it's not a bedroom community anywhere, although it is a cost alternative to Washington. I'm not the biggest fan of Baltimore at all to be honest, I'm really not into that vibe & pessimism that prevails there nor was I particularly impressed with how dead downtown is, seriously I saw a few nurses walking around getting food from their shift from the hospital and that was it. It feels like a sleepy city but has great urban bones- kind of sad.

The area is lovely though, nice topography with the hills, greenery, & the Chesapeake Bay. I like the location on the waterfront and in which case it's the deal breaker for why I'd always pick Baltimore over Philadelphia, that and the fact that both cities feel pretty much the same on vibe but Baltimore is only 35 miles from Washington. Huge benefit in "going" & "getting back" for me. I'm not a fan of adding unnecessary mileage to my car, so 35 miles- a bargain. Then there's MARC, nice transit options as well.

Hell no.
Providence is as much a bedroom community to Boston as Baltimore is to D.C. Both have their own MSA but are second cities in their CSA's

Old 12-07-2012, 05:45 PM

10,774 posts, read 23,921,615 times
Quote:
Not really. All three cities have their share of urban blight, but it seems easier to overlook in Philadelphia and Center City Philly has a lot more vibrancy and action than Inner Harbor Baltimore. Philadelphia is a lot more inviting, Baltimore's grit seems omnipresent even in the nicer areas around downtown/Charles St. DC is way out of Baltimores league.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 PM

6,843 posts, read 11,006,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Providence is as much a bedroom community to Boston as Baltimore is to D.C. Both have their own MSA but are second cities in their CSA's
Come on btown, you live in a pretty damn gorgeous metropolis of 7.6 million. Does your heart melt to defend Providence as a major city? With what major professional sports teams, economy, airport, & anything else that defines a large city in modern days?

Providence is a a satellite town of Boston, it's standalone in the essence that it's a state capital & it's a bedroom community in the essence that people drop what they're doing to go to work, shop, dine, use he facilities, schools, sports events, & everything else of Boston. Now granted that doesn't mean Providence lacks any of those amenities but size & scale. Providence is a safer version of Wilmington, Delaware on steroids.

Baltimore, it has it's own economy, it's own nucleus, it's own leisure, it's own professional sports, it's own cuisine, it's own airport, it's own everything. It's more like a San Jose or Fort Worth or something than a Fort Lauderdale or Wilmington.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:58 PM

14,102 posts, read 15,137,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Come on btown, you live in a pretty damn gorgeous metropolis of 7.6 million. Does your heart melt to defend Providence as a major city? With what major professional sports teams, economy, airport, & anything else that defines a large city in modern days?

Providence is a a satellite town of Boston, it's standalone in the essence that it's a state capital & it's a bedroom community in the essence that people drop what they're doing to go to work, shop, dine, use he facilities, schools, sports events, & everything else of Boston. Now granted that doesn't mean Providence lacks any of those amenities but size & scale. Providence is a safer version of Wilmington, Delaware on steroids.

Baltimore, it has it's own economy, it's own nucleus, it's own leisure, it's own professional sports, it's own cuisine, it's own airport, it's own everything. It's more like a San Jose or Fort Worth or something than a Fort Lauderdale or Wilmington.
Providence has its own economy, it is larger than New Orleans in that department, T.F. Green Airport.
Providence has its own schools too, Brown University is ranked higher than any school in Baltimore.
And unlike Baltimore people move TO not FROM Providence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City