Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 09:44 PM

46 posts, read 76,808 times

Advertisements

Ohio has a pretty intense 3-way rivalry, and each of the three cities has some pretty major things going for it... that's why things can get really bitter. (The only other states that could possibly have a legitimate 3 or 4-way battle are North Carolina and Florida, but I don't think their cities are as evenly matched as the 3 C's).

Cleveland: Largest CSA and region. Best art museum and symphony. Best public transportation system by far. Slightly more diverse than the other two.
Columbus: Largest city proper and fastest growth rate. OSU students maintain urban vibrancy. Most socially liberal. Great suburban shopping. Seat of government.
Cincinnati: Largest MSA. Best architecture, largest corporations. Beautiful urban neighborhoods.

And the Achilles heels of each:
Cleveland: crippling population loss + crime
Columbus: boring and bland
Cincinnati: extreme conservatism + crime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 03:19 AM

507 posts, read 806,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Valentro is not from California (I know him so...yeah...)
justme02 never lived in the Bay Area like I did (though I don't know his exact experiences there), and in all my 3 years living in the Bay, I don't remember getting that much hostility being from LA

I don't remember 18montclair nor ScrantiX ever saying anything about it, nor did I remember RaymondCharlesLives say something about it. Now unless you have direct quotes from the above 3 members, then I don't know what to tell you.

And appealing to popular opinion, even if it was valid in this case (which it's not), is false logic. If it was the right thing to do, then everyone would still have to believe the world is flat.

The fact you keep replying to me and won't let it go means you are getting pretty defensive about it, since my initial response to you wasn't anywhere near as hostile as you are being to me.

You don't like how I characterize Angelenos, when I was pretty specific that I wasn't generalizing Angelenos as much as you were. Considering I'm an Angeleno, wouldn't that make you wrong if it was meant to cover all Angelenos?

Let it go, it's not a big deal.
Hahaha you're a funny dude, you try come off as this super knowledgeable guy, which you probably are as I've admired you posts in the past for backing them up with actual stats and not just opinions, but this is one debate where you're wrong and you just need to let it go. Remember you are the one who started this whole debate with me to begin with, maybe it's true that you had a different experience than most but me like many others have had a different experience, show me something other than your opinion like a blog, a forum where people validate what you're saying, I can show you thread after thread with people pretty much saying what I said from the begining.
Click on this one for example
//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...e-hate-la.html

or this one
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...-why-hate.html

or this one
Why Hate On Southern California? | San Francisco | Yelp

I know threads are full of opinions, but at least it's something rather than your experience.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:45 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
After she got married her parents were against the idea of her moving to Los Angeles with her husband (who actually lived in Los Angeles both before & after the wedding) because they being the insular hypocritical Indians that they are (jealous of America in general) viewed Los Angeles as "all that is wrong with the United States" based off what they've seen & heard.
This is a common first and second generation phenomenon, the "cultural labeling". South Asians are the most successful Asian population in the U.S. so it's not surprising that some families would adopt aspirational attitudes that reflect casual, broad, cognitively convenient biases. Oddly enough, I remember an old post on CD from a NY Korean-American who felt Filipinos are the embarrassment of Asians, even though Filipinos in fact rank second to Indians for economic and academic success among Asian-Americans. Another example of facts not supporting opinions. It's also funny, and my own experience, that your relatives live in Cupertino and San Jose and maintain this attitude.

I've found that when you quiz them on details for a real comparison--art, music, literature, history, even basic amenities--they come up short. I have found that the East Bay has less of this attitude, probably because it has less of the image clout of SF and Silicon Valley. But SF is changing. There's still a kind of one-sided anti-L.A. game, but I think because there is more wealth there's lots more travel south and inter-connectivity than there was before. It is strange, though, to hear people say the anti-L.A. sentiment doesn't really exist at all anymore. It sure does.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:55 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,561,298 times
Nashville and Memphis
Louisville and Lexington
Omaha and Lincoln
Birmingham and Mongomery
New Orleans and Baton Rouge

Old 12-28-2012, 03:07 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Nashville and Memphis
Louisville and Lexington
Omaha and Lincoln
Birmingham and Mongomery
New Orleans and Baton Rouge
Nashville vs. Memphis, for sure...but Knoxville and Chattanooga factor in to a degree. Or you could say East vs. Middle vs. West.

