Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 03:41 AM

148 posts, read 238,806 times

Advertisements

sorry this is a really huge post. i cant sleep.

My question posed is: What other cities in the world employ the use of underground tunnels to connect dt buisness districts together in a similar fashion of the chicago pedway system?

I previously didnt know it was quite exapansive and had retail and grocery. It covers 40 blocks, has discreet entrances and limited access to certain sensitve areas for obvious reasons by city hall. The cta is connected to it as are 50 other lobbys of offices and places of interest you can access just by going upstairs or taking an elevator or escalator.

I imagine this was in response to providing a convinent escape from bad weather and at the same time provide convienient access too.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ps26ddb1c8.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ps04120eb6.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ps34933499.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...psdc0fc702.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...psb9564765.jpg

Now imagine theres a 21st century upgrade of the pedway in a totally innovative fashion. It leaves the 2 dimensional format of underground snaking through tunnels basement to basement. It grows vertically and 3 dimensionally, into an elevated skyway. Parts are already existent if you look at the map. Imagine that connects from the basement level to an elevated skyway moving portion with your choice of moving standing in a people mover cart-pod with some seats, or moving walkway similar to underground o'hare pedway systems with moving people conveyor belts. except 5 stories in the air above right-of-way existing el lines inside the Loop following their path, and having "sky terminals" with "sky lobbies" on the 5th floor. But not limited to the 5th floor. Essentialy creating America's first interconnected elevated upper pedway skyway system, providing an intimate and breathtaking views of one of America's finest cities. Tubes would purposely be left rather transparent with more minimalist infrastructure impact with the idea of being able to purposely see clearly through most of the pedway elevated tube system.

I like the idea of being able to bring shared levels of office or vertical retail space (think city target or 900 n michigan or block 37) on the same plane (floor) but on different blocks together, completely accessible with on demand convinece, shelter from weather, and convinence of access to what i want or need to do, or access to certain munincipal offices without needing to go all the way to ground lobby level

There would even be an inter-active picture tag that you could take a pic with your smartphone and it will automatically connect you to pedway navigation discreetly from your mobile device.

I'd even leave the format and fonts of the map similar to maps found of the CTA system inside the subway. I just like how they look. and are simple for anyone to read at a glance.

Or even seperate levels by category - police level, public transit level, maybe a series of interconnected "skybars" on a bar level or something similar. Postal level? bike transit only level? idk the ideas are limitless...

Aleviate or limit some of the pedestrian contact with bikes and traffic flow at street level in certain areas. Some places actually could use some relief in terms or pedestrian traffic at rush hour.

Thoughts? good or not really? Personally id like it if i could take the CTA in, get off into a pedway and walk to a popular destination discreetly underground or scenic route through an elevated level. Like maybe one day be able to access John Hancock lower lobby to take an elevator to the signtature lounge, have a drink with a view, meet a friend, then go back the same way i came, use the cta and walk a few blocks back home. Except you can do much more than just that.

I believe downtown would look quite complex and even more impressive.

I admit i sidetracked myself. what other cities out there use a pedway?

Last edited by JMT; 12-15-2012 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 04:55 AM

583 posts, read 884,478 times
Indianapolis has a massive underground system.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:33 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,091,987 times
Philadelphia's Suburban Station and Market East Station, about 4-5 block apart, are connected underground. You can access multiple office buildings from underground, as well as the Gallery (an urban mall) and the PA Convention Center. You can walk about 10 blocks east/west under Market Street in Philadelphia. And you are able to walk south down Broad Street as well, underground. Based on the OP's map and pictures, though, Philadelphia's underground system is not as large as Chicago's nor is it as nice-looking. However, it is certainly functional and most sections are fairly well utilized.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:20 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times
Cincinnati has a subway system but never actualy brought in the subways due to money

Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 AM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
Montreal has the world's largest undeground pedway network. Little wonder given it's colder than a witches *** up there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_City,_Montreal

The subway metro system stations are connected to shopping malls, large hotels, goverment buildings, and the corridors have shops and eateries within them.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,639 times
I know that St. Paul has some underground walking tunnels, but the skyway system is way bigger. Of course, we have the massive old limestone tunnel system that makes a huge web cut through the bedrock underneath the city, but people don't go in those, since they are damp, ancient, gross, and narrow and sometimes have a lack of oxygen.
Urban Exploration - Undercity.org

Old 12-15-2012, 08:48 AM

932 posts, read 1,944,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Philadelphia's Suburban Station and Market East Station, about 4-5 block apart, are connected underground. You can access multiple office buildings from underground, as well as the Gallery (an urban mall) and the PA Convention Center. You can walk about 10 blocks east/west under Market Street in Philadelphia. And you are able to walk south down Broad Street as well, underground. Based on the OP's map and pictures, though, Philadelphia's underground system is not as large as Chicago's nor is it as nice-looking. However, it is certainly functional and most sections are fairly well utilized.
Not my pictures, but our concourse isn't as bad as you make it sound. Pictures and maps at the link.

Center City Underground Concourse Network Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Indianapolis has a massive underground system.
??? How so?

Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,849,877 times
There's an argument about whether underground/skyway systems detract from retail vitality at ground level. In Minneapolis, it looked like some of the more standard downtown uses--coffee bars, hair salons etc.--might have been drawn into the skyways. But the more unique businesses seemed to be at ground level. I'd also say that Chicago certainly doesn't publicize the underground network the way Minneapolis publicizes the skyways.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:13 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times
Many cities in the middle of the country with horrendous weather have them. They kill business at street level in Houston and Dallas, making it possible to practically "roll up the sidewalks" in the evenings and weekends by closing the tunnels and keeping people inside and underground during weekdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City