Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
I thought this picture was kind of funny, and makes light of your claim that people want to get out of Ohio as fast as they can.
Actually, it says that many people from Ohio are smart, imaginitive, driven, inventive and end up very successful. Just because you cannot rocket to the moon from Cincinnati does not exactly mean that the state didn't have a role in making it happen. The saying could easily be, "What is so great about Ohio that it has produced so many successful, famous people?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 10:01 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
I have about 10 friend from Cleveland. And when I say they HATE that city, they hate it! They are always admiring ppl from Philly how there nice and stuff, and how we have so much history, and it is way bigger then they thought, and how they love cheesesteaks (they live here in Philly now). Its crazy when I listen to them. People from Cleveland HATE there city. They say its very depressing, and they hate when they have to visit family back home. I've been to Cleveland. No pride what so ever.
The state is vastly underappreciated, but no moreso than from its own native residents (especially older ones) who have had to listent to 50-60 years of people elsewhere telling them how much it sucked because of industrial decline. The state now, however, is doing well economically (3rd highest job growth the past year), is rebuilding its cities quickly, maintains a low cost of living, great amenities, etc. I'm kind of okay with many people not respecting the state if that means it will never become an ugly sprawl mecca like many Sun Belt states.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Considering i am in the younger generation i can tell you the ones bolded none of the young kids want to move to. Yes there are alot of young people living in these cities but i can tell you we all want to move to Miami, Atlanta, NYC, SF, LA, Chicago and San Diego.
Is 25 young?

I moved from Mpls. to Pittsburgh, and would move to any of the bolded on the list before I moved to San Fran or NY (Cost of living being a big deterrent). Or, Atlanta, Miami, or LA. I might move to Chicago since I have so much family there, and it is pretty good bang for your buck. No offense to anybody from San Diego, but it strikes me as a really fake, "disneyfied" city that I have no interest in (and yes, I have been there).

Anecdotally, I knew lots of New York and Chicago transplants in Minneapolis, and the vast majority of them loved it and never wanted to leave.

I also don't think that Minneapolis is behind Austin or Portland by any means, as some people are suggesting. Minneapolis has had hipsters longer than pretty much anywhere in the country besides New York....they've been migrating there for all of the usual hipster reasons: art and music is thriving, strong economy, low COL, etc. It has not been as popular with the people that follow the hipsters, however (out of touch old people, for instance), since the weather stinks...

Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I am not from california, i live in ohio and i can tell you that all my high school friends last year all they talked about was how much they hated ohio and how they cant wait to leave this state and go to the citites which i listed and i no i do not know everyone's perceptive but again i am in college now and the younger generation PREFERS those cities again everyone is different. Just because i didnt list your mistake on the lake doesnt mean im wrong. Also just because people want to live somewhere doesnt mean they actualy live their i know alot people that want to move to big cities but they dont, they have to face reality and go somehwere that will do the best for them.
No offense, but high school grads aren't that desirable of a demographic. They tend to not have jobs or money.

I know a handful of kids who went to places like San Diego State for college (they wanted to party). They usually ended up in a place like Minneapolis/Chicago/Seattle/Philly/DC/Pittsburgh afterwards, because that's where the best trade-off of wages and COL was in their field....

Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
To be fair, Minneapolis is still probably a regional draw. Smaller places like Portland and Austin get national attention, the type of cities people are moving FROM LA or NYC to move to. Minneapolis might be at that level one day but it isn't yet.
Minneapolis has been that for 20+ years, actually...

Old 12-27-2012, 10:54 AM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Actually, it says that many people from Ohio are smart, imaginitive, driven, inventive and end up very successful. Just because you cannot rocket to the moon from Cincinnati does not exactly mean that the state didn't have a role in making it happen. The saying could easily be, "What is so great about Ohio that it has produced so many successful, famous people?"
I feel sorry for anyone who attempts to brighten your day with a little levity.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:14 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
Minneapolis has been that for 20+ years, actually...
Are you saying Minneapolis is more of draw to move to than Portland or Austin for people in the 20-30 demographic? The key word here is move, not what a place might already have. Or just people in general? Because Portland and Austin attract a certain caveat of hip in the arts/music that Minneapolis is just not at. People are moving from ALL OVER the country to go to those cities, they are hyped up like crazy, no matter if the hype is worth it or not, they have the hype and have had it for awhile while Minneapolis has not, no matter if Minneapolis is a better city or has more going on. Anecdotaly, I've never met a SINGLE person that wanted to move to Minneapolis, where as I've probably met dozens who have talked about moving to Portland or Austin, with many actually doing so in the past 10 years living in Florida, San Francisco and Chicago. I'm not saying Minneapolis is BEHIND Portland and Austin, but Portland and Austin are definitely more on the radar. The only two people I've met from Minneapolis ended up moving to Portland and Denver respectively. Now maybe they are moving to Minneapolis if they already live in say, Madison, Wisconsin or something, but people are trading LA and SF to go to Austin and Portland and have been in substantial numbers enough to change the demographics of those cities. Minneapolis has not seen that kind of national influx of young demographics from all over the country to my knowledge, and I'm sure there is some census data out there somewhere to prove it.

