Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 06:12 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Since we've sort of eased towards a discussion between Oakland and Brooklyn:

I think one of the primary differences between downtown Oakland and downtown Brooklyn has to do with the fact that many of the wealthy in Brooklyn are concentrated in the neighborhoods surrounding (and with the newer high-rises constructed, within as well) downtown Brooklyn whereas much of the wealth in Oakland is concentrated in the more suburban hills part of the city that are located away from downtown. This probably factors in a lot to why downtown Brooklyn has changed from the 80s, early 90s perspective so quickly.

However, it's not all great as seen in the dearth of major corporate headquarters in downtown Brooklyn as the neighborhood improvement district has consistently reneged on its goals/promises to deliver more office space, but has instead diverted heavily into residential real estate--which is pretty disagreeable. There's a lot of potential for incubating new companies or luring established in and expand on what's happened in neighboring DUMBO (which at this point seems to be doing a lot of what downtown should be doing), but it looks like enough hands were greased to let developers just keep on developing residential and storefronts instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 06:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Since we've sort of eased towards a discussion between Oakland and Brooklyn:

I think one of the primary differences between downtown Oakland and downtown Brooklyn has to do with the fact that many of the wealthy in Brooklyn are concentrated in the neighborhoods surrounding (and with the newer high-rises constructed, within as well) downtown Brooklyn whereas much of the wealth in Oakland is concentrated in the more suburban hills part of the city that are located away from downtown. This probably factors in a lot to why downtown Brooklyn has changed from the 80s, early 90s perspective so quickly.
Maybe, downtown Brooklyn was doing well shopping-wise for a while. It was downscale, and its customers weren't coming from the affluent surrounding neighborhoods but poorer minorities. It was (and still is) very busy by customer volume.

HIP SHOPPERS KEEP FULTON MALL HOPPING 100,000 to 125,000 hit stores each day - NY Daily News

Old 12-10-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Maybe, downtown Brooklyn was doing well shopping-wise for a while. It was downscale, and its customers weren't coming from the affluent surrounding neighborhoods but poorer minorities. It was (and still is) very busy by customer volume.

HIP SHOPPERS KEEP FULTON MALL HOPPING 100,000 to 125,000 hit stores each day - NY Daily News
Yea, I know. Fulton Mall used to be where you can get a lot of great stuff when I first moved here--that was a few years after that article was posted. Its retail offerings resemble more and more a suburban mall with each passing year. Is it less "ghetto"? Sure, but there's a bit of give and take with that. CityPoint's phase 2 opening is pretty much going to be the death of the old Fulton Mall and the maturation of full-scale gentrification for Fulton Mall.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Seems silly for the Fulton Street Mall to resemble a suburban mall when there's the Atlantic Center / Terminal Mall nearby that does exactly that.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Seems silly for the Fulton Street Mall to resemble a suburban mall when there's the Atlantic Center / Terminal Mall nearby that does exactly that.
Yea, you're telling me. Developers want, developers get. It's official: developers want this neighborhood gone, so the city just wants the same.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:27 PM

379 posts, read 468,702 times
Shhh guys Montclair has finally gone to sleep after 72 hours committed to his cause. Maybe if no one replies this asinine argument will mercifully be put to bed.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:50 PM

305 posts, read 416,800 times
If you wanna talk about livability, as in I HAD to jump up and move there right now with not a dollar in my closed bank account and no job. Id say New York, cause atleast if I actually managed to find a job and not die on the streets due to hunger, Id find a affordable place to live...

If you wanna talk about city identity/culture? SF by a longshot. Though as a Black guy I hear recently people would give me that 'what are you doing here' attitude in SF proper... which makes me kinda sad, so as far as living goes, yeah, probably NYC, I wont feel very comfortable having to live like that for the rest of eternity. However SF seems more rich in culture... slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
If those in SF and NYC who actually make those cities what they are, would read this, they'd fall off their chairs laughing, I'm sure. While they're hard at work, those who are doing the school yard arguing on this thread, can Google even more to bolster their city. Soon, they'll have hit all the options, and will need to find even more obscure comparisons to post. It really is fun, though, as there is no end to the lengths they will go. Amazing.
Why cant we have guys like this in our politics?

Old 12-10-2014, 08:33 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, so?.Three blocks up the street is a very vibrant Chinatown, next to a beautiful historic district that is home to a major search engine, a fortune 500 headquarters just up the street, across the street from the headquarters of the most prestigious public university system in the world, a few blocks away from the headquarters of a $50B/ year health care giant whose building also houses BARTs hq, across the way from a gorgeous urban lake and park.
Oh wow corporate headquarters! I take everything back now. If I had only known, I would have enjoyed my visit so much more. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Next time, dont rely on Google Maps. Just ask, k?
Oh I was there. First hand experience sweetheart. Anyway, that's a pretty odd statement from you given that you are not actually challenging anything I have said.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:48 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
Shhh guys Montclair has finally gone to sleep after 72 hours committed to his cause. Maybe if no one replies this asinine argument will mercifully be put to bed.
haha I do wind you guys up so, dont I?

Old 12-10-2014, 08:56 PM

379 posts, read 468,702 times
So admittedly you're a windup aka a troll? Thank God, for a moment there I thought you were serious and potentially in need of psychiatric help. Phew glad that's sorted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City