Birmingham vs....the rest of Alabama. Montgomery is behind Mobile and Huntsville in terms of just about everything. It's only saving grace is it's the seat of Alabama's government.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:20 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,913 times
Los Angeles/San Francisco/San Diego
Dallas/Houston

I suppose you could toss the other cities in those states into the fray, maybe my perception is mistaken, but it seems like Austin, San Antonio, Sacramento and so forth are competing for different demographics/on a different level and not as directly with those cities. I could be very wrong about that though.

and there are states with multiple similarly-sized cities where they're also directly competing

Oklahoma City/Tulsa
Kansas City/St Louis
Madison/Milwaukee
Cleveland/Columbus/Cincinnati
Charlotte/Raleigh

Old 01-22-2013, 09:01 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,947,006 times
SF vs LA. YES IT'S TRUE! San Diego not so much. San Diego, despite being the clear cut 2nd largest city in California really doesn't seem to care. I think the only issue is political, as SD is generally a much more conservative city.

I can for sure support the "SF hates LA and LA can't understand why" situation 100%. But I think the bigger rivalry is NorCal vs SoCal. Again, a little more one-sided in favor of the north. It could be anything, sports, economic prowess, culture, intelect...etc.

I just think SF/LA is the main event in the NorCal/SoCal "rivalry". And about the whole country hating on LA, I agree with that but can't help but notice how LA just really doesn't seem to care.

There are popular examples: Conan O'Brien during a visit to the Bay referred to SF as "like LA, but with books." The crowd erupted in a frenzy, gave him a standing ovation and basically threw a parade for him and declared a holiday in honor of him...lol

LA never seems to care enough to get butthurt. It's not that there is no civic pride, there certainly is. But LA seems to have a sense of humor. Whenever SF or anyother city for that matter are mentioned to an LA crowd it's met with an almost innocent "oh, cool!" type response. Conan O'Brien(again) while still airing in NYC did a skit with a guy dressed like the Empire State Building fighting a dude dressed like one of LA's popular buildings. The NY crowd laughed hysterically at LA's buildings as if architectural stature was the only thing on earth that mattered! It was kinda frightening lol. Upon arriving in LA O'Brien redid the skit and the LA crowd laughed and enjoyed it for what it was: a joke. It was the Empire State Building vs the Capitol Records Building and a Lady Footlocker on Pico blvd (Randy's Doughnuts would later jump in and prove instrumental in turning the tide in LA's favor ). Everybody loved it and laughed at the jab towards LA. It's like most other cities take themselves too seriously. LA can take a joke.

Another example was when a reporter was asking New Yorkers why they think the Oscars should be held in NY and not LA. All they could say was "New York's where it's at...", no reasoning just self-promotion. Yet in spite of all that, we are led to believe that it is Angelenos who are conceited, shallow and pompous.

It's strange how that works out.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 AM

93 posts, read 158,237 times
For the most part people in LA don't give a rats ass what any body else thinks of the city
As far as rivalry between LA and SF is not as bad as some people might think
as usual the underdog "SF" is a bit jelous just as verybody else for the all the attention LA gets all over the news. celebrities, media etc.
overall SF & LA compliment each other well within the state, one has what the other one lacks
and that works to the advantage of both.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,049 times
A lot of Suburbs within metros compete with the core cities.
Seattle and Bellevue
Portland and Beaverton
St Louis and Clayton
Phoenix and Mesa or Scottsdale
Every City in the Virginia Beach area competes with eachother

Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
To Houstonians & Dallasities the world doesn't matter. There could be an atom bomb somewhere in Alaska going off and they wouldn't blink at it because they're so into each other. No other city matters to Houstonians other than Dallas, no other city matters to Dallasites other than Houston.

At this point though, I would say they mutually have an annoyance from Austin.
None of this is choose to the truth.
I lived in Houston for 10 years and Dallas was Pretty much a non issue. i would say that San Antonio and Austin were brouggt up more than dallas. SA seems to be a popular weekend spot for houstonians while Austin seemed popular with the younger kids. Dallas i heard a little about in terms of business or american airlines layover.

Goodson is also very in touch with world events. Its stupid to say that bombs would be going off in alaska and houston and dallas would be talking about each other. there were a lot of fundraisers in the news for families of the connecticutt shooting victims. Even the texans raised money.

There are useless comparisons in the news, but probably once or twice a year. Your characterization is a major over exaggeration.

As for the other cuties hating austin, that is more internet mischaracterization. Growing up all i heard was Austin is so nice.
The Austin backlash is from posters who heard austin was shangri la and came right back home after being underwhelmed. But you wood be hard pressed to find the average houston or dallas resident ragging on austin. Conversly however i have met quite a few people on the streets of austin who had a long list of bad things to say about houston, dallas and san antonio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City