Last edited by grapico; 12-27-2012 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-27-2012, 03:48 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Well thank goodness you don't have to worry about where everyone else decides to live and we don't have to worry about where you chose not to!
Don't get mad. I am just one man and that's my opinion.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:53 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Pittsburgh should also be added to the list. We're seeing an influx of younger professionals and "hipsters" as of late, not unlike what we've seen previously in places like Austin and Portland.
You know I'm a Burgh fan...But I have to tell the truth...Pittsburgh is still a heavy underdog that still suffers from its half a century old misconceptions among many. Which is why the Burgh still has that WOW! Shock factor that hits nearly everyone that's never been there before and that only know about it based on those past misconceptions.

Sure once you're in Pittsburgh you can see how it matches up well with the Portland, Seattle, Austin, SF and Boston of the world. But people that have never been there its still a Smokey, "Hell with the Lid off", Backwards place from what they've heard and been tough, and until Pittsburgh "offically" posts a positive migration record, it will only feed that outdated misconception.

IMO it will take another decade or so before Pittsburgh is completely devoid of its tarnished past and present-day Pittsburgh is known in more mainstream and prevalent. Then I think you will hear the Burgh listed alongside the Bostons, Seattles, Austins, DCs, Portlands, in relevant lists.

Trust me I long for the day when we stop using population numbers as the SOLE metric for a locales prosperity, as it is now a serious lagging indicator, since we're becoming a Ultra Mobile Society. No longer does GDP health and prosperity move in lock stop with population numbers. Pittsburgh and other cities are ever more proving indication of that.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:52 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Are you saying Minneapolis is more of draw to move to than Portland or Austin for people in the 20-30 demographic? The key word here is move, not what a place might already have. Or just people in general? Because Portland and Austin attract a certain caveat of hip in the arts/music that Minneapolis is just not at. People are moving from ALL OVER the country to go to those cities, they are hyped up like crazy, no matter if the hype is worth it or not, they have the hype and have had it for awhile while Minneapolis has not, no matter if Minneapolis is a better city or has more going on. Anecdotaly, I've never met a SINGLE person that wanted to move to Minneapolis, where as I've probably met dozens who have talked about moving to Portland or Austin, with many actually doing so in the past 10 years living in Florida, San Francisco and Chicago. I'm not saying Minneapolis is BEHIND Portland and Austin, but Portland and Austin are definitely more on the radar. The only two people I've met from Minneapolis ended up moving to Portland and Denver respectively. Now maybe they are moving to Minneapolis if they already live in say, Madison, Wisconsin or something, but people are trading LA and SF to go to Austin and Portland and have been in substantial numbers enough to change the demographics of those cities. Minneapolis has not seen that kind of national influx of young demographics from all over the country to my knowledge, and I'm sure there is some census data out there somewhere to prove it.
And it probably never will see the kind of national attention Portland or Austin get because people are infatuated with weather and the concept of "easy living" (even if living in Portland or Austin is no "easier" than anywhere else). But it does have a national pull, just a much weaker one than Portland or Austin (MUCH weaker). Global warming has done kind things to the metro lately but until that's officially the new weather and/or until it becomes a more temperate climate to live in than other popular or populous cities it -- like Chicagoland -- will likely always be at that 2nd or 3rd tier when it comes to popular places to relocate.

And to your point, the young, WASP population of Minneapolis is probably stable at best, with as many leaving as arriving from other places, but the primary source for population growth is actually lower/middle income minorities and immigrants currently. The difference between it and say, Seattle or Denver or Austin, is that it cannot retain its younger hipster population as well (and in some cases, those cities see more immigrants as well, especially Hispanic immigrants/migrants).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City